Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't say that Juolevi plays a heavy game but the physicality aspect seems to be coming around now; in the past it was one of the issues.
Green said, in his post game presser, the coaches were surprised at how heavy a game OJ plays. Kid has elite skills, and very high IQ. Add a heavy game, and that’s a minute munching D man.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No offense but 6 minutes of ice means precisely nothing. Good to see he had a good camp and even got some ice when it mattered, but 6 minutes really is meaningless. Hell Corrado nearly played 20 minutes a game his first 3 games at the end of the regular season straight from the OHL and then over 12 minutes a game in his limited playoff action that year.

This.

He received the 6-minute Evan Oberg treatment that it's pretty much impossible to look bad in. You can't read anything at all into these minutes.

Green said, in his post game presser, the coaches were surprised at how heavy a game OJ plays. Kid has elite skills, and very high IQ. Add a heavy game, and that’s a minute munching D man.

I've probably watched 50 Juolevi games since he's been drafted, and he plays the least heavy game of possibly any defensive prospect I've ever seen. That was an absolutely bizarre quote. It would be like saying that Markus Granlund played a heavy game.

Reactions: timw33

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This.

He received the 6-minute Evan Oberg treatment that it's pretty much impossible to look bad in. You can't read anything at all into these minutes.

I've probably watched 50 Juolevi games since he's been drafted, and he plays the least heavy game of possibly any defensive prospect I've ever seen. That was an absolutely bizarre quote. It would be like saying that Markus Granlund played a heavy game.
It’s what Green said. The OJ games you’ve watched of were a young guy who was recovering from serious injuries. He was much lighter too. Remember it takes a full 12 to 18 months for nerve pathways to recover from serious injuries.
I’d still rather have several other D from the OJ draft (I was hoping for Sergachev) but clearly OJ is showing he’s an NHL player. As a Canuck’s fan I’m happy about that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s what Green said. The OJ games you’ve watched of were a young guy who was recovering from serious injuries. He was much lighter too. Remember it takes a full 12 to 18 months for nerve pathways to recover from serious injuries.
I’d still rather have several other D from the OJ draft (I was hoping for Sergachev) but clearly OJ is showing he’s an NHL player. As a Canuck’s fan I’m happy about that.

I've seen plenty of games where he wasn't recovering from serious injuries. His offensive IQ is very high and his hands and outlet passing are excellent, but the guy is soft as butter and the literal exact opposite of a 'heavy' player. His last year in London - while fully healthy - he looked like he was scared of getting cooties if he touched an opposing player.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I do get this take, but I feel like it ignores the context a little. He had a strong camp, and looked great within those 6 minutes. It's sort of hard to judge his game too much in those 6 minutes, as it could have just been a good night for him where he may get exposed on D any other, but he was making good decisions on D, facilitating with the puck on his stick, and playing in all situations. And remember, this was an elimination game against a very rough and tumble team in Minnesota that came to play for their lives. This was the least sheltered game possible to have his debut in.

Everything within those 6 minutes was indicative of at least bare-minimum NHL readiness to me. His body and skating just needs to hold up, his processing of the game at that level is there.

Almost every AHL/bubble type player is going to look fine in 6 minutes of NHL ice. I said he had a strong camp but 6 minutes of ice doesn't tell you if he's a #11 D-man in the organization or a #6.

6 minutes of ice is the very definition of sheltered.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I've seen plenty of games where he wasn't recovering from serious injuries. His offensive IQ is very high and his hands and outlet passing are excellent, but the guy is soft as butter and the literal exact opposite of a 'heavy' player. His last year in London - while fully healthy - he looked like he was scared of getting cooties if he touched an opposing player.
Green disagrees with you. Green said the coaches were surprised with how heavy a game OJ played. So you’re not arguing with me; you’re arguing with Green.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
As someone who has seen the worst of OJ in Utica and can totally corroborate the softness and avoidant tendencies of his play, I really didn't see any of that in the game against Minn. I was concerned after the WPG game as it sort of looked like he was skating through quicksand in that game, but man, I have to say, even given the small sample size he genuinely looked like a different player to me. He's always been a big game player but I did not see those same weaknesses I was used to.

Dude went into corners and into the boards to battle, he laid the body on Fiala on a pinch to prevent a breakout from one of the Wilds most dangerous offensive threats, he was composed and efficient on his skates. Even in 6 minutes I would have been able to see bad OJ if he showed up, but in every opportunity he had to avoid contact or play soft and slow he did the opposite.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And I'm saying it's a totally bizarre comment, because this player doesn't have an ounce of heaviness to his game.
Say what you like, but that’s what Green said about OJ’s game that stood out to him. To you it’s bizarre; to me it’s promising.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

We talking about 48 or the former 88?

NKu-B3lwOr2HVQWcLY-rbQkMJSiP8bTTfuZkOtYshftMPolklaGRHU3eKdh3IAEuYidDFf0IXOWbQX8yBr_4IMV4SWnGJzTN60srxLnZpHF-tjmwbMzp0aFbi-9_Djkc0lstY6b6aJxEQrimnmzsTJCi7SItSmIQ5qPjP1NreJLQ8stxLw6dvviSRWRyfQp270C5lD_vKL44V1AFpAlbbLhW7bTPMnGzAsxV1dWfEKp4gAPnA7T7N9JH5rLVIldq7B-DKQ-Zz1c-6RFJIo9_s2sazvEdI3ajCowMl8vlX4twC4FsibFCcF_frG2jc8VC__fX7LHZ2ZGBVKy9fQZhIT1c6P3zWtxsLLRLYD6dl2pFZv-GECs-R6iK768w49OjYe-2HcvbKHZH1ANPFbiJtMY4

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Say what you like, but that’s what Green said about OJ’s game that stood out to him. To you it’s bizarre; to me it’s promising.

I mean, you can feel that way ... but it's wrong. If Juolevi succeeds in the NHL it will be on the back of his transition/PP skills and if his positional IQ defensively is good enough to get by. And that may happen. But this is not a player who has any sort of sandpaper or grit or 'heaviness' to his game. He is a soft creampuff, as soft as it gets for an NHL defender.

Reactions: timw33

Kushman

Aug 9, 2020
Almost every AHL/bubble type player is going to look fine in 6 minutes of NHL ice. I said he had a strong camp but 6 minutes of ice doesn't tell you if he's a #11 D-man in the organization or a #6.

6 minutes of ice is the very definition of sheltered.

Probably why Green said he and the rest of the coaching staff were surprised that OJ was out there throwing his weight. Maybe the kid has matured mentally and recovered enough physically to understand that his best shot at making this team is to show that he isn't afraid to step up physically.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'm sure that Green is giving the kid a bit of confidence with those comments as well. Obviously a HC knows that when he provides public analysis of a rookie (especially a much-maligned one) the kid will hear about it.

OJ needs kid gloves and will get them and I have said that I still see him as a "bottom-4" guy who isn't physical but is smart and quick with the puck. I think a Carl Gunnarson would be just the ideal outcome if he can develop a bit more of that willingness to engage, which he still has to show us. At this point you just hope he is filling out, and that strength gives him the confidence to be more assertive physically - and that will hopefully make him a full-time NHLer.

Reactions: MS

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Part of his 6+ minutes has to do with the fact that Hughes and Edler played 51+ minutes. There were only 9-10 mins on the left side that weren't eaten up by those guys.
It's not like any average bottom pairing guy in the league would have played more than 10 or 11 mins. I mean legit bottom pairing guys not the Bartkowski's of the world.
Would the Caleb Jones, Brad Hunt, Derek Forbert's of the league played more than 8 mins?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I mean, you can feel that way ... but it's wrong. If Juolevi succeeds in the NHL it will be on the back of his transition/PP skills and if his positional IQ defensively is good enough to get by. And that may happen. But this is not a player who has any sort of sandpaper or grit or 'heaviness' to his game. He is a soft creampuff, as soft as it gets for an NHL defender.

You might be right. But maybe it’s a good idea not to write in stone what a player’s career is going to look like before he has any injury free nhl games. Why not believe Coach Green and the evidence from the limited game time Juolevi has had against Minnesota that he has improved in the physicality department?

Most nhl players are star players in their junior leagues and don’t have to grind. Some are able to change their playing style to better succeed in the nhl when their skills are no longer enough on their own.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You might be right. But maybe it’s a good idea not to write in stone what a player’s career is going to look like before he has any injury free nhl games. Why not believe Coach Green and the evidence from the limited game time Juolevi has had against Minnesota that he has improved in the physicality department?

Most nhl players are star players in their junior leagues and don’t have to grind. Some are able to change their playing style to better succeed in the nhl when their skills are no longer enough on their own.

6 minutes of hockey from a guy amped up for his NHL debut who kinda bumped with one guy on one of his shifts doesn't erase 4 years of watching this player avoid contact at every possible opportunity.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is the playoffs. Players step up their intensity and physical play all the time. With that said, it's difficult to turn the original huggy bear Marek Malik into a Chris Pronger.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
6 minutes of hockey from a guy amped up for his NHL debut who kinda bumped with one guy on one of his shifts doesn't erase 4 years of watching this player avoid contact at every possible opportunity.

Why does anything have to be erased? You’re talking like Juolevi has personally wronged you. Why not just be like Green and say “hey, Juolevi is playing a more heavy game, which is surprising and encouraging” to paraphrase.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why does anything have to be erased? You’re talking like Juolevi has personally wronged you. Why not just be like Green and say “hey, Juolevi is playing a more heavy game, which is surprising and encouraging” to paraphrase.

Because :

a) it is extremely unlikely that a player who has been contract averse for *years* just suddenly developed a 'heavy' game.

b) this 'more heavy game' is based on a 6-minute sample size where he kinda bumped with a guy once.

If Juolevi (in either Utica or Vancouver) comes out in the first 20 games of next year and is leaning on guys, using his size to win battles, and taking hits to make plays ... that's amazing and I'll admit there's been a change. But for now, I'm extremely dubious. And everyone else should be, too. This player has been the softest defense prospect I've ever seen up to this point.

Kushman

Aug 9, 2020
Because :

a) it is extremely unlikely that a player who has been contract averse for *years* just suddenly developed a 'heavy' game.

b) this 'more heavy game' is based on a 6-minute sample size where he kinda bumped with a guy once.

If Juolevi (in either Utica or Vancouver) comes out in the first 20 games of next year and is leaning on guys, using his size to win battles, and taking hits to make plays ... that's amazing and I'll admit there's been a change. But for now, I'm extremely dubious. And everyone else should be, too. This player has been the softest defense prospect I've ever seen up to this point.

big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man-3.jpg

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I get relying on precedence to make your judgment of this player, but I don't see whats wrong with taking him as he was in his most recent game played and his first proper NHL game? If Juolevi plays like he did in those 6 minutes across entire games and seasons than I think he's a player. Didn't see anything I didn't like.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Because :

It’s what Green and his coaches said that stood out about OJ’s game. They, like you, were surprised OJ played such a heavy game. It’s actually fantastic news! Now we can be excited about OJ becoming the minute munching guy we hoped for at the draft, and not be so pissed at Benning for missing on guys like Sergachev, Chychrun, etc.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

I don't think anyone is expecting OJ to become Sean Pronger however he looks noticeably heavier to me........that and the fact that he's had some extended time to recover hopefully at least adds up to him not being Bambi any time he ventures into a corner. That's been one of the biggest complaints about him. If he can at least become adequate in this department it goes a long ways towards his development.

I think it's erroneous to think that he can't develop into a player that isn't at least capable of handling himself physically as an NHL defenceman. Time will tell but most of us had written him off saying that he had no hope and was done. It would appear we may have been premature in those sentiments.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Like, remember the quote we're talking about here. The coaching staff said that they were "surprised" (pleasantly) about the heaviness of his game, and in general about his growth and performance in the bubble. That means that they understand that it was a weakness for him previously, and are happy with how he's improved in that area. They also didn't say he played a "heavy" game. They said that it was heavier than usual, which is absolutely true, not that you have to step up much from his usual physicality to play heavier than he historically has.

Reactions: Keke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad