Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I now honestly have no idea what you're on about.

Every contract counts but if you can do math and look at CapGeek you'll see we're in no danger this year or next. Come talk to me about cap trouble when Toews and Kane want to sign with us this year.

And what does me correcting the drinking age have to do with your analogy or my understanding of it?

I give up.

Basically. Why waste the money on OJ when we can use that money to fill the more important areas, like on the wing and D.

Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we need to bring in every big useless contract.

Obviously if Toews and Kane were available that would be a "smart" investment. OJ is not.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Basically. Why waste the money on OJ when we can use that money to fill the more important areas, like on the wing and D.

Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we need to bring in every big useless contract.

Obviously if Toews and Kane were available that would be a "smart" investment. OJ is not.

Thank you.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Top6 winger(s) and a top4 d-man are a priority, yes. But at least one center is needed, whether it's for the 3rd or 4th line will be seen soon enough.

There's just no way we're going into the season with Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck and Shore as the centers.

It's more like a 1st line winger and a 2nd line winger and two top 4 defenders in my books, but that's just an opinion.

Another center (3rd line) is a possibility, not a necessity. If you add a center though you better be prepared to move a young center or two. There's simply nowhere to go for Trochek and Shore at that point (assuming Pirri is entirely on board for being a winger).

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's more like a 1st line winger and a 2nd line winger and two top 4 defenders in my books, but that's just an opinion.
I was trying to be realistic.

Another center (3rd line) is a possibility, not a necessity. If you add a center though you better be prepared to move a young center or two. There's simply nowhere to go for Trochek and Shore at that point (assuming Pirri is entirely on board for being a winger).
There's this thing called the AHL. Shore and Trocheck would benefit more by playing top minutes there, instead of bottom6 minutes in the big league.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I was trying to be realistic.

There's this thing called the AHL. Shore and Trocheck would benefit more by playing top minutes there, instead of bottom6 minutes in the big league.

You don't have to be snippy about it.

Drew Shore is getting a bit old for the thing called the AHL. And I would venture to say Trochek made his case for him being more than ready to be in the NHL. Keeping either of them for too long in lower levels hinders their ability to grow.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You don't have to be snippy about it.
Being realistic /=/ snippy? :huh:

We should be happy if Dale manages to sign at least one from both categories (top6 winger & top4 d-man). The likelyhood of signing multiple of those kind of players is slim to none, capspace or not.

Drew Shore is getting a bit old for the thing called the AHL. And I would venture to say Trochek made his case for him being more than ready to be in the NHL. Keeping either of them for too long in lower levels hinders their ability to grow.
Shore is a 23yo with two seasons of professional experience, how is that considered old?

Trocheck, while he looked good, would still IMO fit better as a winger, especially if Shore is playing 3C. He'd be wasted on the 4th line.

It all depends how Tallon and whoever the hell ends up as the coach sees things, do they think Shore/Trocheck is ready next season for a full season? Maybe, maybe not.

Me among others here, isn't sold on going into next season with a center line-up that has an average age of around 20.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Being realistic /=/ snippy? :huh:

I was referring to not appreciating the whole "there's this thing called the AHL."

We should be happy if Dale manages to sign at least one from both categories (top6 winger & top4 d-man). The likelyhood of signing multiple of those kind of players is slim to none, capspace or not.

Shore is a 23yo with two seasons of professional experience, how is that considered old?

Trocheck, while he looked good, would still IMO fit better as a winger, especially if Shore is playing 3C. He'd be wasted on the 4th line.

It all depends how Tallon and whoever the hell ends up as the coach sees things, do they think Shore/Trocheck is ready next season for a full season? Maybe, maybe not.

Me among others here, isn't sold on going into next season with a center line-up that has an average age of around 20.

I definitely see what you're saying but I think ultimately it's Drew Shore that's the question mark. Do you go with Shore or with an experienced player? I agree, I see Trochek having to go wing and he's got time to grow. Which is, ultimately, the third line.

But the immediate action should be defenders. Wingers and centers we have the bodies for. Both now and the future. Defenders we only have for the future. And arguably not enough for that. General rule of thumb... have twice the amount of prospects as you have positions you want them to fill. For example... we have Barkov and Bjugstad both capable of being a 1C.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's ridiculous to me some have a desire to bring Olli back, he represents pretty much everything we're trying to get away from. Louie didn't trust Keenan and had silly demands that couldn't be met, but he still played hard and was good to the fan base. Olli have up when we still had a shot at the playoffs and decided a strip club with Horton was better than fulfilling an obligation with paying customers.

Tallon won't be bringing him back. Same as he didn't last time. Nothing to debate.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It's ridiculous to me some have a desire to bring Olli back, he represents pretty much everything we're trying to get away from. Louie didn't trust Keenan and had silly demands that couldn't be met, but he still played hard and was good to the fan base. Olli have up when we still had a shot at the playoffs and decided a strip club with Horton was better than fulfilling an obligation with paying customers.

Tallon won't be bringing him back. Same as he didn't last time. Nothing to debate.

Bingo.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

As long as he puts the puck in the net for us, he can go party with M.Richards and J.Carter if he likes, not going to be happy if we lose out on the Gaborik/Vanek/ect sweepstakes (which we probably will) and we're still stuck with the same inept group of forwards.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
As long as he puts the puck in the net for us, he can go party with M.Richards and J.Carter if he likes, not going to be happy if we lose out on the Gaborik/Vanek/ect sweepstakes (which we probably will) and we're still stuck with the same inept group of forwards.

It's great that we have so many of Tallons right handed men that know exactly how the off season will play out. Now I don't have to worry about what's going to happen.

By this logic, I wonder what our jerseys will look like when we're in Quebec?

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
It's great that we have so many of Tallons right handed men that know exactly how the off season will play out. Now I don't have to worry about what's going to happen.

So who we getting that you want? Also I didn't say we were for sure not getting these guys or that we won't be making any additions, we're going to spend money, the question is will they be as good as the top tier free agent group.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I'm not sure what added dimension Olli would bring to the team.

His shot is pretty good on the power play but that is about it. Pretty average defensively, not great in the face off circle. Average hockey IQ and play making ability. When he is motivated he is a completely different player though.

Possibly might be a good fit with Huberdeau.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
So who we getting that you want? Also I didn't say we were for sure not getting these guys or that we won't be making any additions, we're going to spend money, the question is will they be as good as the top tier free agent group.

That's not my job to know. I won't know until everyone else does. I got to give Vinny the benefit of the the doubt here. He said they are spending money so I at least got to reserve judgement until our roster for next season is complete.

We don't just have to acquire players via free agency. We can go the trade route.

But if it is OJ I'm not getting Center Ice this year.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

What an absurd comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad