Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Just say no.

Jokinen seemed like a good captain here, except he couldn't help this team get into the playoffs despite the good seasons he had and occasionally some decent talent around him. He was a one-trick pony for goalscoring (almost every goal scored from the same point near the left faceoff circle). And as for his "leadership", how much leadership does it show to essentially quit on your team for the last 3 months of the season because you don't like the coach? And encourage one of the young first round draft picks to have the same respect for the team?

I'll pass. We don't know who our head coach will be, and what if Jokinen doesn't like him? Too much to pay for dead weight if that happens.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Just say no.

Jokinen seemed like a good captain here, except he couldn't help this team get into the playoffs despite the good seasons he had and occasionally some decent talent around him. He was a one-trick pony for goalscoring (almost every goal scored from the same point near the left faceoff circle). And as for his "leadership", how much leadership does it show to essentially quit on your team for the last 3 months of the season because you don't like the coach? And encourage one of the young first round draft picks to have the same respect for the team?

I'll pass. We don't know who our head coach will be, and what if Jokinen doesn't like him? Too much to pay for dead weight if that happens.

Well said.

Now, you can lock up this stupid thread.

Last edited:

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
jokinen's real leadership has only risen in the last few years, and no matter what head coach there will be.. OJ would be a good warrior

but yeah i dont think he's needed. only if you really want to use him as stop gap and kinda safety net if injuries hit.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Just say no.

Is this quitting thing about what he said "didn't give 100% in every game"? It's just cultural thing, he just honestly said what happened. North American players would have told that they gave 125% in every game and everybody would have been happy.

JOL

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Is this quitting thing about what he said "didn't give 100% in every game"? It's just cultural thing, he just honestly said what happened. North American players would have told that they gave 125% in every game and everybody would have been happy.

JOL

No, it's about the fact he CLEARLY wasn't giving 100% every game. Even when, at that particular time, certain other members of the team WERE giving it their all trying to close the gap to make the playoffs, since they weren't that far out at the All-Star break. But Olli wasn't helping at all because he wanted Martin gone (pretty sure that's the coach AND GM he had his issues with) and it really hurt the effort since he was supposed to be the team's leading offensive producer. He scored almost no points - let alone goals - down the stretch that season.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
No, it's about the fact he CLEARLY wasn't giving 100% every game. Even when, at that particular time, certain other members of the team WERE giving it their all trying to close the gap to make the playoffs, since they weren't that far out at the All-Star break. But Olli wasn't helping at all because he wanted Martin gone (pretty sure that's the coach AND GM he had his issues with) and it really hurt the effort since he was supposed to be the team's leading offensive producer. He scored almost no points - let alone goals - down the stretch that season.
When was that stretch, before All Stars game or after?

JOL

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
No one has proposed a legit alternative to OJ?

If your alternative is starting the season with 4 ELC pivots then I sincerely wish you were GM. Of Tampa.

The money thing is bogus. We're no where close to the cap. We could pay him $6 mill this year and not even notice. Not that we should, but it's not a problem.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The money is not bogus. It's imperative that we DONT spend to the cap. Do you know why Brian Campbell is in Florida? DTs trigger happy contract signings.

Just because you turned 21 doesn't mean it's healthy to finish the bottle in one chug.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Where is everyone getting this info that OJ would not accept being behind Barkov/Bjugstad? Doesn't matter, this is my best guess to what Tallon would say to that: "I hope Jokinen plays like he wants to be the #1 center here, it's not a retirement gig, we're trying to compete for the playoffs".

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Where is everyone getting this info that OJ would not accept being behind Barkov/Bjugstad? Doesn't matter, this is my best guess to what Tallon would say to that: "I hope Jokinen plays like he wants to be the #1 center here, it's not a retirement gig, we're trying to compete for the playoffs".
His ego.

kooma 13

Mar 15, 2014
To be honest i cant see panthers being playoff team next season if barkov and bjugs are 1c and 2c. Not just yet.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
To be honest i cant see panthers being playoff team next season if barkov and bjugs are 1c and 2c. Not just yet.

Not a Cup team, but I easily see them being a playoff team behind those two...the problem the Panthers have isn't at center, it's at wing. Bjugstad exceeded all expectations last year and Barkov played older than he actually is. As long as they stay healthy, there's no problems at center on the top two lines.

But without wingers with the ability to score and reliably backcheck, the team can't win.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
And the blueline.

well, yeah - got too myopic and was only talking about the front end. Still, the D could be adequate if a certain somebody takes early retirement and certain others play as they should. We add Ekblad and we've got something pretty good in the works.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

With the right wingers, they can absolutely lead our top two lines. What makes you think otherwise? Both are highly skilled, very good in their own zone, have the whole offseason to work on and off the ice, and have learned what its like to play elite minutes in the NHL. Those two are the least of our concerns. If we can add two quality top six wingers, and shore up our defense, we definitely have a shot at making the playoffs next season.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
The money is not bogus. It's imperative that we DONT spend to the cap. Do you know why Brian Campbell is in Florida? DTs trigger happy contract signings.

Just because you turned 21 doesn't mean it's healthy to finish the bottle in one chug.

BC and his contract are related to OJ and the remote possibility of him coming here for a season or two how exactly...? You're worried that they're going to sign OJ to an eight year, $80 million dollar contract...?

Well, yes, I suppose I would be against that.

And I'm Canadian, so 19.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

Amen.

kooma 13

Mar 15, 2014
With the right wingers, they can absolutely lead our top two lines. What makes you think otherwise? Both are highly skilled, very good in their own zone, have the whole offseason to work on and off the ice, and have learned what its like to play elite minutes in the NHL. Those two are the least of our concerns. If we can add two quality top six wingers, and shore up our defense, we definitely have a shot at making the playoffs next season.

I just think that both are too young and unexperienced to lead team to playoffs in a league with 82 regular season games. Im extremely happy if im wrong tho. Its not that they dont have it in them, its just that its too much, too soon.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
BC and his contract are related to OJ and the remote possibility of him coming here for a season or two how exactly...? You're worried that they're going to sign OJ to an eight year, $80 million dollar contract...?

Well, yes, I suppose I would be against that.

And I'm Canadian, so 19.

If you buy a player and waste money now, like with Jokinen, it will hurt you in the future. Brian Campbell was purchased in good times for the Blackhawks, along with a bunch of other players. Then, Chicago ended up in cap hell. Now, you can make the case that Chicago was a good team, but not every team in cap hell is a Stanley cup winning team.

You clearly did not understand the drinking age analogy. Every contract counts. You can't just sign them all at once, just like you can't just go and down a bottle.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think a 1-2 year contract offered to Olli Jokinen would be as bad as the 2 year deal Tallon offered Kuba. I'd be very surprised if Jokinen came here and was AS BAD as Kuba in the sense of adding experience. A veteran Center that can play 2C, 3C and 4C if need be for around $3.5 million for a year or two is a decent fit for this team RIGHT NOW.

Whether he wants to come back here is a whole different question. Some guys are acting like our center depth is experienced enough to handle 82 games plus playoffs. We need a veteran center just like we need veteran wingers and defense. The major difference is the length of the contract for the center vs the wingers and defense.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Some guys are acting like our center depth is experienced enough to handle 82 games plus playoffs. We need a veteran center just like we need veteran wingers and defense. The major difference is the length of the contract for the center vs the wingers and defense.
Most posters realise that a veteran center is needed, but OJ just isn't the right guy to fill that role.

I'd rather bring Goc back for two years if he's interested in returning.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Most posters realise that a veteran center is needed, but OJ just isn't the right guy to fill that role.

I'd rather bring Goc back for two years if he's interested in returning.

Ya I missed Goc's faceoff ability but doubt he's coming back this way.

Think of the "FLYING FINNS" powerplay line though Soupy,

Bergy - Barkov - Jokinen :sarcasm:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I just don't see why we need a center. We have more centers than can fit on a team. No need for Jokinen. No need for Goc. None of that. We need to invest in DEFENDERS first and foremost, as well as a pair of scoring wingers.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I just don't see why we need a center. We have more centers than can fit on a team. No need for Jokinen. No need for Goc. None of that. We need to invest in DEFENDERS first and foremost, as well as a pair of scoring wingers.
Top6 winger(s) and a top4 d-man are a priority, yes. But at least one center is needed, whether it's for the 3rd or 4th line will be seen soon enough.

There's just no way we're going into the season with Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck and Shore as the centers.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
If you buy a player and waste money now, like with Jokinen, it will hurt you in the future. Brian Campbell was purchased in good times for the Blackhawks, along with a bunch of other players. Then, Chicago ended up in cap hell. Now, you can make the case that Chicago was a good team, but not every team in cap hell is a Stanley cup winning team.

You clearly did not understand the drinking age analogy. Every contract counts. You can't just sign them all at once, just like you can't just go and down a bottle.

I now honestly have no idea what you're on about.

Every contract counts but if you can do math and look at CapGeek you'll see we're in no danger this year or next. Come talk to me about cap trouble when Toews and Kane want to sign with us this year.

And what does me correcting the drinking age have to do with your analogy or my understanding of it?

I give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad