Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. IV | Out for remainder of 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I guess that's the only shield for being atrocious in your own zone. Olli is screwed.

The leash that Pouliot has is absolutely mind boggling. He doesn't contribute much offensively to make up for his poor defensive work (in the "details" and tons of glaring mistakes). I almost want to believe that it's a bias towards the Portland days and not that Green is this bad at evaluating defensemen. It's far worse than Willie with Vey.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Same as Pettersson except on defense.. wait for him to gain 30-40 pounds and he will be an absolute monster top pairing NHL defense man

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looks like he has a knack for finding the open man on the PP. Really looks like the QB of the power play based on what I’ve seen. Good offensive instincts.
Still looks to be struggling a bit defensively so this should be a good learning year for him.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I like the logic of not disturbing his AHL progress. I don't care who we call up in the future but let Juolevi do what he's doing over there and then reassess everything next summer.

Last edited:

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
The thing that worries me about Juolevi is his pivot foot. It's just so slow. His battling is extremely weak but hopefully can improve.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
If Virtanen continues on with his solid season and puts up 20 + are people going to clue in that mayyyyyybbbbbe.........just maybe OJ might turn into something decent eventually? How many people will be honest and look in the mirror and say they had written Jake off?

I'm sure people can take all sorts of lessons from Jake if they want to but for me the big one is that success is not linear..........We still don't know what OJ will turn into but if Jake's season holds up (which i tend to think it will - he's playing really well and looks to have turned a corner) we should all exercise a little bit more patience here. If you really are a fan you should be hoping that OJ makes that leap - so it wasn't as quick as we would like - at this point I don't care if he isn't good for another 2-3 years - as long as he does end up good. #mytwocents

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If Virtanen continues on with his solid season and puts up 20 + are people going to clue in that mayyyyyybbbbbe.........just maybe OJ might turn into something decent eventually? How many people will be honest and look in the mirror and say they had written Jake off?

I'm sure people can take all sorts of lessons from Jake if they want to but for me the big one is that success is not linear..........We still don't know what OJ will turn into but if Jake's season holds up (which i tend to think it will - he's playing really well and looks to have turned a corner) we should all exercise a little bit more patience here. If you really are a fan you should be hoping that OJ makes that leap - so it wasn't as quick as we would like - at this point I don't care if he isn't good for another 2-3 years - as long as he does end up good. #mytwocents

If we can teach Jake defensive responsibility then at this point I believe in anyone's capability to improve defensively

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Well, Actually, I mean... I wrote Jake off after his d+1 season but it was still the correct thing to do at the time because Jake is what analyticists call a statistical outlier and, as an analyticologist I'm always correct. :sarcasm:

You know he already weighs almost 200 pounds right?

Wow you're right, he's listed on NHL.com as 198 pounds. Maybe that's not all the *correct* type of weight because I see him with a lot of room to grow strength-wise. I had him pegged at 185. Still the point remains that after 5 or so years of strength training he will be a much more effective player and "in his prime" so to speak.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The thing that worries me about Juolevi is his pivot foot. It's just so slow. His battling is extremely weak but hopefully can improve.

Is anyone familiar with the biomechanics of this? Lot of players have great top end speed once they get going but are still considered poor skaters overall because they might not be good at acceleration or making quick turns or quick stops and starts which is very important for a defenseman when they are trying to defend the net down low.

Is it a matter of "this player is genetically going to have a lower potential in the category of edgework" or "this player needs to work a lot harder on his edgework and as soon as he's finished doing that he can be good at it" because this will be incredibly important when projecting what kind of career Juolevi will have.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
that patience, that elegance

Wow he looks good in that clip... so smooth and fluid.

First 3 games back on North American ice as a Pro:
1a, -6

Since then:
13 games, 12 pts, -5

6pts in his last 4....

He's figuring it out nicely offensively...
Progression!
-5 over 13gms in a top pairing match up role does not seem bad... but needs further context.. (actual usage, role, teammates, etc)

Can't wait to see him for myself.
Excited about this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad