Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Question in all this that still has me baffled is why was he removed from Utica's roster? Is that a common thing that just isn't explicitly said when they need to bring a player to Vancouver to be evaluated? Maybe it's just something that just usually isn't said by the media even though it's common transactional thing, but that part still has me scratching my head.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Question in all this that still has me baffled is why was he removed from Utica's roster? Is that a common thing that just isn't explicitly said when they need to bring a player to Vancouver to be evaluated? Maybe it's just something that just usually isn't said by the media even though it's common transactional thing, but that part still has me scratching my head.

it is odd. one can only speculate. or not.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

I dont think that it is odd.
I actually know the canucks head physician Bill Regan and he doesnt travel with the team.
It was either Vancouver to see Regan or Vail Colorado to see his surgeon LaPrade who does a lot of NHL knee surgeries.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So 3 assists in the two games he's been back? He was the second star tonight as well. Anyone watch both games and can comment on how he looked?
I didn’t watch but the concern seems to be his defensive game. Offensively his numbers look real good. I believe he was killing penalties last night so maybe there is still some room for optimism. Maybe someone who has watched him can update.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
As of late, Olli has taken some steps in the right direction. This is at least a start.

HOWEVER, I'm of the opinion that if you are drafted as high as 5th overall, that you are expected to become a regular in the league within a reasonable period of time. For him not to have played a single NHL game 4+ years past his draft is just not good enough. IF he eventually makes the team and becomes an NHL regular (and that is a big IF at this point) it would go a long way to help people forget how long it's taken him to make it. But it would still be a negative footnote.

As it stands now, he is still way down the depth chart. Definitely behind Morgan Rafferty and likely behind Ashton Sautner. Acceptable for a 35th overall pick I suppose, but not for a 5th overall pick.

Reactions: Zombotron

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Some kids are late bloomers. Especially kids who are small and weak like Olli was when he got drafted.

What was Jake Virtanen doing at 21 years old? JT Miller? Alex Burrows? Sami Salo? Henrik Sedin? Daniel Sedin? Ryan Kesler? Markus Naslund? Todd Bertuzzi? All of these guys were late bloomers and if they were 21 right now you’d all be writing them off as busts right? It’s absolutely ridiculous. Olli will figure it out. His offensive skills are already elite and he thinks the game well enough and has the tools to figure out his defensive game.

Realistically if Juolevi can become a Sami Salo type player that’s an absolute win even with a 5th overall pick used. Salo was one of the best defensemen in franchise history and I see the same happening with Juolevi

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Some kids are late bloomers. Especially kids who are small and weak like Olli was when he got drafted.

What was Jake Virtanen doing at 21 years old? JT Miller? Alex Burrows? Sami Salo? Henrik Sedin? Daniel Sedin? Ryan Kesler? Markus Naslund? Todd Bertuzzi? All of these guys were late bloomers and if they were 21 right now you’d all be writing them off as busts right? It’s absolutely ridiculous. Olli will figure it out. His offensive skills are already elite and he thinks the game well enough and has the tools to figure out his defensive game.

Realistically if Juolevi can become a Sami Salo type player that’s an absolute win even with a 5th overall pick used. Salo was one of the best defensemen in franchise history and I see the same happening with Juolevi

Generally speaking top 5 draft picks are not later bloomers. The Sedins are the exemption, not the rule. I had Juolevi at 6th so I wasn't outraged at the time, confused maybe but not outraged.

At this point, I don't have high hopes of him reaching the Paul Martin level impact that once thought.

Reactions: bh53

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As of late, Olli has taken some steps in the right direction. This is at least a start.

HOWEVER, I'm of the opinion that if you are drafted as high as 5th overall, that you are expected to become a regular in the league within a reasonable period of time. For him not to have played a single NHL game 4+ years past his draft is just not good enough. IF he eventually makes the team and becomes an NHL regular (and that is a big IF at this point) it would go a long way to help people forget how long it's taken him to make it. But it would still be a negative footnote.

As it stands now, he is still way down the depth chart. Definitely behind Morgan Rafferty and likely behind Ashton Sautner. Acceptable for a 35th overall pick I suppose, but not for a 5th overall pick.
What you say is all true. I just don’t understand why it is still a conversation. I don’t think anybody here would defend the pick with hindsight (some with foresight). But we must be past that discussion by now. Why not just treat Juolevi as a prospect in the system who may or may not succeed at the NHL level. That way the conversation can be about the merits of his game and not the struggles of the past. It would actually be an interesting conversation.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What you say is all true. I just don’t understand why it is still a conversation. I don’t think anybody here would defend the pick with hindsight (some with foresight). But we must be past that discussion by now. Why not just treat Juolevi as a prospect in the system who may or may not succeed at the NHL level. That way the conversation can be about the merits of his game and not the struggles of the past. It would actually be an interesting conversation.

The poster above you still defends him as a great #5 overall pick so...

but to your point he’s sitting at 9points in 23 games but a -11 so I would love some
Reports from Utica fans on his actual defensive play which is a big concern and even was for me in junior where I chalked it up to intensity/not caring

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The poster above you still defends him as a great #5 overall pick so...

but to your point he’s sitting at 9points in 23 games but a -11 so I would love some
Reports from Utica fans on his actual defensive play which is a big concern and even was for me in junior where I chalked it up to intensity/not caring
It concerns me that he is not yet dominating the AHL. I haven’t watched him play this year (unlike last year) but there appears to be two conflicting narratives: 1. From management - he plays in all situations and is making good progress, and 2. From posters - he makes the occasional good play but continues to struggle in the defensive zone.
I so feel for the guy. His career so far has been a series of set backs based mainly on injuries. But he is falling down the depth chart. Rafferty is definitely ahead of him. Woo, though not having a stand out year, may be ahead of him in the near future. Others, like Sautner and Briseboise are pretty clearly tweeters. With podkolzin coming soon, I’m guessing management will add to the D prospect depth this coming year. Juolevi could very well be in Europe next year. Though I’m crossing every finger and toe, knocking on all the wood around me, that he will surprise everyone and make a significant development move over the last half of the season.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It concerns me that he is not yet dominating the AHL. I haven’t watched him play this year (unlike last year) but there appears to be two conflicting narratives: 1. From management - he plays in all situations and is making good progress, and 2. From posters - he makes the occasional good play but continues to struggle in the defensive zone.
I so feel for the guy. His career so far has been a series of set backs based mainly on injuries. But he is falling down the depth chart. Rafferty is definitely ahead of him. Woo, though not having a stand out year, may be ahead of him in the near future. Others, like Sautner and Briseboise are pretty clearly tweeters. With podkolzin coming soon, I’m guessing management will add to the D prospect depth this coming year. Juolevi could very well be in Europe next year. Though I’m crossing every finger and toe, knocking on all the wood around me, that he will surprise everyone and make a significant development move over the last half of the season.

Juolevi wouldn't even dominate the OHL. It's just not in his game. He's best off playing a simple game and making smart outlet passes.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I so feel for the guy. His career so far has been a series of set backs based mainly on injuries.

The Benning haters constantly and conveniently ignore this fact; I find it encouraging that now that he's back he looks like he might still be a player for us even if it's a year or two later than we would have liked. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy for an extended period of time...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The Benning haters constantly and conveniently ignore this fact; I find it encouraging that now that he's back he looks like he might still be a player for us even if it's a year or two later than we would have liked. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy for an extended period of time...
I said at the beginning of the season that he needed to stay healthy and play for 40 straight games in order for there to be a proper assessment. Well, he didn’t last 40 but he also wasn’t out for too long. Hopefully he stays healthy for the remainder of the season. We should then have a better feel for his potential.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not sure it's just Benning haters that have concerns. I'm not writing the guy off but he has to show some good progress this year even with all of the injuries he's had.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Juolevi is a bust.

And he would not be a win as a 5th overall pick in a draft where they passed on Tkachuk if all he becomes is a Sami Salo type player. That’s still a loss.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Earth shattering news

Reactions: Nomobo

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

Sami Salo? The one who played 878 NHL games and had 339 points? That Sami Salo?

At this point I'll be happy if he becomes Derrick Pouliot or Cam Barker.

If there were a redraft held today, would you take Juolevi at 5? Not many would.

Some kids are "late bloomers", sure... and some are just on the train to Bustville. Discussing who is who is kind of the point of a forum, yes?

Reactions: 420Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad