Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. IV | Out for remainder of 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That is a massive overstatement. Never was he described as a "train-wreck" at all, not to mention he had an excellent PPG playing with crap players for Utica in the games he did play. For how many games he played lumping it down as a failure is straight-up negativism

How is it not a failure of a season? He played less than 1/4 of a season in a pretty crucial development year.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
OJ is still really young, it takes extra time for a D-man to get his feet under him in most cases. I have no problem with how he is developing, injures happen. My problem is where he was picked. It’s not like he was the consensus at that slot and a series of unfortunate events along with players taken after him exceeding their potential made it a tough luck draw. The guy was taken off the board. He was taken out of imediate need. Huge, monumental mistake by management. It’s not OJ’s fault he isn’t playing in the NHL yet, it’s managements fault for getting sucked in. I can’t believe we gave Matthew Tkachuk to Calgary.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Boy that Zero games played looks uglier and uglier as his draft class continues to succeed.
shot.png

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The Sedins underperformed for years relative to their draft positions and expectations, and the players they were at 20 were far inferior to what they became. This is the comparison I made.

At D+4, Juolevi will be 22. I'd likely consider him a bust if he wasn't an NHL contributor.

Terribly wrong

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd rather have juolevi than nylander or pulju at this point. The other two have played and failed. Juolevi has only played 15 ahl games. I'd give him another full season and a bit to see how things go.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I'd rather have juolevi than nylander or pulju at this point. The other two have played and failed. Juolevi has only played 15 ahl games. I'd give him another full season and a bit to see how things go.
Id take the guys who have already shown they can at least play in the NHL every day of the week and twice on sundays

Reactions: mstad101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ugh you had to put that up there and point out Sergachev. We didn't even take the right defenseman. Terrible scouting.

Reactions: mstad101

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ugh you had to put that up there and point out Sergachev. We didn't even take the right defenseman. Terrible scouting.

I recall posting the lead up to that draft that I was positive Benning was going to draft by positional need rather than BPA based on his interviews. It was obvious he was taking a D-man no matter who was left on the board. I also thought for sure it'd be Sergachev. He seemed the higher end guy so that's where I thought they'd lean. If you look not only did they get the wrong one between Sergachev and Juolevi they pretty much managed to pick perhaps the worst D-man in the first round altogether.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Hodgy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I recall posting the lead up to that draft that I was positive Benning was going to draft by positional need rather than BPA based on his interviews. It was obvious he was taking a D-man no matter who was left on the board. I also thought for sure it'd be Sergachev. He seemed the higher end guy so that's where I thought they'd lean. If you look not only did they get the wrong one between Sergachev and Juolevi they pretty much managed to pick perhaps the worst D-man in the first round altogether.

If I recall correctly, there were actually some rumours Edmonton might have taken Sergachev if Puljujarvi hadn't fallen into their laps. The issue with the Juolevi pick was that he was very clearly not the consensus pick regardless at that spot. He wasn't even the consensus defenseman.

Reactions: Jyrki21

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
A lot of this is total hindsight. Columbus went against consensus and got it right by not picking Puljujarvi. Did any list have Dubois higher than Puljujarvi?

Maybe Vancouver just liked Juolevi more than Tkachuk. And they had plenty of reasons to feel that way.

Also have people watched Sergachev? He has some skills but overall he's not that good...neither is Keller. I don't really feel bad missing out on those guys. Tkachuk, yes, but a lot of people had doubts about him too. There's probably an alternate universe where Juolevi becomes a top pair D in his draft +2 and Tkachuk becomes a middle six player (even though, again, I really liked Tkachuk and would have taken him).

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
This could be the most depressing topic on any Canuck message board right now.

I think right now, being as realistic but as hopeful as I can muster, I can see him being an NHL player. A bottom poring guy that can help a bit in the offensive zone and can hopefully think himself out of problems in the D-zone...

That said this is an important camp. Jake has been OK but nothing close to a top 6 forward and it looks like Juolevi isn’t going to be an impact player either. That’s a pretty poor draft record inside the top 10.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Maybe Vancouver just liked Juolevi more than Tkachuk. And they had plenty of reasons to feel that way.

Also have people watched Sergachev? He has some skills but overall he's not that good...neither is Keller. I don't really feel bad missing out on those guys. Tkachuk, yes, but a lot of people had doubts about him too. There's probably an alternate universe where Juolevi becomes a top pair D in his draft +2 and Tkachuk becomes a middle six player (even though, again, I really liked Tkachuk and would have taken him).

Haha, you're criticizing Sergachev and Keller in a Juolevi thread? Probably the wrong place to do it. I think basically anyone would take either player over Juolevi ... if you doubt that head over to the main board and propose a trade for either player with Juolevi as the centre piece.

They also had basically no reason to take Juolevi over Tkachuk except they drafted by position and thought they didn't need Tkachuk because they had Virtanen (?!?). Horrible drafting and talent evaluation all over the place. Brutal. I don't know why anyone even tries to defend this pick anymore. It sucks every way you cut it.

Reactions: Labamba

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
A lot of this is total hindsight. Columbus went against consensus and got it right by not picking Puljujarvi. Did any list have Dubois higher than Puljujarvi?

A lot of what is in hindsight? People panning the Juolevi pick? No, the Juolevi pick was questioned from the moment it happened. I questioned it right in the draft thread. So did others. The Canucks passed on a definite top five pick who'd dropped to sixth overall in favour of supposed team needs (although that season's Canucks needed scoring from the wings (and still does today)). I mean, the Canucks could've traded down a few spots, and still possibly gotten Juolevi with a later pick. Tkachuk was the right pick at that spot.

Reactions: tantalum

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
The Sedins underperformed for years relative to their draft positions and expectations, and the players they were at 20 were far inferior to what they became. This is the comparison I made.

At D+4, Juolevi will be 22. I'd likely consider him a bust if he wasn't an NHL contributor.

Terribly wrong

I remember those years. Fans, as well as Granato and Willes, and other sports personalities in Vancouver were clamouring for Crawford to play the twins more minutes. The two were playing third, fourth line minutes (13 to 14 minutes a game), and producing at nearly second line scoring line rates.

I could understand that first season when they were behind Naslund's line, and then Cassels' line, but after Cassels left, Crawford was playing Linden more than the twins. That was a bit daft in hindsight.

Reactions: Scorvat

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Tkachuk had 105 points on the exact same damn team. They literally played with each other. You wouldn’t have even needed to send two scouts to two different teams, they were on the same god damn team. Anyone could see that Tkachuk was the better talent, consistent play driver, always around the net, sticking up for teammates I remember there were people worried that Tkachuk was the player buoyed up by a strong team, when in fact it was the guy we chose.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and Peter10

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
A lot of what is in hindsight? People panning the Juolevi pick? No, the Juolevi pick was questioned from the moment it happened. I questioned it right in the draft thread. So did others. The Canucks passed on a definite top five pick who'd dropped to sixth overall in favour of supposed team needs (although that season's Canucks needed scoring from the wings (and still does today)). I mean, the Canucks could've traded down a few spots, and still possibly gotten Juolevi with a later pick. Tkachuk was the right pick at that spot.

"From the London Knights the vancouver canucks select...."

It must also be hindsight that the entire arena gasped when that sentence ended with Juolevi rather than Tkachuk.

Sigh. There is no defending this pick yet some still try to do so.

Reactions: Peter10 and Pavel96

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Sergachev is overrated as well. He's basically Ristolainen lite right now. Completely sheltered in Tampa. He's been one of the worst dmen in the playoffs.

It was either Tkachuk/Keller or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad