Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s what Green and his coaches said that stood out about OJ’s game. They, like you, were surprised OJ played such a heavy game. It’s actually fantastic news! Now we can be excited about OJ becoming the minute munching guy we hoped for at the draft, and not be so pissed at Benning for missing on guys like Sergachev, Chychrun, etc.

6 minutes.

One light bit of contact.

Good god.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Am I watching the same 6 minutes of ice time? Defensively he seemed out of position in our end way too much, however Minny didnt get the opportunity to take advantage. Playing 12-14
minutes and an opposing coach will feast on that.

Having said that, still prefer a motivated Juolevi in the lineup over Fanta, doesnt matter either way if Canucks go deep there will be injuries and we need everything we got.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
6 minutes.

One light bit of contact.

Good god.
I don’t get what God has to do with discussion.
Green said he and the coaches were surprised by the heaviness to OJ’s game. That’s a good thing. As a Canuck’s fan I’m feeling happy about that. OJ has elite skills, high IQ, and he’s big. Add he plays heavy, as pointed out by Green, and we have a minute munching D man.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t get what God has to do with discussion.
Green said he and the coaches were surprised by the heaviness to OJ’s game. That’s a good thing. As a Canuck’s fan I’m feeling happy about that. OJ has elite skills, high IQ, and he’s big. Add he plays heavy, as pointed out by Green, and we have a minute munching D man.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think that a player who has proven himself to be butter-soft for years is somehow now playing a 'heavy game' based on a 6-minute sample size and one light bit of contact.

If he comes out next year and shows a heavier game over an extended period, sure, let's re-evaluate our opinions. But to do a 180 on a player we have years of information on based on 6 minutes is absolute insanity.

6 minutes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Am I watching the same 6 minutes of ice time? Defensively he seemed out of position in our end way too much, however Minny didnt get the opportunity to take advantage. Playing 12-14
minutes and an opposing coach will feast on that.

Having said that, still prefer a motivated Juolevi in the lineup over Fanta, doesnt matter either way if Canucks go deep there will be injuries and we need everything we got.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years here, it's that it is absolutely impossible for the masses to ever think a player played badly in his NHL debut (outside of goalies). I've literally never seen it happen. Yann Sauve's NHL debut was the worst I've ever seen from an NHL player, but 80% of the posts here were about how well he played.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It is absolutely ridiculous to think that a player who has proven himself to be butter-soft for years is somehow now playing a 'heavy game' based on a 6-minute sample size and one light bit of contact.

If he comes out next year and shows a heavier game over an extended period, sure, let's re-evaluate our opinions. But to do a 180 on a player we have years of information on based on 6 minutes is absolute insanity.

6 minutes.
So you’re saying Green is ridiculous? You’re entitled to an opinion, but I’d say Green's opinion (and his coaches’) carries value.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Because :

a) it is extremely unlikely that a player who has been contract averse for *years* just suddenly developed a 'heavy' game.

b) this 'more heavy game' is based on a 6-minute sample size where he kinda bumped with a guy once.

If Juolevi (in either Utica or Vancouver) comes out in the first 20 games of next year and is leaning on guys, using his size to win battles, and taking hits to make plays ... that's amazing and I'll admit there's been a change. But for now, I'm extremely dubious. And everyone else should be, too. This player has been the softest defense prospect I've ever seen up to this point.

Not many players have either been injured or playing through injuries or playing without ideal weight or strength conditioning for most of their first 3 years after being drafted though.

There is a reason many hockey minds have been or still are high on this guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So you’re saying Green is ridiculous? You’re entitled to an opinion, but I’d say Green's opinion (and his coaches’) carries value.

It's a throwaway comment by Green based on probably one play where there was a bit of contact. This player has a reputation as being butter-soft and there's no way Green doesn't know it, and it was probably a good time to reinforce something positive from a player in his first NHL game. Whatever.

What's ridiculous is taking that tiny sample size and quote and acting like the last 4 years don't matter and somehow his whole skillset/playstyle/trajectory have changed based on 6 minutes.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not many players have either been injured or playing through injuries or playing without ideal weight or strength conditioning for most of their first 3 years after being drafted though.

There is a reason many hockey minds have been or still are high on this guy.

Pretty much..after knee, back and hip surgeries, ...you would have to say that most of the 100 or so games he's played in the last 3 years have been games where he has been rehabilitating.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a throwaway comment by Green based on probably one play where there was a bit of contact. This player has a reputation as being butter-soft and there's no way Green doesn't know it, and it was probably a good time to reinforce something positive from a player in his first NHL game. Whatever.

What's ridiculous is taking that tiny sample size and quote and acting like the last 4 years don't matter and somehow his whole skillset/playstyle/trajectory have changed based on 6 minutes.
So you’re doubling down on you’re ridicule of Green’s comments. I place value in what Green had to say. Green even said OJ has had a lot of injuries, and that it’s good to see how he plays when healthy. I think Green, having played and coached in the NHL, understands the impact serious injuries will have on a player’s development curve. Again I will put value in what Green has to say. If you wish to ridicule him that’s your choice.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
This player has been the softest defense prospect I've ever seen up to this point.

Really? As he was regularly blocking shots in Utica you thought he was the softest you've ever seen? While as I said the glowing praise is getting a bit much I also think this is silly hyperbole.

As for not reading too much into 6 minutes, sure. But he did play the PK fairly well, and made two good plays in the offensive zone (the no look pass to Horvat and the fake pass down the boards before passing it along the blueline) and threw a hit on Fiala - all of which that stood out to me in a positive way, which are three more than several other depth defenceman debuts.

Without reading too much into things, there's a glimmer of hope there at least for me anyways.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Talking about a heavy game after 6 minutes and only 4 shifts the last 35 minutes of the game....

Talking about anything beyond he had a good enough camp to get into a game is crazy.

I didn't notice Olli playing a heavy game but it is possible to "play a heavy game" in 6 minutes of ice time. A select few here act like it is such an impossibility.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I didn't notice Olli playing a heavy game but it is possible to "play a heavy game" in 6 minutes of ice time. A select few here act like it is such an impossibility.
Yes, MacEwen does it every night. Roussel scored a goal and played heavy game with 5 minutes. Wish Beagle would play a heavy 6 minutes instead of heavy double digits. OJ looks good, I thought he has always looked good with the puck. He was very aggressive with pinching and closing the gap, which can be dangerous but worked out. Good camp, good scrimmages, and now good playoff game. Yanne Sauve never put
that together. I hope he gets in more games and plays well, it would be a great development for this team

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Seems odd to me how all of a sudden all of Green's quotes about a six-minute stint by Olli have become sacred words to be taken as the gospel. I say this because during the past 4 games Green was raked over the coals by the majority of the posters during every game for everything he does , what he says, and what they even believe he thinks!

I have seen posts declaring the merits of Brisebois, Sautner, and Chatfield and how we will likely see them in the bottom pairing or 7/8 in the near future and all seem to show enough promise to handle that role. What happened to all the hype over Rafferty? I was reading of how he's definitely a Canuck coming out of camp to start 2020-21? Now, Juolevi on the basis of 6 minutes has top 4 promise?

Juolevi did everything I am on record as saying he could do. He is perfectly capable as long as he isn't pressured and/or smacked hard by forecheckers. His outlet passes are tape to tape as long as he has the time to look up , measure the distance and get it away. He can make those no-look passes and look off the enemy and pass elsewhere again as long as he has all day to make the move.

Don't expect the same type of quick accurate outlets, stretch passes, and brilliant O-zone or PP passes if an opponent is attacking him. The normal result in those situations was a D-zone turnover, a pass up ice directly to the opponent, a blueline turnover for a breakaway against. He is also lost away from the puck and gets out of position moving from one spot to another and failing to just pick up the closest man to the goal on his side of the ice and make sure he doesn't get a pass for an easy chance on goal. When he does attempt to tie this guy up he gets knocked out of the way or simply shrugged off. If you see his 1 on 1 vs a speedy forward who just walks him like a pylon, I hope your defensive expectations aren't disturbed.

I understand the desire to believe the Canucks have uncovered an array of new cheaper talent to replace the vets everyone knows are on the way out, but the Canucks will be lucky if one of these guys answers the bell.
I understand the desire to believe the Canucks have uncovered an array of new cheaper talent to replace the vets everyone knows are on the way out, but the Canucks will be lucky if one of these guys answers the bell.
I understand any fan's desire to see a player live up to expectations or even surpass them. However, after watching every one of the defensive prospects I have mentioned in this post for years, if the Canucks put any more than one of them in their top 7 it will be more likely because of not having the cap space for anyone above an ELC or lowest minimum NHL contract. If I had to bet on it, I'd put my money on the guy most likely to succeed in that capacity is Rathbone and he wasn't even in this discussion. He has the most promise of the D-prospects now in the fold.

Frank Corrado performed at the highest level of competition of any of them while in Utica going all the way to the AHL Calder Cup Finals and performing better than any of those mentioned in this post. Frankie got a few regular season cups of NHL coffee: Vancouver (28), Toronto (41), and Pittsburgh (7), but he just didn't have that little bit more to make him an NHL regular.

We'll just have to see what becomes of all of these current D-prospects, but I'm not seeing an NHL career beyond Frankie's for the majority.
- Olli (LD) will be given the longest rope and probably get the maximum amount of time to prove himself.
- Rafferty (RD) hasn't got much time due to his age and will have to become a solid defender to avoid being a career AHL All-Star.He's right now #4 if Tanev and Stecher are retained. Lose one of them and he's in the lineup for the reason I stated earlier - cheap cap space replacement.
- Sautner (LD), Briesbois (LD), and Chatfield (RD) are AHL players with callups possible in the event of Vancouver injuries.
- Rathbone (LD) is the current golden calf. He charts as a very talented prospect at this juncture and has surpassed the 3 above names and will be pressing to make the Canucks roster next season. It's him and Juolevi on the left side behind Edler and Hughes if the Canucks let Fantenberg go.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
But if OJ would've been bad in those 6 minutes, it would've been undeniable proof of his bustlyness.

OJ was pretty good in limited action - and that's not nothing (how could an actual Canuck fan not be encouraged by this, at the very least?). It doesn't guarantee a long career or anything, but it absolutely is a positive sign.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I would call it encouraging. He looks like he is skating much better than where he was at seasons start. His vision was on display and he was processing the game at a reasonable pace. But even as one of his biggest backers and someone who has seen almost all of his games in the last 2 years I take his 6 minutes with a massive grain of salt. I don't think his traditional weaknesses have been tested yet. A team like St Louis will put real pressure on him. They will test his strength as well. If he manages to get/stay in the lineup and plays 8~12 quality minutes I think we can then start buzzing about potential again.

The fact that he looked so composed playing the six, albiet sheltered, minutes has to be seen as a positive. If his body can catch up we have found money. The mighty Quinn looked far more nervous in his first playoff game vs Min. And that was after starring during the regular season. OJ has had to deal with set back after set back. And still looked cool as ice. I remain cautiously optimistic about his development.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ok lets be honest here.

This is literally the 81st game of the regular season in a playoff race. The Canucks would have been a win away from clinching a playoff spot. If they have lost they will have one more chance in game 82.

Juolevi had to make his NHL debut in the 81st game of the regular season in a playoff race in a must win game to secure a playoff spot. Green woulndn't have played a rookie in such high stakes game if he didn't feel he was good enough.

This is anything but an easy game to make his NHL debut at. He knows what's at stake. It's not a normal game, not to mention if he screws chances are he wont even dress for the final game in a winner takes all or loser goes home. Pressure is literally on him even though he will be a bottom pairing guy.

Overall I thought he looked fine for his first game with this much at stake. I thought he looked fine for 6 minutes even though it wasn't really much, he was good. Too much pressure and too much on the line for him too. He did fine for what was at stake and for his NHL debut.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually kind of shocked that Green played Juolevi, unless Fantenberg was down with a day-to-day injury and he was forced to play him. But from all reports, that wasn't the case. He just decided to make him a depth defender in one of the biggest games of the year.

You't think it would do wonders for his confidence, and now that we're entering the seven-game series playoff grind, I'm guessing Juolevi could see more action if the Canucks run into injuries on their blueline.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
MS and bad goalie are right in terms of how Joulevi played in Utica. He got nudged and he fell over during his first season. Last year he tried more to assert himself but generally got bumped out of play or the crease. The shot blocking often often occurred because he couldn't get pressure on the puck and ended up playing in lanes between the shooter and the net. Problem with that he on many occasions became something of a screen and was used as such by opposing teams.

I was encouraged and surprised by Joulevi's efforts the other night in terms of his poise and general movement. Thought he looked better, more mature and stronger than most of the time in Utica.

Might be that Green was equally surprised leading to the statement that he was playing a heavier game. But that may be more of indication that Joulwvi was coming from a very low level of heaviness and any kind of heaviness at all was a surprise to those (and Green is one of them) who had watched him play in the past.

Like to see him in the next round and if he can hang in with some of the Blues forwards then he's taken a huge step.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
There was an article of Juolevi on Finnish national news YLE, and I took the liberty to translate it for you guys to read. I did my best translating to my best ability so that the quotes won't be misunderstood ;) Read em twice and if something seems weird or off, ask and I'll clarify. [context and translator notes/opinions are added like this].

Spiral of injuries defeated - Olli Juolevi worked hard for years: "I now appreciate things that i took for granted"

Olli Juolevi was the greatest suprise of Vancouver Canucks' camp and fought his way into the lineup, the correspondent for YLE Tommi Seppälä, writes. [hype man when it comes to Finns, tends to sensationalize but is suprisingly level-headed in this article]

When Olli Juolevi was announced fifth overall in Buffalo Sabres' rink at the NHL 2016 draft, not many friends of hockey foresaw the talented Helsinki native to debut four years later. Juolevi, 22, has already gone through a considerable sequence of injuries. Even before the u20 home-tournament Juolevi had to step aside from the u18 competition due to injury. Juolevi's road to NHL has been slowed down by severe back and knee operations that ruined a whole year for him.

Past fall, afer a lengthy rehabilitation, he returned to the rink in AHL only to be sidelined in November for another month, after an excellent start to the Jokerit-foster. Juolevi's dream for NHL has been sidetracked for so long that his team doesn't even have him listed on their website roster. But the dream became reality this past weekend.

Juolevi was the biggest suprise of Canucks' late summer camp and fought his way in to the bubble in Edmonton. When the series was on the line on saturday against Minnesota, Juolevi played his first game - playoff game nonetheless - in a sheltered role.

"Absolutely, my spirits are flying high. I have received nothing for free here which has made me appreciate things I earlier took for granted" Juolevi says.

Utilizing the Corona break

The pandemic wasn't greeted with open arms, but it was a needed break for Juolevi's 2019-20 season. Juolevi recognized this opportunity and maximized the opportunity for rest and rehabilitation. He had a chance to train with the help of Raimo Summanen [infamous yet respected hockey coach with merit for helping youngsters such as Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen etc] and Janne Hänninen [former speedskater, olympian]. This enabled him to fight for his NHL debut during 2019-20.

"I noticed during the break that I was finally able to perform without pain. We acknowledged my history and made sure not to hinder anything. Luckily I've been able to work hard and it feels like the time off was capitalized."

When Vancouver started their camp in July, the positive news of Juolevi's mature game escaped British Columbia. Even Travis Green praised Juolevi publicly, culminating into him being selected to the Canucks' playoff roster. Currently the seventh defender in the roster is known for his smooth skating, hands and hockey brain is an excellent choice as a depth piece.

"I wasn't personally that suprised after all. It felt like things were clicking in the AHL and I was trusted more over time to defend and to kill penalties. I felt like I was able to play good two-way game. It grew my confidence. When I joined the camp in Vancouver I felt like I had nothing to lose and could enjoy my time."

NHL supporting strengths

The turbulence around Juolevi is simmering down. Both the media and the fans have had their patience tested if the often injured Juolevi would ever reach his potential.

"You hear the stories and it is clear that everyone expects and wants me to succeed and perform like advertised. At the same time there are variables you can't control yourself even if you expect the most yourself. It includes being healthy. If you're rehabilitating 90 percent of the time and your peers are playing guns blazing, it's difficult."

Juolevi hasn't wavered in his faith. "Every time I've been able to play, it has gone well. It helps to believe in myself."

Now that Juolevi has debuted in the big league, the next step awaits. Juolevi is expected to break through into the playing squad in 2020-21. Averaging half a point per game in the AHL promises that Juolevi can open the play by simple movement and hockey iq in the canucks' offence.

As long as the defensive side develops by practice and experience his package as a player is getting ready. He believes himself that the NHL game is better suited than the game in AHL.

"The pressure in the AHL is bigger for the defender. The game is smarter and more structured and stick play is more active. I feel like NHL suits us European players more, since it is more familiar in structure", Juolevi says.

Young and Fresh Canucks

As a team the Canucks is the black horse of the race. They have stars like Elias Petterson, Quinn Hughes and Jakob Markström in their ranks alongside a pile of tomorrow's quality players. In addition Stanley Cup champions such as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson and Jay Beagle bring experience and balance to the group. The fall of 2020 likely isn't for the Canucks to thrive in but it is a team to look out for.

"We've got an interesting squad. Team icons such as Edler and Tanev, you can really sense how much they want to succeed. Toffoli and Pearson won with Los, and then there's this plethora of young guns. It's going to be exciting" Juolevi states in excitement.

"It's been awesome to see and experience the games firsthand. You understand the small margins and nuances of the league. If a team has a hot streak it can be the difference in winning a series. Everything is possible."

It looks like that Vancouver and Olli Juolevi are progressing nicely hand in hand: neither have reached their peaks but the direction is right. If one has to choose who deserves the break, it is Juolevi.

The NHL playoffs start on tuesday. Vancouver challenges the reigning champions St. Louis Blues in round one.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There was an article of Juolevi on Finnish national news YLE, and I took the liberty to translate it for you guys to read. I did my best translating to my best ability so that the quotes won't be misunderstood ;) Read em twice and if something seems weird or off, ask and I'll clarify. [context and translator notes/opinions are added like this].

Spiral of injuries defeated - Olli Juolevi worked hard for years: "I now appreciate things that i took for granted"

Olli Juolevi was the greatest suprise of Vancouver Canucks' camp and fought his way into the lineup, the correspondent for YLE Tommi Seppälä, writes. [hype man when it comes to Finns, tends to sensationalize but is suprisingly level-headed in this article]

When Olli Juolevi was announced fifth overall in Buffalo Sabres' rink at the NHL 2016 draft, not many friends of hockey foresaw the talented Helsinki native to debut four years later. Juolevi, 22, has already gone through a considerable sequence of injuries. Even before the u20 home-tournament Juolevi had to step aside from the u18 competition due to injury. Juolevi's road to NHL has been slowed down by severe back and knee operations that ruined a whole year for him.

Past fall, afer a lengthy rehabilitation, he returned to the rink in AHL only to be sidelined in November for another month, after an excellent start to the Jokerit-foster. Juolevi's dream for NHL has been sidetracked for so long that his team doesn't even have him listed on their website roster. But the dream became reality this past weekend.

Juolevi was the biggest suprise of Canucks' late summer camp and fought his way in to the bubble in Edmonton. When the series was on the line on saturday against Minnesota, Juolevi played his first game - playoff game nonetheless - in a sheltered role.

"Absolutely, my spirits are flying high. I have received nothing for free here which has made me appreciate things I earlier took for granted" Juolevi says.

Utilizing the Corona break

The pandemic wasn't greeted with open arms, but it was a needed break for Juolevi's 2019-20 season. Juolevi recognized this opportunity and maximized the opportunity for rest and rehabilitation. He had a chance to train with the help of Raimo Summanen [infamous yet respected hockey coach with merit for helping youngsters such as Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen etc] and Janne Hänninen [former speedskater, olympian]. This enabled him to fight for his NHL debut during 2019-20.

"I noticed during the break that I was finally able to perform without pain. We acknowledged my history and made sure not to hinder anything. Luckily I've been able to work hard and it feels like the time off was capitalized."

When Vancouver started their camp in July, the positive news of Juolevi's mature game escaped British Columbia. Even Travis Green praised Juolevi publicly, culminating into him being selected to the Canucks' playoff roster. Currently the seventh defender in the roster is known for his smooth skating, hands and hockey brain is an excellent choice as a depth piece.

"I wasn't personally that suprised after all. It felt like things were clicking in the AHL and I was trusted more over time to defend and to kill penalties. I felt like I was able to play good two-way game. It grew my confidence. When I joined the camp in Vancouver I felt like I had nothing to lose and could enjoy my time."

NHL supporting strengths

The turbulence around Juolevi is simmering down. Both the media and the fans have had their patience tested if the often injured Juolevi would ever reach his potential.

"You hear the stories and it is clear that everyone expects and wants me to succeed and perform like advertised. At the same time there are variables you can't control yourself even if you expect the most yourself. It includes being healthy. If you're rehabilitating 90 percent of the time and your peers are playing guns blazing, it's difficult."

Juolevi hasn't wavered in his faith. "Every time I've been able to play, it has gone well. It helps to believe in myself."

Now that Juolevi has debuted in the big league, the next step awaits. Juolevi is expected to break through into the playing squad in 2020-21. Averaging half a point per game in the AHL promises that Juolevi can open the play by simple movement and hockey iq in the canucks' offence.

As long as the defensive side develops by practice and experience his package as a player is getting ready. He believes himself that the NHL game is better suited than the game in AHL.

"The pressure in the AHL is bigger for the defender. The game is smarter and more structured and stick play is more active. I feel like NHL suits us European players more, since it is more familiar in structure", Juolevi says.

Young and Fresh Canucks

As a team the Canucks is the black horse of the race. They have stars like Elias Petterson, Quinn Hughes and Jakob Markström in their ranks alongside a pile of tomorrow's quality players. In addition Stanley Cup champions such as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson and Jay Beagle bring experience and balance to the group. The fall of 2020 likely isn't for the Canucks to thrive in but it is a team to look out for.

"We've got an interesting squad. Team icons such as Edler and Tanev, you can really sense how much they want to succeed. Toffoli and Pearson won with Los, and then there's this plethora of young guns. It's going to be exciting" Juolevi states in excitement.

"It's been awesome to see and experience the games firsthand. You understand the small margins and nuances of the league. If a team has a hot streak it can be the difference in winning a series. Everything is possible."

It looks like that Vancouver and Olli Juolevi are progressing nicely hand in hand: neither have reached their peaks but the direction is right. If one has to choose who deserves the break, it is Juolevi.

The NHL playoffs start on tuesday. Vancouver challenges the reigning champions St. Louis Blues in round one.
Interesting OJ says it’s only now he’s finally playing without pain in a very long time. We are now seeing what this player naturally plays like, which is with skill, high IQ, and heavy.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so it's great that he's playing better now and even well enough to draw into a playoff game. it's also good that he played the sheltered minutes without looking obviously out of place. these are all huge positives.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
But if OJ would've been bad in those 6 minutes, it would've been undeniable proof of his bustlyness.

OJ was pretty good in limited action - and that's not nothing (how could an actual Canuck fan not be encouraged by this, at the very least?). It doesn't guarantee a long career or anything, but it absolutely is a positive sign.

Agreed, better to see 6 good minutes than bad 6 minutes and build from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad