Value of: Olli Maatta to Toronto

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Most Pens fans will want Nylander and that isn't happening. Considering how the season is going, I would offer up our first round pick which will likely end up 16-22

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Most Pens fans will want Nylander and that isn't happening. Considering how the season is going, I would offer up our first round pick which will likely end up 16-22

And why do the Penguins trade Maatta for a mid 1st round pick in a weak 1st round?

m302291

Jun 2, 2015

We wouldn't ask for Nylander nor would we accept a first round pick.

We would need an expansion exempt defenseman who is ready to play in the NHL, and, pending on the quality and readiness of said defenseman, an additional pick/prospect.

The ask would be Zaitsev straight up but I know the answer to that so there is no deal to be made

EDIT: I just saw that Zaitzev is 25 years old and is currently playing 3rd pair. I thought he was a few years younger and playing at 3D calibre? (or maybe that was just LeafNation hype) Has something about his play changed in the past few months?

EDIT 2: I corrected myself on the second page, but I'm still getting vitriolic responses (as is HF custom) to my first edit so I'll repeat myself here. I saw that he was playing 3rd pair in the stickied lines thread. I didn't realize that the d pairings were not in order in that thread the same way the forward lines are.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In what world would trading Maatta for a mid-to-late first round pick help the Penguins? They're trying to win Cups now. Trading a top four blueliner for an asset that *might*, if all things pan out, eventually be a player in 4 or 5 seasons makes zero sense.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

We would need an expansion exempt defenseman who is ready to play in the NHL, and, pending on the quality and readiness of said defenseman, an additional pick/prospect.

The ask would be Zaitsev straight up but I know the answer to that so there is no deal to be made

EDIT: I just saw that Zaitzev is 25 years old and is currently playing 3rd pair. I thought he was a few years younger and playing at 3D calibre? (or maybe that was just LeafNation hype) Has something about his play changed in the past few months?

3D pair, where'd you get that from? He's our on our top pair night in and night out...

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Where did you see 3rd pair? He recently passed Rielly to lead the leafs in TOI. He's actually looking better as the season goes, really starting to skate the puck up himself now, and looking to create more offence, he's approaching good No. 2 level (started as a No. 4).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

He plays on our top pair, with Rielly every game, now Rielly went down they split Gardiner and Zaitsev up to split the 2 only good dmen we have onto 2 different pairs. Not really sure where you got 3rd pair from at all. Also not a chance in hell I trade Zaitsev for Maata. Our 3rd pair is very obviously Hunwick and Polak

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We need to find a trading partner that is looking for wingers, that's all we have available to trade.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Where did you see 3rd pair? He recently passed Rielly to lead the leafs in TOI. He's actually looking better as the season goes, really starting to skate the puck up himself now, and looking to create more offence, he's approaching good No. 2 level (started as a No. 4).

he is better than Maata simple as that, Pitts adds in a trade for Maata

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Zaitsev is not playing 3rd pair and was brought in from the KHL. He has been excellent and trading him for Matta would make us worse.

Doug The Thug Glatt

Dec 31, 2016
Toronto
I never understand these trades where its a defenseman for a defenseman. If a team needs to trade for a D they obviously don't have one to trade back. And if they had a young D ready for the nhl why would they deal him? I mean there will be some exceptions but generally i dont see trades like that ever happening.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
An asset is an asset, the pick could get moved afterwards for a player

And now the Pens have a big gaping hole in their top four. How's that 1st round pick helping that, exactly?

I mean, do people even think about the needs of the other team when making proposals?

If there's one area the Pens could do to upgrade it's their defense. So the solution in this thread is to trade a defenseman for a draft pick? :help:

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Maatta is not what the Leafs need nor can they afford him.
They need a top 4 RHD that is either 2 way or D first.
AKA. Tanev, Seabrook etc.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Gotta love guys shooting down trades when they obviously don't watch our team. The Leafs roster is stacked with talent. Tons of pieces outside of our big three would make great additions to any teams roster.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
And now the Pens have a big gaping hole in their top four. How's that 1st round pick helping that, exactly?

I mean, do people even think about the needs of the other team when making proposals?

If there's one area the Pens could do to upgrade it's their defense. So the solution in this thread is to trade a defenseman for a draft pick? :help:

Well I didn't start the thread, in terms of needs the Leafs and Pens make bad trading partners. Both teams have holes defensively and in terms of personnel, the blue chip players we have aren't being moved for anything but a legit top 2 defenceman. Only other trade that would make sense would be something around Connor Brown for Maata.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad