Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I would gladly take the 91pt Jokinen 8 years ago(and his hair cut). But I'm inclined to see how Barkov and Bjugstad do in that spot. I'd prefer a scoring winger.

I'd also prefer a scoring winger but I don't see any reason we couldn't get both this year(assuming he's willing to come for a year or two).

It's borderline insane to expect 4 ELC pivots to endure 82 games and (god willing) playoffs. Hubby and Pirri and Howden and Roco are wingers in my books. Our depth chart gets very sparse after our 4 young guys. I'd love to see the young guys grab and hold those 4 spots all year but the chances of that happening...

If every FA d-man is just dying to come to Florida and we rack up some cap hits I could maybe see it not fitting. Or, I guess if we draft a guy like Draisitil and he kills it in camp. But that doesn't seem likely.

I guess the question is what is an alternative? I don't think there's any way that DT goes into training camp with a Jesse Winchester type as his backup plan for 2C/3C. OJ is the first guy on the FA C list that I could see being a fit. Bolland next. Steve Ott? Kidding. Kidding.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, comparing point leaders on two different team is smart.

The Jets scored an extra goal every 3 games compared to the panthers...

You don't trip and fall into 40 points in the NHL in your mid-thirties on a less-than-mediocre team as a 2/3 C.

OJ played 17-ish minutes a night. Same as Barkov/Goc/Bjugstad/Trotchek averaged.

Comparing players on different teams is sort of what people do. On HF especially. Can I compare guys that play on different lines on the same team? How about in different leagues? How about trying to project a player into next season with a new team and different players?

But I'm opened to suggestion. What do we do for next season?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
He won't be a Panther next season. Could've come back last time, need wingers for the kids, not Ollie. Skipped over last time, why would Tallon sign him now?

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He won't be a Panther next season. Could've come back last time, need wingers for the kids, not Ollie. Skipped over last time, why would Tallon sign him now?

I'm not even disagreeing with that logic. It seems unlikely he'd end up back here for a variety of reasons.

But who fills that need, then? Of the current FA pool, I'll take OJ for a year or two on a not outrageous cap hit over the other options (if managment will ask him and if he will come, and as you say, those are a big couple of if's).

Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?

And the 'rather spend the money elsewhere' thing only works if there's some evidence we'll get anywhere close to the cap this year or next. I don't think our rep among FA's has changed all that much just yet. We have to spend 30 to get to the cieling this year and 30 just to get to the floor the next season. And it'll probably go up, too.

I guess if you want to argue that there is no evidence that Viola has actually given DT the green light to spend to the cap then maybe I'd accept that as a reasonable caveat, as well.

So I guess what I am saying is, despite all these compelling counter-counter arguments, if OJ is on the menu, pour me a glass.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.

Komarov was a BEAST versus Panthers (someone might know more about him). What I saw was a big loss for Leafs. My Leafs friend was like "meh" at the time which surprised me.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?
OJ's history aside, there's just no way he'd come play 2nd fiddle to Barkov and Bjugs. He's still an effective and a good 2C on a normal team.

Chicago makes way too much sense, as long as OJ is down to taking only a 1year deal. I remember reading after he signed with Winnipeg that family came first. At 36, IMO it's now or never to go for the cup.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
I'm not even disagreeing with that logic. It seems unlikely he'd end up back here for a variety of reasons.

But who fills that need, then? Of the current FA pool, I'll take OJ for a year or two on a not outrageous cap hit over the other options (if managment will ask him and if he will come, and as you say, those are a big couple of if's).

And the 'rather spend the money elsewhere' thing only works if there's some evidence we'll get anywhere close to the cap this year or next. I don't think our rep among FA's has changed all that much just yet. We have to spend 30 to get to the cieling this year and 30 just to get to the floor the next season. And it'll probably go up, too.

I guess if you want to argue that there is no evidence that Viola has actually given DT the green light to spend to the cap then maybe I'd accept that as a reasonable caveat, as well.

So I guess what I am saying is, despite all these compelling counter-counter arguments, if OJ is on the menu, pour me a glass.

No evidence of Viola giving Tallon the green light? What do you call Thomas,Gilbert,Boyes, and then Luongo?? That's a bunch of money locked up in those players, especially Lu. If you ask me, that's enough evidence.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No evidence of Viola giving Tallon the green light? What do you call Thomas,Gilbert,Boyes, and then Luongo?? That's a bunch of money locked up in those players, especially Lu. If you ask me, that's enough evidence.

Bolded were signed before Viola took over. Luongo's term is awful, but with the cap's major increase and Van paying 15%, the money can't be beat. Boyes signed to a really reasonable extension. Florida is currently 15 million under the cap floor, they will probably just get above it, I can't see where 40 million is going to be spent this off season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hell no! Komarov on the other hand would be ideal 3rd liner for this team. Hits, agitator and good for 10-15 goals

PanthersAllDay1225

MORDE-KULI
May 20, 2010
Bolded were signed before Viola took over. Luongo's term is awful, but with the cap's major increase and Van paying 15%, the money can't be beat. Boyes signed to a really reasonable extension. Florida is currently 15 million under the cap floor, they will probably just get above it, I can't see where 40 million is going to be spent this off season.

yes but they were brought in BECAUSE Viola was coming. Hence why they were all down in those last 2 weeks before the season started.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

We don't have to rely on just scrubs in the UFA market. We can go about scoring wingers via trade.

The belief is not that we are happy with our centers from 1-4. The question you need to ask yourself is, will OJ sign knowing he will be behind Barkov and Bjugstad? The answer is no.

We have no need for OJ. However I would go for a guy like Ott or Brian Boyle for our 4th line C.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
yeah we needs to get a lot meaner in all our bottom lines and let every team know that they ain't touching barkov, huby or whoever without paying a price.
toughness is something i think we've been lacking overall the last couple of seasons even tho we have had one or perhaps two pretty though guys in our team i think we needs to get alot tougher.
as "TheFlame" said, i'd like it if we got a guy like boyle, stewart or someone like that. we're pretty soft right now and that's something that bothers me cuz we need players who protect our players, especially the young guys.
in the future some of our prospects and young guns will be playing tougher but right now they're not exept for mabye guddy. i'm not talking bout going into the corners or in front of the net i mean after the whistle blow and the shoving game is on u know?

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
We don't have to rely on just scrubs in the UFA market. We can go about scoring wingers via trade.

The belief is not that we are happy with our centers from 1-4. The question you need to ask yourself is, will OJ sign knowing he will be behind Barkov and Bjugstad? The answer is no.

We have no need for OJ. However I would go for a guy like Ott or Brian Boyle for our 4th line C.

I was just thinking about trying to get Brian Boyle for our 4C spot.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hell no! Komarov on the other hand would be ideal 3rd liner for this team. Hits, agitator and good for 10-15 goals

Exactly. Guy is such a pest for other teams to play against and has skill too.
No, just no. Nothing against Komarov, I actually love him as a player, but we have enough bottom6 forwards already and let's face it, no one is there to protect him when the eventual ****storm Komarov causes happens. He had at least one of Orr, McLaren or Brown protecting him in Toronto, more than often two of those. Who knows if this team even has an enforcer next year.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
No, just no. Nothing against Komarov, I actually love him as a player, but we have enough bottom6 forwards already and let's face it, no one is there to protect him when the eventual ****storm Komarov causes happens. He had at least one of Orr, McLaren or Brown protecting him in Toronto, more than often two of those. Who knows if this team even has an enforcer next year.

Enforcers are dead in NHL. The closest we'll have to that is Gudbranson / Petrovic

Maybe Barch sticks around? Komarov is better than our 3rd liners

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Agree. Though guys like Parros, Scott, Orr are outdated. You need them to take regular shifts nowadays.

I don't care for any of those guys anymore, other than maybe Orr. I'm more than fine with enforcers having to be players who can keep up with the play. That's why I loved Laus so much. Barch isn't the most effective enforcer, but I like what he brings, he knows his job, and keeps up with the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad