Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. IV | Out for remainder of 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
? I was asking you a question and you answered it. no need playing cop. I did also clearly say "What are you trying to say here ?"

You asked what I was trying to say there, and your interpretation based on what you threw out was that I didn't want Juolevi to play well.

I can't just reply to a post and say "soooo you think the Canucks are an NBA team" because "I'm just asking a question". Something about your post would have to give me a reason to think that was what you were saying.

I'm wondering what part of my post made you get the idea that I don't want to see Juolevi do well because that is certainly not the case.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You asked what I was trying to say there, and your interpretation based on what you threw out was that I didn't want Juolevi to play well.

I can't just reply to a post and say "soooo you think the Canucks are an NBA team" because "I'm just asking a question". Something about your post would have to give me a reason to think that was what you were saying.

I'm wondering what part of my post made you get the idea that I don't want to see Juolevi do well because that is certainly not the case.

your entire post that's why I finished up my post with

'"What are you trying to say here ?""

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
your entire post that's why I finished up my post with

'"What are you trying to say here ?""
He was actually offering a fairly optimistic assessment of Juolevi's play, even conceding that Juolevi might be an upgrade over Del Zotto on the Canucks blueline right now. It's far too optimistic for me based on what I have seen of Juolevi this year, but he's not being anti Olli as far as I can tell. Quite the contrary actually.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I still have hope for this kid. He is putting respectable numbers in the AHL for a 20 year old, lets not forget he was one of the youngest in his draft year as well. Give him time and let him develop, remember Alex Edler didn't make the team until he was 21+.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He was actually offering a fairly optimistic assessment of Juolevi's play, even conceding that Juolevi might be an upgrade over Del Zotto on the Canucks blueline right now. It's far too optimistic for me based on what I have seen of Juolevi this year, but he's not being anti Olli as far as I can tell. Quite the contrary actually.

which part of his post did he suggest he is better then Del Zotto?

also which part of his post did he offer up a optimistic assessment?

Var

Nov 10, 2007
It's an old saying, but defense takes time. Let's not be impatient.

15 games in and he's got 11 points. Tops on the team is 12 points. Utica's not exactly scoring a ton right now anyways. He's fine.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am not writing him off. I Need to see. him play some nhl games first. I still think he can be a solid number 3/4.

The thing with Juolevi is anytime he played at a higher level of hockey wjc, Finland, AHL. He was able to adapt and make some type of impact and not look out of place. Also be one of the better D on that team.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
It's been a success for Juolevi so far in the AHL season.
Offensive talent is definitely showing.
Unfortunately, defense is very suspect. Always easier to teach defense than offense though, let's hope Johnson and the assistant coaches can help him in that regard.

Having Hughes and Juolevi manning the points on the powerplay would give us a 1-2 option not seen since Edler + Ehrhoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Nice to see the points but the concerns are still there: defensive play, ability to handle physicality, being lackadaisical.

Lots of guys have put up points in the AHL but because they couldn't handle the other side of the puck, didn't amount to much more than a 3rd pairing dman.

I'll wait to see how that progresses but right now, it's not NHL caliber.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Going to reserve judgment for now although the offensive growth is definitely encouraging. After watching Kesler, the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, Horvat and now it looks like Virtanen all take big steps, I’ve learned to be patient with young players. Especially those who show growth in their games. Juolevi has taken a big step offensively. Now he needs to take one defensively. A year in Utica playing big minutes will be best for his development.

Reactions: Jay Cee

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Something I keep in mind when looking at OJ:

-Intensity/contact are his biggest question marks
-He has a reputation as a big game performer

I feel there's a connection here, and am confident that his play will improve down the stretch and into the playoffs. He might always be a guy that has us frustrated in games 15-50, but I expect/hope he'll have another gear when the intensity ramps up. Feel that explains his D+1 season a little bit, in that he went from championship calibre teams, to teams that weren't really contenders. Not saying that's a good thing obviously, but I do think he's got a bit of Edler in his personality (and Edler is probably my upside expectation for Juolevi at this point).

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I can't think of a similar prospect to Juolevi off the top of my head. His defensive lapses are not great.

I still stand by my sense that this is a player who takes time to feel comfortable, once that happens he starts to feel confident and it's at this point he starts dominating, or at least being the best defenceman for his team. If the lack of intensity and engagement, "softness", and tentativeness he's demonstrated specifically in the last goal that MS pointed out is still in evidence by 2/3rds of the season there is cause for concern. However I'm still cautiously optimistic those will improve, and we'll see him called up for a short stint at the end of the year. At which point he will again be tentative and uncomfortable, but hopefully by the midway point of next year if he makes the team he'll look better :dunno:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
His AHL performance is weird because he can put up the numbers, the more difficult area, but is getting burned in his own zone. Now, if he can just tighten up his play on the back end...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Dude needs a Ken Hitchcock type of coach or something

Hitch would destroy Juolevi. You would end up with a simpering wreck that didn't produce at all and was only slightly better on defense, if at all. They need to find a way to get through to Juolevi. Forget intensity, if he can't simply position himself properly he's going to get burned a lot. That type of player is fringe at the NHL level.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Yes that was already mentioned.
I know, I was just making a reference to the last 3 times it's been mentioned. :laugh:

Honestly, I'll take any progress with Olli at this point. I'm on the "it could be worse" phase of dealing with this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad