Speculation: Olli Maatta

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It takes a long time for a person to get thyroid medication correct. Until they are on the right dosage, they will be very tired and lack energy. Oli Maatta looks like a guy who is still figuring this process out, and him being injured in the offseason doesn't help.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I was really hoping that would happen.

I know that his military service would equate to little more than a couple weeks of camping, but that's a couple weeks that he needs to be spent either resting or working on his skating. He can always fulfill his duty in a more typical off-season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You'd think having thyroid cancer, a recent concussion and a shoulder surgery would preclude someone from fulfilling their conscription. Hell, that might be enough to rule someone ineligible for the US army.

Maybe just have him do some public service stuff and donate some of his free time and move on.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Hope he gets on the power skating regimen sooner than later.

Definitely. It was rather funny though how bad he was in several games against the Caps/Bolts, but played solid defensive hockey after Daley went down. Don't really know what changed for him, but maybe the rest did him some good.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Definitely. It was rather funny though how bad he was in several games against the Caps/Bolts, but played solid defensive hockey after Daley went down. Don't really know what changed for him, but maybe the rest did him some good.

I think it was the rest, combined with some soul searching. I'm sure he knew how everyone was critical of him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think it was the rest, combined with some soul searching. I'm sure he knew how everyone was critical of him.

The kid has his head screwed on very straight. He works through stuff the right way, doesnt get frustrated.

You hold on to Olli. He's just going to get better as time goes on.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Yeah people are freaking out on this too much. He definitely needs to improve his skating and his confidence has maybe taken a hit. The real problem here is not that he sucks but that we made teh classic mistake: we started relying on him WAY too early. Now he's had some injuries and bad games and his confidence is down. We rushed him. At his age you don't give up on him yet. This is yet another classic Penguins Mgmt ****-up (as much from the previous regime as this one). We need to just back off, take pressure off the kid, let him work on his skating this summer, given him limited minutes until he shows he can avoid getting walked 3x a game.

Approaching Olli's misfortunes from a different dynamic, he more likely than not returned too soon from a labrum tear repair procedure. The remedy required repeating the surgery and the subsequent long term rehab e.g., 7-9 months!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->