Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There was a report a few days ago that Juolevi (among others) is on the trade block but not creating much interest.
Juolevi was a fifth overall pick; and Virtanan a sixth overall pick. Some team out there would roll the dice, hoping that both guys would eventually live up to the draft billing with a change of scenery.

My problem is that I don't really trust Benning to get anything of value back.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
I am not really sure why he was ever taken out of the lineup, especially after that excellent win against Winnipeg... Every game he has been in since, our defence looks a lot more complete. I liked Juolevi a lot tonight! He transitions the puck quickly, passes well and played pretty well defensively! Nice to see :), i hope he can keep it up! I wouldn't mind Rathbone or Rafferty getting a longer look instead of Benn, only because we know what we get with Benn... whereas I wanna see what we might get from the young guys :D

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I am not really sure why he was ever taken out of the lineup, especially after that excellent win against Winnipeg... Every game he has been in since, our defence looks a lot more complete. I liked Juolevi a lot tonight! He transitions the puck quickly, passes well and played pretty well defensively! Nice to see :), i hope he can keep it up! I wouldn't mind Rathbone or Rafferty getting a longer look instead of Benn, only because we know what we get with Benn... whereas I wanna see what we might get from the young guys :D
Totally agree with this.....Juolevi is playing a quietly effective game, and you can see he's in his element transitioning the puck. Still can't understand why the Canucks are riding Benn, who doesn't have a contract beyond this season and not a chance he'll get one from the Canucks.

Still waiting for Godot (Rathbone).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Funny how after years not showing much of anything in Utica he can come just into the NHL lineup and look solid. Not a world beater or anything (though his last couple games have been genuinely very good), just solid, which to be that at the NHL level usually requires above average play in the AHL.

This isn't a sell high candidate when he has a couple really good games. Can't just give away a potential top 4 defenseman just because he's taken so long to show signs. Bank on that he IS the real deal, not that he isn't. With a forward like Virtanen it's a little different,

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Olli has the puck skills and the brains to be a capable NHLer. That outside speed rush is still a problem for him, however. The team has been much better in the last three games and opponents haven't been flying free through the neutral zone as they were in many of the earlier contests, therefore not as much opportunity to attack Olli that way-- but it's still an issue. He did get beat in Thursday's game for a good scoring chance on an outside rush. He defends better down low than he does when speed is involved.

Hopefully the coach at least realizes now that Olli is a better option than Chatfield.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Trading OJ would be a huge mistake at this point. You can improve skating but u cant improve IQ, look at Jake. IMO Edler is on his last legs, should retire pretty soon. OJ can fill his shoes.

Reactions: LordBacon

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
OJ can fill Edler's shoes?
WFKdN50.gif

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Really liked his game in the last few, outside speed is still a bit of a problem but other than that he's been pretty good. Physicality is not a problem at all, he'll take the body to check a guy and will take a hit to make a pass. Signs of life are there.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I cringe every time I watch him skate to retrieve a puck but he's been decently effective.

No reason we shouldn't continue playing him and seeing what we have.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I actually don't know if that's true. It's not like Benn has historically been a fixture in the lineup.

Edler/Schmidt
Hughes/Hamonic
Juolevi/Myers

seems very plausible.

I suppose that’s a possibility as well - but given Green’s tendency to defer to his veterans, I’d still doubt it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I love JUOLEVI and think we need to be LOUDER about our LOVE for this former #5 overall pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO

MAN I LOVE THIS TEAM :yo:

MichiganFans_original.jpg

ab9e837033598447577516c98de3c4db--broncos-fans-nfl-denver-broncos.jpg

Duke-750x482.jpg

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad