Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Score was reporting Olli Jokinen has not been contacted by Jets brass for a new contract as of yet.

2236277466_17e2e121cd.jpg

Do we offer him a 2 year deal @ $3 to 3.5 million for a comeback tour? If you can believe this, he's only missed playing 19 NHL games since coming to Florida in 2000-01. Career high 39 goals/91 point season for us in 06-07.

He can still produce, 18g/43pts this season with the Peg. Brings some leadership, can fill 3C if Shore faulters, would bring some skill to a 4C role if needed. Hayes - Jokinen - Upshall would be interesting to watch. Size, skill and some grit.

Thoughts?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
3-3.5 million for a fourth line center.

We have:
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, Pirri, Trocheck, who all can play center in the NHL. Now, I'll assume that one or two of the last three players listed, one will play on the wing.

I'm not opposed to having veteran forwards on this team, however, I don't see the need of spending 3-3.5 million for a bottom six center, when it's not a huge need. We need to dump that money on scoring wingers and defense.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
3-3.5 million for a fourth line center.

We have:
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, Pirri, Trocheck, who all can play center in the NHL. Now, I'll assume that one or two of the last three players listed, one will play on the wing.

I'm not opposed to having veteran forwards on this team, however, I don't see the need of spending 3-3.5 million for a bottom six center, when it's not a huge need. We need to dump that money on scoring wingers and defense.

I see your point. Ya my thinking was Trocheck starts year in SA, Pirri converts to wing, Shore and Jokinen battle for 3C. Not a stretch to say if Bjugs stumbles a bit, Jokinen can still possibly play 2C if absolutely needed. You have to remember, Jovo and Upshall free up $7.5 million end of next year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
OJ (or more like his ego) isn't going to settle for 3C.

I'm guessing he'll take a discount with Chicago and replace Handzus as their 2C.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I see your point. Ya my thinking was Trocheck starts year in SA, Pirri converts to wing, Shore and Jokinen battle for 3C. Not a stretch to say if Bjugs stumbles a bit, Jokinen can still possibly play 2C if absolutely needed. You have to remember, Jovo and Upshall free up $7.5 million end of next year.

I see yours as well.

It's not a bad idea to have at least veteran center when the current center core is full of guys still on their ELCs.

If it was a 1-2 year deal, sure.

I think the main issue some will see with this is not because it's a veteran center, it's because it's OJ.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Absolutely, 1-2 year deal, he'll easily take 1C position.

JOL

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.

If they can somehow dump Kopecky and or Upshall, sure.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

We have enough bottom6 forwards as it is already.

Also, Komarov needs a good supporting cast in the form of 2 enforcers. We can't be be sure if the team even has one next year, let alone two.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He doesn't really fit in our lineup and direction we're going. We need to spend money on winger and d-men.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely, 1-2 year deal, he'll easily take 1C position.

JOL

You're that confident he would skate his way right back into 1C? I don't see it but it would push Barkov to compete at a higher level.

I'm guessing he'll take a discount with Chicago and replace Handzus as their 2C.

Ya I could see that happen but I also don't just because it'll depend on how much #88 and #19 collect on July 1st.

He doesn't really fit in our lineup and direction we're going. We need to spend money on winger and d-men.

Figured competition between Bjugstad, Jokinen and Shore would be good. Tallon also stated he wanted 5 veterans so I assume a player per position.

1 - veteran C
2 - top line sniper RW/LW
3 - top 6 winger LW/RW
4 - top line D
5 - top 6 D

As much as I don't want Ellis as our backup, I see Tallon drafting our future #1 goalie at next year's draft in Florida.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Big guy with a big shot at the point, finished this season with decent numbers and can actually stay healthy. He didn't do well with us playing wing, but there aren't a whole lot of attractive free agent forwards if Gaborik and Vanek re-sign with their clubs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I too believe he's Chicago bound. What no one is mentioning here is that he's nearing the end of his career (36 soon) and has played almost 1200 games with a grand total of 6 playoff games. He probably wants to go to a winner at this point in his career.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
We have so many centers that it is sad to have to see so many guys not make the team or play out of their natural position.

Great problem to have, but I'd rather take $3 million that you want to spend on Olli and make it some overpaid contract for some NHL-able defenders. Or maybe a winger or two.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
No way I even consider bringing back that bozo. Especially since he has become a shell of his former productive self. I've moved on, I suggest the rest of you do the same.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'd have to think about it, but for 1-2 years, I'd maybe consider it for a 4th line Center as he still is putting up respectable numbers. I think it depends on who makes the team out of camp or gets sent to San Antonio.

I really would not be surprised if he was brought back here though to increase fan interest as most casual fans know who he is. He also calls South Florida home during the off-season.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Again, 36, 6 playoff games, he's going to waste the last part of his career here? He has enough money, he probably wants to win.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He would have led the cats in points, tied for second in helpers and second in goals. Jets had a pretty screwy year as well and any game I watched Jokinen was one of the bright spots. And Still wears an 'A' for them.

I guess we can't say without training camp but I'd be shocked if he wasn't 2C, or 3C if Bark/bjugstad are just flying out of the gate.

I love the idea of Bark/Jugs/Trotchek/Shore down the middle but I can't see having a couple years of a reliable, veteran leader who has ties to the organization and is the same nationality of our top-prospect being anything but good.

Even if we have to overpay a bit. As long as its just a year or two I'd be a fan.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
for 1-2yrs at an affordable price? i wouldnt mind it. i wouldnt mind having a vet on the 3rd line. barkov-bjugstad-pirri-shore as our 4 centers would be a lot of youth down the middle. bergenheim will probably be on the 3rd so those 2 finns would be together. Bergenheim-Jokinen-Boyes as a 3rd line wouldnt be bad at all. its worth considering if short term.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
He could have been useful over the past couple years, but at this point I don't see the sense in bringing him back.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Yeah. Leading our entire team in offense sounds awful. I see your well argued points and concede to them.

At least say you don't like his hair or something.

I would gladly take the 91pt Jokinen 8 years ago(and his hair cut). But I'm inclined to see how Barkov and Bjugstad do in that spot. I'd prefer a scoring winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: