Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

His explanation was absolutely illogical. His conclusion was that Juolevi’s lack of physical play was the result of his back injury and the fact that Juolevi felt the preseason games were meaningless. That conclusion isn’t logical for the reasons i mentioned.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
1. You're mis-using the word logical. I would suggest you look up the definition because you're using it in a way that just means something you disagree with.

2. If you cannot intuitively grasp the logical connection between someone recently getting hurt and playing less physically then I will explain it for you as clearly as I can. First, he will have had less time to train and therefore be less effective in a physical exchange. Secondly, he will be reluctant to exert himself too much and potentially re-injure himself.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
1. You're mis-using the word logical. I would suggest you look up the definition because you're using it in a way that just means something you disagree with.

2. If you cannot intuitively grasp the logical connection between someone recently getting hurt and playing less physically then I will explain it for you as clearly as I can. First, he will have had less time to train and therefore be less effective in a physical exchange. Secondly, he will be reluctant to exert himself too much and potentially re-injure himself.
He’s either ready to play or he isn’t.....he was cleared to play. Take a break from your Kool-aid induced ramblings.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s either ready to play or he isn’t.....he was cleared to play. Take a break from your Kool-aid induced ramblings.

I think it's pretty well accepted that being cleared to play does not mean 100% healthy. With that said, I don't think Juolevi is a physical player with or without back injury.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well he has to learn how to engage physically. Like not hitting everything that moves but knowing how to get out of the boards with the puck. He's a smooth guy so maybe it looks like he's not always trying. But however it looks, if you can't win battles, you can't play. Especially on D.

Reactions: TeddyBare

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He does. He really does. And I hope he figures it out quickly because I'm tired of feeling so grim about this team's defense prospects

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
He does. He really does. And I hope it figures it out quickly because I'm tired of feeling so grim about this team's defense prospects
We, like, really need that. Hughes, Juolevi, then a bunch of unknowns. This coming draft doesn’t promise to add to the top end here either. Jack plays the wrong position.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We, like, really need that. Hughes, Juolevi, then a bunch of unknowns. This coming draft doesn’t promise to add to the top end here either. Jack plays the wrong position.

Ya it's been a problem. Gillis did a great job of retooling the D with the acquisition of Ehrhoff and signing Hamhuis and Tanev. But long term, I'm not sure it's sustainable without acquiring players through the draft.

Potentially, the Canucks can have some time if Hughes and Juloevi develop into top 4 Dmen and Stecher fills that role as well. Good Dmen can be had in the later rounds but you got to draft them.

But ya the 2018 draft was a good draft for the Canucks to draft a Dman IMO. The 2019 draft looks forward heavy at this point, but given the Canucks' luck in the draft lottery...

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Well he has to learn how to engage physically. Like not hitting everything that moves but knowing how to get out of the boards with the puck. He's a smooth guy so maybe it looks like he's not always trying. But however it looks, if you can't win battles, you can't play. Especially on D.

I agree.
If he develops that part of his game then Vancouver may have something.
He just seems so timid

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I know you are probably just trolling and stating intentionally stupid things as you have a habit of doing, but let's outline things very simply:
  1. 2017 NHL Preseason: Juolevi looks defensively and physically disengaged;
  2. 2017-2018 SM Liiga: Reports of Juolevi looking defensively and physically disengaged;
  3. 2018 Summer: Juolevi undergoes back surgery; and
  4. 2018 NHL Preseason: Juolevi looks defensively and physically disengaged.
Conclusion: the surgery is causing Juolevi to look defensively and physically disengaged. This conclusion relies on the premise that the surgery had a retroactive effect on Juolevi, which is obviously insane.

Again, I think you realize how illogical your arguments are, but are actually arguing in bad faith in an attempt to troll this subforum.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Also have to keep in mind that Juolevi's back was probably bothering him for a while before his surgery. Don't think it was a sudden injury that required a procedure, but a longer term issue.

If OJ fills out his 6'3" frame and then gets to even a Sami Salo level of physical play, he's going to be a very important piece of this new core.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I know you are probably just trolling and stating intentionally stupid things as you have a habit of doing, but let's outline things very simply:
  1. 2017 NHL Preseason: Juolevi looks defensively and physically disengaged;
  2. 2017-2018 SM Liiga: Reports of Juolevi looking defensively and physically disengaged;
  3. 2018 Summer: Juolevi undergoes back surgery; and
  4. 2018 NHL Preseason: Juolevi looks defensively and physically disengaged.
Conclusion: the surgery is causing Juolevi to look defensively and physically disengaged. This conclusion relies on the premise that the surgery had a retroactive effect on Juolevi, which is obviously insane.

Again, I think you realize how illogical your arguments are, but are actually arguing in bad faith in an attempt to troll this subforum.

The back surgery obviously effected his play after the procedure was done, not retroactively or whatever garbage you’re trying to straw man me with this time. I challenge you to find a single post of mine that says his back surgery effected games in the past.

In the preseason of 2017 he wasn’t physical because he was only 18 years old and physically immature for his age. I’ve explained this over and over again. The back surgery made things worse. Should be a simple point that anyone reasonable can agree with but you can’t be reasonable because Juolevi was drafted by Benning and you’re already on record blasting the pick before he plays a single NHL game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Juolevi's complete unwillingness to engage physically and put his body between opposing players and his goal has been a massive issue dating back to his time with London.

What we saw in the preseason is exactly what we've always seen.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The back surgery obviously effected his play after the procedure was done, not retroactively or whatever garbage you’re trying to straw man me with this time. I challenge you to find a single post of mine that says his back surgery effected games in the past.

In the preseason of 2017 he wasn’t physical because he was only 18 years old and physically immature for his age. I’ve explained this over and over again. The back surgery made things worse. Should be a simple point that anyone reasonable can agree with but you can’t be reasonable because Juolevi was drafted by Benning and you’re already on record blasting the pick before he plays a single NHL game.

Really. did you read the other posts?

1 - He needed back surgery. A reasonable assumption is that his back was bothering him before the surgery.

2 - Do you actually know what a straw man argument is?

3 - Oh why bother. ...

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

1. You are misusing the punctuation mark - . I suggest you look up how to spell misusing, because you are adding a dash that is meant to connect two words.

2. If you cannot intuitively grasp the proper use of punctuation, I will explain it as clearly as I can. First, don't use dashes to break up one word into two- it's unnecessary. Secondly, don't call people out for not knowing what words mean- especially if the very sentence calling them out is going to contain a glaring, elementary level grammatical error.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Juolevi doesn't play a physical game; being physically immature shouldn't be a great excuse in his draft + 1 season for not making the team - look at Pettersson for an example of hockey IQ trumping physicality. If we were talking about Jett Woo, a physical dman, then I would agree with you.

You're mixing up the player with the pick. People are more upset that we passed on Tkachuk than we are with Juolevi. Juolevi hasn't looked as promising as we would have hoped by now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad