Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Green has no contract extension and therefore no motivation to develop young players. For a coach in Green's situation, if an aging vet like Benn is .1% better than a rookie like Juolevi, it makes total sense to play Benn ahead of Juolevi even though playing Juolevi ahead of Benn would make more sense for the long term future of the team.
Green then should be lining up here:

national-post-staff-photo-toronto-ont-february-10-200.jpeg

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he looks surprisingly fine given all the concerns leading up to this season. if he has a flaw it is being unnoticeable.

what i do notice is that juolevi is not getting the standard tire pumping and reward for good play that is typically given to rookies, especially highly touted ones. he's being utilized like a 29 year old depth dman on a one year league minimum deal.

i think it is pretty obvious he is digging himself out of a deep hole. how deep, i do not know.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Now only if Green would actually use him consistantly. Shouldn't have to resort to Benning taking away his favourite toys to make that happen (ie., trading Benn).
Agree but most coaches are like this unless the kid is having a noticeable offensive impact or the team is out of it and they can live with some mistakes for the greater good of the future.

Pat Burns always said if you want me to play the kids then get rid of the veterans. The last thing a coach wants to do is piss off the veteran leadership group for a snot nosed kid and then he wets the bed he has to come back grovelling to the vet.

For a special player exceptions can be made. OJ could be solid but were all aware he's no longer what anyone would consider special

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think he will be a serviceable stay at home guy that can make a nice stretch pass here and there. It's yet to be seen, though, if he has another step of potential left in the tank though that he can aspire to after getting to that point. He certainly has the talent, is still really young, and hasn't had a full go at the league yet with all of his setbacks.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agree but most coaches are like this unless the kid is having a noticeable offensive impact or the team is out of it and they can live with some mistakes for the greater good of the future.

Pat Burns always said if you want me to play the kids then get rid of the veterans. The last thing a coach wants to do is piss off the veteran leadership group for a snot nosed kid and then he wets the bed he has to come back grovelling to the vet.

For a special player exceptions can be made. OJ could be solid but were all aware he's no longer what anyone would consider special
He should make up his mind whether he's his coach or not. That way he won't be coaching with one head looking over his shoulder.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless Rathbone's performance is a mirage and if the Canucks take a flyer on Tryamkin, I'm just not sure where Juolevi fits going forward.

Former high first rounders always have currency in the trade market. There's bound to be a team willing to take a flyer on his 'potential'.

So a trade is probably more likely.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Unless Rathbone's performance is a mirage and if the Canucks take a flyer on Tryamkin, I'm just not sure where Juolevi fits going forward.

Former high first rounders always have currency in the trade market. There's bound to be a team willing to take a flyer on his 'potential'.

So a trade is probably more likely.

Juolevi might fit on the third pair, and I'm confident that he can be at least a #7. I can make a case that Rathbone is the better guy to trade, given that his relative strengths and weaknesses are similar to Hughes' and that he probably provides a little more trade value at this point than Juolevi. Canucks need to shore up defensively more than they need additional offensive firepower from the blue line.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Juolevi might fit on the third pair, and I'm confident that he can be at least a #7. I can make a case that Rathbone is the better guy to trade, given that his relative strengths and weaknesses are similar to Hughes' and that he probably provides a little more trade value at this point than Juolevi. Canucks need to shore up defensively more than they need additional offensive firepower from the blue line.
That makes no sense... problem with Canucks is not the lack of defensive dman, we lack dman that don’t suck.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
That makes no sense... problem with Canucks is not the lack of defensive dman, we lack dman that don’t suck.

Hughes O >>> Hughes D
Myers O > Myers D
Schmidt O = Schmidt D

Those are the three lineup regulars from this season that are signed for next season. And Rathbone is better offensively than defensively. If you could trade Rathbone for a young guy with similar potential value but weighted more toward defence rather than offence, it would make sense.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Rathbone has played 8 professional games of hockey. He is worth much more to the Canucks than he would get on the market.

They do not even know what they have in him yet, why would they trade him?

Start creating depth and competition on the backend and don't pencil in anyone. If Rathbone has to be sent to the AHL then so be it. If he plays himself onto the roster then great.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hopefully Juolevi can be as effective an NHL'er as Ryan Stanton.

That would more than justify 7 years of colossal failure under Benning, having this feather in his drafting guru cap.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Rathbone has played 8 professional games of hockey. He is worth much more to the Canucks than he would get on the market.

Start creating depth and competition on the backend and don't pencil in anyone. If Rathbone has to be sent to the AHL then so be it. If he plays himself onto the roster then great.
Yeah trade Rathbone ? Geez what a horrible idea. He has the potential to be an absolute stud. Zero chance we should be trading him. If u r gonna trade anyone it’s definitely OJ.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Why? Prospects get traded all the time. If a team looking for a young offensive d-man is willing to deal an approximately equally promising young guy who is geared more toward a shutdown role, it would have to be considered.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hughes O >>> Hughes D
Myers O > Myers D
Schmidt O = Schmidt D

Those are the three lineup regulars from this season that are signed for next season. And Rathbone is better offensively than defensively. If you could trade Rathbone for a young guy with similar potential value but weighted more toward defence rather than offence, it would make sense.

Myers and Schmidt are not in the long term plans of the Canucks. Myers just suck, it’s not like he is so good at offense that we can overlook his defense, he sucks at both.
We have no idea what Ratbone is like in the NHL level, he has the size and could be average or above average defensively. It’s not like just because he is good at defense therefore he must suck at defending.

The team needs to plan for the future, and we need more d that don’t suck rather than less.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Myers and Schmidt are not in the long term plans of the Canucks. Myers just suck, it’s not like he is so good at offense that we can overlook his defense, he sucks at both.
We have no idea what Ratbone is like in the NHL level, he has the size and could be average or above average defensively. It’s not like just because he is good at defense therefore he must suck at defending.

The team needs to plan for the future, and we need more d that don’t suck rather than less.

Why wouldn't Schmidt be in the team's long-term plans?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I have more confidence in his outlet passing than anyone other than Hughes. Hughes has the advantage of scrambling under player is open, as a pocket passing OJ is really good. Chatfield and some forwards were having some problems clearing zone which resulted in extra defending time.

This. If we lose OJ for nothing either in expansion draft or traded for peanuts I won’t be happy.

We don’t really know what we have in him yet. He has the makings of a solid if not unspectacular 2nd pairing D IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad