Speculation: Olli Maatta

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, all his issues stem from his foot speed/energy levels.
The kid knows it and just isn't as confident as he was pre-all the injuries/cancer.

If anyone can improve those 2 areas with him, it'll be Andy O'Brien.
The guy knows his stuff when it comes to the science of nutrition/meds, body mechanics, improving energy output, all that good stuff.

I would've shut him down earlier and let him work with O'Brien who is on the Pens staff now. Let him get sustained, tangible improved results and then i would've plugged him back in.
It's pretty much impossible to do so during the grind of a season if he's playing regularly/travelling and getting more injuries, etc.

Pens have made a huge commitment with the new contract and i am sure he'll do everything in his power to be better. I have no doubt there.

I'm positive we'll have a better Olli next year. How much better? I dunno but he'll be better.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't think Maatta has a skating issue. I think Maatta has an energy and endurance issue, which is a direct effect of his thyroid issues. It takes a while to get the medications correct. Maatta was a perfectly fine skater when he came into the league, and though every player can use some work in that regard, I think the lack of speed is a secondary thing to his overall energy and endurance.

Nailed it JT. This is about recovery from cancer. It often takes a few years. And thyroid meds are notoriously tough for athletes.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Nailed it JT. This is about recovery from cancer. It often takes a few years. And thyroid meds are notoriously tough for athletes.

When you're really low, I'd compare it to being dragged out of bed at 4 am and then trying to be at your best athletically/physically....but your metabolism is barely ticking over.
Playing an NHL playoff game in that state....can't be fun.

Best to Olli.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Energy levels could very well be present, but it looks like he's skating through peanut butter whenever he tries to get up to speed. Doesn't matter if it's the 1st period or OT.

Hopefully they get his meds right and he's able to really put work into his skating this summer. That's his only real, glaring flaw imo (but holy **** is it a glaring flaw :laugh:).

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
What's troubling is that it's not just the foot speed. Obviously he's never been fast but he had the intelligence to cover for it through positioning, stickwork, etc. So not only is he now slower, which can be explained away a bit by the aforementioned injury woes, but it seems like the 'hockey IQ' has dropped as well. On that goal the other day, he didn't just get beat but he took a god-awful angle and put himself in a terrible position to make the defensive play, speed or no speed. That could be the confidence issues and that needs to be rebuilt. Having him out there at this point is not only harming the team, it's harming the potential for Maatta to rebuild that confidence in his own game.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't think anyone wants him in there right now. The debate stems from some people being so blind and lacking in the lessons of history that they're ready to trade the kid away at 21 because he had a lousy year.

I'm not in the camp that is asking for him to be "traded", however I am of the opinion that that extension at that cap hit is a bit of a gamble. A lot will hinge on how well he can bounce back next season and address the glaring issues over teh summer.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
You don't leave a 23-25 year old defenseman who has shown great potential unprotected because he's had a rough stretch of games. People really need to pump the brakes on the Maatta panicking

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He probably has a skating and an energy level issue. His lateral movement and pivots are absolute garbage right now. His brain is still there. To me it looks like a guy who knows what to do, but isn't adjusting for what his body can do right now. Without knowing his energy level / medication issues, it's hard to say how much can be fixed with some rest, power skating, and workouts.

His potential and upside are too high not to find out though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Energy levels could very well be present, but it looks like he's skating through peanut butter whenever he tries to get up to speed. Doesn't matter if it's the 1st period or OT.

Hopefully they get his meds right and he's able to really put work into his skating this summer. That's his only real, glaring flaw imo (but holy **** is it a glaring flaw :laugh:).

The organization really has to pull a Ryan Whitney with Maatta. No one really knew how bad Ryan's feet were before we traded him. They need to really keep on top of Maatta and his thyroid issues, as if they believe he can't fully recover, and will sort of be limited in his workload because of it, they should maybe dangle him a bit.

It's a cold and callous way of thinking, but this is a business.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Anaheim still gave up what they did for Whitney with the knowledge that he was going to need another major foot surgery in the summer. That's always seemed kind of crazy to me.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Anaheim still gave up what they did for Whitney with the knowledge that he was going to need another major foot surgery in the summer. That's always seemed kind of crazy to me.

I'm not sure they knew everything. From what I remember, everything that was being said was that once Ryan healed from these surgeries, he'd be good as new. The organization had intel that it was never going to happen and they flipped him before he completely lost value.

I deeply hope that Maatta returns to form, because if he can get back to where he was, he's a #2 defenseman all day long on any team in this league. If the organization hears some little birdies hinting that Maatta may be limited because of his ailments...

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I felt that his recent extension was a bit of gamble. If he commits himself to improving the ongoing weaknesses in his game over the course of the summer then I'll feel better about it. If not however, then it was a bad move on JR's part.

Seriously, after everything, are fans really questioning Maatta's commitment?

He has not had a healthy off season to commit to anything. There was the shoulder injury and botched surgery and hurrying back and another surgery and cancer and concussions etc.

Scroll back your own board a couple of years and you had a sure fire Norris finalist in your hands and now people act like Maatta has no tools or even worse lacks commitment. He is 21 and he hasn't had a chance to work on anything for years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seriously, after everything, are fans really questioning Maatta's commitment?

He has not had a healthy off season to commit to anything. There was the shoulder injury and botched surgery and hurrying back and another surgery and cancer and concussions etc.

Scroll back your own board a couple of years and you had a sure fire Norris finalist in your hands and now people act like Maatta has no tools or even worse lacks commitment. He is 21 and he hasn't had a chance to work on anything for years.

Sounds like HFboards?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bumping this thread. A couple of weeks ago, some people were talking about getting rid of him. His play since sitting out a couple of games (which has happened even to Subban and other top young Dmen), has been sensational. He has been instrumental in key goals at key times (like the Eric Fehr goal last night) and has just been a rock defensively and shutting down SJ's best players, and great on the breakout.

Anyone still want to get rid of this guy?

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
Bumping this thread. A couple of weeks ago, some people were talking about getting rid of him. His play since sitting out a couple of games (which has happened even to Subban and other top young Dmen), has been sensational. He has been instrumental in key goals at key times (like the Eric Fehr goal last night) and has just been a rock defensively and shutting down SJ's best players, and great on the breakout.

Shh, don't jinx it:-P

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I sincerely hope people didn't want to get rid of a 21 year old dman who, despite some struggles, is already a top 4 guy. I think it was more frustration due to his play.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Please take note with those who posted and those of us who didn't.:nod:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just thought he could use some time off.
He got it and he's showing his worth right now.
Good to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->