Speculation: Olli Maatta

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
If Maatta keeps underperforming and showing no signs of improvement should we leave him unprotected for the expansion draft next year? I know that we're the opposite of deep on defense, but what if he struggles next year too, would it be smarter to let Vegas have him especially with that contract he has?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He doesn't turn 22 until August. It takes time for even great defensemen to truly blossom. Have some patience.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He doesn't turn 22 until August. It takes time for even great defensemen to truly blossom. Have some patience.

Yeah people are freaking out on this too much. He definitely needs to improve his skating and his confidence has maybe taken a hit. The real problem here is not that he sucks but that we made teh classic mistake: we started relying on him WAY too early. Now he's had some injuries and bad games and his confidence is down. We rushed him. At his age you don't give up on him yet. This is yet another classic Penguins Mgmt ****-up (as much from the previous regime as this one). We need to just back off, take pressure off the kid, let him work on his skating this summer, given him limited minutes until he shows he can avoid getting walked 3x a game.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
He can't get it done right now, but I'm not worried about his future. Just needs an actual, good training, cancer and injury free offseason for once.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's pretty clear that he needs to work on his skating, that's the only hole in his game that I've noticed. He either needs to improve on his skating or change his game so that he doesn't get caught in situations that put him at risk of getting walked as frequently. I'm not worried yet. If he doesn't improve next year then that's when this can become a serious discussion.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Currently, he is the worst defenseman left in the playoffs. I mean, the whole playoffs. He doesn´t belong on the ice right now. But give him a full offseason and judge from there. He is awful now, he won´t get it done now. It´s up to Sullivan to finally scratch him. Sullivan needs to be better, he was badly outcoached in game 1.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Look how long it took for Dumo to be truly ready and reliable, guys. We handled him the right way. We handled Maatta the wrong way. Doesn't mean he's not skilled and dosn't have upside at 21. He's got a long career ahead of him. Last thing you want to do is trade him off to some team like Chicago or Dallas who will develop him the right way, and he ends up causing us problems later or at a minimum making us regret we gave up on him.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This thread is going nowhere fast. I get that people are frustrated with him but this is as much on the coaching staff as on the player.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
This thread is going nowhere fast. I get that people are frustrated with him but this is as much on the coaching staff as on the player.
Yep. Maatta is playing awful hockey. Sullivan is an idiot for playing him. As simple as that. Unfortunately, Dumoulin´s injury complicates matters. He should still be benched though, even if it means that both Pouliot and Schultz are playing. Maatta is useless now. Not only that, he´s hurting us every game.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Yep. Maatta is playing awful hockey. Sullivan is an idiot for playing him. As simple as that.

I mean what do you want him to do? Sure he could dress Schultz who's an upgrade over Maatta atm, but what now that Dumoulin is most likely injured? Who do we dress now, Maatta or Pouliot? Do we call up someone from WBS? It's actually crazy that we got to this point come to think of it, especially with guys like Lovejoy, Cole, Pouliot and Maatta as our bottom 3.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
It's his skating, which has been poor from the get go. You don't become slower from not playing, you get rusty. As it stands, Olli Maatta is the anti-thesis of the direction this team is headed with being fast.

Maybe give him one more year, if he doesn't turn it up, which he most likely won't because again - it's his skating that is getting him in trouble - then you take what you can get for him. Or if it's that bad, you absolutely leave him open for the expansion draft and get out from that contract.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I mean what do you want him to do? Sure he could dress Schultz who's an upgrade over Maatta atm, but what now that Dumoulin is most likely injured? Who do we dress now, Maatta or Pouliot? Do we call up someone from WBS? It's actually crazy that we got to this point come to think of it, especially with guys like Lovejoy, Cole, Pouliot and Maatta as our bottom 3.
It should have never come to this point, but yeah, as of now Dumoulin´s injury complicates matters. But I would still bench him, he is worse than both Schultz, Pouliot. The worst defenseman out of our 8 defensemen needs to sit, it´s that simple. He brings nothing to the table, only problems. Enough is enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad