Value of: Olli Maatta to Toronto

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why would the Pens trade Maatta in win-now mode?
Because Maatta's injuries/illnesses [read: cancer and mumps do not make you 'injury-prone'] have put his progression on the back track. He peaks as a low-end top-2 guy, and we know because we saw flashes of such brilliance his rookie year. What's he done wrong? Amid everything, his legs haven't been back to where they were. He's a moveable part because the win-now mentality demands that, if he's in the top-4, he has to be consistent. He can't be counted upon, at least when it's needed, because he hasn't had his game back 100% yet.

Yes, he played well in the SCFs. Totally solid defense, and it's obvious why teams want him. But more often than not, he's had trouble keeping up with the speed of the Penguins in the regular season, and perhaps it's a concern that you don't want to have out of a 3-4D in the playoffs.

Pens are decidedly thin at LW and D--namely PMD.

So, what I'd ask is that the Leafs take Marc Andre Fleury (20% retained) @ 4.6m/y and Olli Maatta for James Van Riemsdyk and Stuart Percy OR Connor Carrick. For Gardiner/Reilly, I'd include Derrick Pouliot and add maybe as much as 10% more salary retention on Fleury. Pouliot is another guy whose development is in flux because the Penguins have had six better defensemen as a product of win-now mode, and he's been stuck (albeit doing very well) in the AHL. He's made errors at the NHL level, and Pittsburgh hasn't had the patience to let him find his way. If need be, I'd talk swapping lower picks to even out whatever playing field needed it.

I know Freddy Andersen is doing well in Toronto, but I think MAF is more trustworthy in the long haul. His play has been very good when he's in the net consistently.

It looks like this:

MAF @ 20% retained
Maatta
for
JVR + Percy OR Carrick

or

MAF at 30% retained
Maatta
Pouliot
for
JVR + Gardiner OR Reilly

What I see is that Toronto gets two higher-end very young defensemen who will have the opportunity to come into form in a young organization and a veteran goaltender with a bit of term left and two cup rings to his name to back the corps, while the Penguins get their impact LW and defense that could likely help now or defensive prospects that could be a better fit for the system.

I disagree. I would not do either of those trades.

Penguins have: Sheary, Guentzel, Hagelin, Kunitz, Kuhnhackl, Rust (if needed) on the LW. We are not "thin" at LW. We are not thin on the wing at all. We are thin at defense...and you want to send a top 4 dman out for a top 6 LW that we don't need? Sorry can't do it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It really isn't. The guy has played 3.5 seasons and has missed 83 games.

2013-14: 78 games
2014-15: 20 games (cancer, mumps, shoulder surgury)
2015-16: 67 games
2016-17: 46 games (out of 48 played)

Olli "hurt all the time" Määttä

Take out one season with multiple setbacks, including thyroid cancer, and the most he's missed in a year is 15 games. Don't be disingenuous as if he is constantly on the IR.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Take out one season with multiple setbacks, including thyroid cancer, and the most he's missed in a year is 15 games. Don't be disingenuous as if he is constantly on the IR.

Yup.

He's not missing 3-5 games here and there with little ouchies. His hurt his shoulder at the end of 2013 and came back. Then he got pushed into the boards and the door opened on his smashing his hip. That took a bit to come back from. And these are injuries that can happen to anyone at anytime.

I do not consider Maatta injury prone at all.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
MAF at 30% retained
Maatta
Pouliot
for
JVR + Gardiner OR Reilly

What I see is that Toronto gets two higher-end very young defensemen who will have the opportunity to come into form in a young organization and a veteran goaltender with a bit of term left and two cup rings to his name to back the corps, while the Penguins get their impact LW and defense that could likely help now or defensive prospects that could be a better fit for the system.

We trade one of our best defencemen and our best "expendable" trading chip that's on pace for over 65 points for a current AHL defenceman that has yet to prove that he fully belongs in the NHL, a goalie that we don't need at all that has a large cap hit, and Maatta? Sounds good to me!

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
We wouldn't ask for Nylander nor would we accept a first round pick.

We would need an expansion exempt defenseman who is ready to play in the NHL, and, pending on the quality and readiness of said defenseman, an additional pick/prospect.

The ask would be Zaitsev straight up but I know the answer to that so there is no deal to be made

EDIT: I just saw that Zaitzev is 25 years old and is currently playing 3rd pair. I thought he was a few years younger and playing at 3D calibre? (or maybe that was just LeafNation hype) Has something about his play changed in the past few months?[/QUOTE]

Huh? yes he is 25 but what are you reading about a 3rd pairing D man?

He plays with Rielly on the top pair and plays 20+ mins a night. Also on the 2nd PP unit. Watch a leafs game before you EDIT your post.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Zaitzev and Reilly are so good in their offence, they have together score one goal less than Polak who is garbage ?. You can score goal without assist but no assist without goal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Because Maatta's injuries/illnesses [read: cancer and mumps do not make you 'injury-prone'] have put his progression on the back track. He peaks as a low-end top-2 guy, and we know because we saw flashes of such brilliance his rookie year. What's he done wrong? Amid everything, his legs haven't been back to where they were. He's a moveable part because the win-now mentality demands that, if he's in the top-4, he has to be consistent. He can't be counted upon, at least when it's needed, because he hasn't had his game back 100% yet.

Yes, he played well in the SCFs. Totally solid defense, and it's obvious why teams want him. But more often than not, he's had trouble keeping up with the speed of the Penguins in the regular season, and perhaps it's a concern that you don't want to have out of a 3-4D in the playoffs.

So, what I'd ask is that the Leafs take Marc Andre Fleury (20% retained) @ 4.6m/y and Olli Maatta for James Van Riemsdyk and Stuart Percy OR Connor Carrick. For Gardiner/Reilly, I'd include Derrick Pouliot and add maybe as much as 10% more salary retention on Fleury. Pouliot is another guy whose development is in flux because the Penguins have had six better defensemen as a product of win-now mode, and he's been stuck (albeit doing very well) in the AHL. He's made errors at the NHL level, and Pittsburgh hasn't had the patience to let him find his way. If need be, I'd talk swapping lower picks to even out whatever playing field needed it.

I know Freddy Andersen is doing well in Toronto, but I think MAF is more trustworthy in the long haul. His play has been very good when he's in the net consistently.

It looks like this:

MAF @ 20% retained
Maatta
for
JVR + Percy OR Carrick

or

MAF at 30% retained
Maatta
Pouliot
for
JVR + Gardiner OR Reilly

Why? We have zero, well actually less than zero need for MAF. And that 2nd proposal is one of the worst i have seen. We deal a top line LW and Rielly for a downgrade at D, an AHL D and a goalie you are desperately trying to trade? LOL...

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

It looks like this:

MAF @ 20% retained
Maatta
for
JVR + Percy OR Carrick

or

MAF at 30% retained
Maatta
Pouliot
for
JVR + Gardiner OR Reilly

Both offers are laughable, sorry

First while he "might not be injury prone" he has dealt with two serious issues health wise over the past few years and is having a terrible year. Second, MAF is a concussion away from being on the bench permanently-using hyperbole. But I don't see him as our back up solution even if money is retained because we then have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Pouliot has shown nothing and turning into a bust quickly, I'm actually glad management grabbed Kap instead of him.

Plus we give you JVR. The idea of adding Gardiner or Reilly is frankly insulting.

Not a chance.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It really isn't. The guy has played 3.5 seasons and has missed 83 games.

He missed 62 of those 83 games in one season. The other 2.5 seasons, he's missed a grand total of 21 games. That's not injured "all the time".

Do people not understand the concept of how one season long injury can skew things? It's like if a player misses the entire season one time, but plays 82 games in three straight seasons. He's not "injured all the time" despite missing 82 games due to injury over 4 years.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region

It looks like this:

MAF @ 20% retained
Maatta
for
JVR + Percy OR Carrick

or

MAF at 30% retained
Maatta
Pouliot
for
JVR + Gardiner OR Reilly

This is the kind of proposal i expect from Leafs fans.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens aren't trading Maatta for some over rated winger. Get real, Oli has some lingering issues, but his development is still in place. Thought the extension was to early, but the Pens think he is going to be a top pair D man or a top 4 D. Long season and we will see if the grind takes it's toll on the younger guys. Pens will add a veteran D and make their run.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I never understand these trades where its a defenseman for a defenseman. If a team needs to trade for a D they obviously don't have one to trade back. And if they had a young D ready for the nhl why would they deal him? I mean there will be some exceptions but generally i dont see trades like that ever happening.

Despres for Lovejoy.
Scuderi for Daley.

In the same season, if Im not mistaken :)

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
the first one.....temp. insanity
the second....failure to isolate the sickness.

Haha. I'm not disagreeing with you.

I was just pointing out to the poster that said it's not normal for d to be traded for d .. that it does indeed happen. As he/she said, it's rare but twice in the same season.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So, what I'd ask is that the Leafs take Marc Andre Fleury (20% retained) @ 4.6m/y and Olli Maatta for James Van Riemsdyk and Stuart Percy OR Connor Carrick.

[edited for brevity]

I hate to break it to you, but Stuart Percy is already in the Pens' system. He signed with them as a UFA this past offseason, and has been playing down in the AHL.

Despres for Lovejoy.
Scuderi for Daley.

In the same season, if Im not mistaken :)

Two different seasons, albeit back-to-back ones. Despres for Lovejoy was at the 2015 trade deadline. Scuderi for Daley was mid-season last season (15/16 season).

They did both happen in the same calendar year, though! March 2nd, 2015 and December 14th, 2015 respectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad