Salary Cap: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Prediction

OEL does well? HF Canucks will give all the credit to Sedins.

OEL does poorly? HF Canucks blames Benning.
Regardless OEL is doing well or not in here, no one is stupid enough to trade a high draft pick for a 30 years old defenseman, his prime will be over when we are ready to compete again. At best, we got a good defenseman who has a hefty price tag for a few more years, and in worst case scenario we got another Eriksson.

This is a trade you made when your team is already a contender, we are not where near a contender, this trade made no sense. I am surprised that this team is able to disappoint me in every way.

/Rant

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Regardless OEL is doing well or not in here, no one is stupid enough to trade a high draft pick for a 30 years old defenseman, his prime will be over when we are ready to compete again. At best, we got a good defenseman who has a hefty price tag for a few more years, and in worst case scenario we got another Eriksson.

This is a trade you made when your team is already a contender, we are not where near a contender, this trade made no sense. I am surprised that this team is able to disappoint me in every way.

/Rant

The 9OA is for Garland.

.... Or do you not know who Garland is?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The 9OA is for Garland.

I am well aware of him, you are talking about trading Dylan Guenther for Garland and what basically a liability in OEL, how does it made the trade sound better?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

/Rant
When the trade first occurred, it looked to me, like precisely what you said...'the team is not a contender..why make this deal now ?'.........From what I'm ascertaining ......Its more imperative that this 'current' core group take the next step now, than waiting around for player X (Guenther) to make an impact (2-3 years)......There's already enough young good players on the roster.

This is what management is thinking IMO...I think it's the correct move.....but did they win this trade in isolation ..?...Probably not, but it enabled them to do ..what they wanted to do.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They're still in cap hell. All the OEL deal has done is extended the pain, rather than just waiting it out for another season.
OEL - if he does not recover form - poses a short term liability of 7.25 on the cap and the long term buyout after like four years would reach 2030.

The opportunity cost of getting OEL is horrific. Then again, it is for any one of the bottom six or seven contracts in the NHL.

Reactions: MarkMM

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
When the trade first occurred, it looked to me, like precisely what you said...'the team is not a contender..why make this deal now ?'.........From what I'm ascertaining ......Its more imperative that this 'current' core group take the next step now, than waiting around for player X (Guenther) to make an impact (2-3 years)......There's already enough young good players on the roster.

This is what management is thinking IMO...I think it's the correct move.....but did they win this trade in isolation ..?...Probably not, but it enabled them to do ..what they wanted to do.

Yep.

We are one of the cup favourites from here on out.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Well. Im not sure we wont be!

So I say there is a chance!
350.png

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I am well aware of him, you are talking about trading Dylan Guenther for Garland and what basically a liability in OEL, how does it made the trade sound better?

Garland, in a short resume, has proved that he can play, barring another Ferland level of poor luck with injury, and will be able to contribute to the success of the team, instantly.

Garland is 100% Garland.
9th OA pick has a much lower % chance of being the player of Garland's level.

Garland can contribute NOW as a solid top 6 winger.
9rh OA pick, even assuming 100% will turn out to be a solid top 6 player, will not be able to contribute for another 3 to 5 years.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Garland, in a short resume, has proved that he can play, barring another Ferland level of poor luck with injury, and will be able to contribute to the success of the team, instantly.

Garland is 100% Garland.
9th OA pick has a much lower % chance of being the player of Garland's level.

Garland can contribute NOW as a solid top 6 winger.
9rh OA pick, even assuming 100% will turn out to be a solid top 6 player, will not be able to contribute for another 3 to 5 years.

Just wait and see.

The hater crowd will attack you with some mumbo jumbo about cost controlled contracts needed for cup runs blah blah blah.

Reactions: JAK and Avaetheon

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Just wait and see.

The hater crowd will attack you with some mumbo jumbo about cost controlled contracts needed for cup runs blah blah blah.

Typical HF, a 7th round pick is more valueable than a Calder, Art Ross, Smythe triple crown winner.

Reactions: Avaetheon

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Typical HF, a 7th round pick is more valueable than a Calder, Art Ross, Smythe triple crown winner.

Or that players outperforming their contracts are somehow important ... Sigh.

Cap space doesnt win you games guys. Jeesus...

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Or that players outperforming their contracts are somehow important ... Sigh.

Cap space doesnt win you games guys. Jeesus...

Tampa has also shown that, cap hell leads to 2 cups. Just have to be good to work around it.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
At this point he’s basically Loui eriksson’s heir.
I’ll be ecstatic if he can be a top 4 for us (not a hard job if you ask me)

Reactions: Nucker101

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
If the Canucks miss the playoffs again this year he'll be fired
He will not be fired, but won't be resigned when his contract ends. Why do you think Aqua brought the twins here? It's not just to placate the fans. He wants them to take over. Even Aqua can see that twins are smart people.
We just have to suffer 2 more years and hope Jimbo does limited damage to the franchise.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

/Rant

So everyone keeps making this 'compressed window argument', I posted this on the main board;

So now tell that to Bo Horvat, how many of his prime years do you want to waste here?

Theres the talk of this compressing our window, I'd make the argument the other way. Horvat is a win now player, if we wait 2 more years to start challenging your shortening his window - and he's a massive part of our team ever becoming a contender.

I'd argue Demko is entering the 'win now' window too, plus Pettersson/Hughes are elite right now. These guys all have runway, but they are in or entering their primes.

Jim Benning is right that the team needs to take a step & get these guys into the playoffs - so that core group can grow. Gotta support them to do that.

The team is entering the competitive window now, our core is all here right now & good right now. I don't understand what mystical thing your waiting on before we finally start surrounding the core with some help.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
So everyone keeps making this 'compressed window argument', I posted this on the main board;

The team is entering the competitive window now, our core is all here right now & good right now. I don't understand what mystical thing your waiting on before we finally start surrounding the core with some help.

The timing of this core's window was EXACTLY why people here were arguing against the Benning Blunders of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson in the first place. But those mistakes were made, and if we had the foresight and discipline to wait it out then we'd be able to have the maneuvering room and assets to make the most of what's left.

Now the remaining window is handicapped as well, and people are still defending it. Denying that Benning made bad decisions and then defending this bad decision using the argument that it's needed to get us out of the situation we're in (caused by the mistakes his defenders denied were mistakes all along) shows how much people aren't learning despite being repeatedly proven wrong for going on a decade now.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The timing of this core's window was EXACTLY why people here were arguing against the Benning Blunders of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson in the first place. But those mistakes were made, and if we had the foresight and discipline to wait it out then we'd be able to have the maneuvering room and assets to make the most of what's left.

Now the remaining window is handicapped as well, and people are still defending it. Denying that Benning made bad decisions and then defending this bad decision using the argument that it's needed to get us out of the situation we're in (caused by the mistakes his defenders denied were mistakes all along) shows how much people aren't learning despite being repeatedly proven wrong for going on a decade now.

Exactly. Benning made a number of cap-killing mistakes that he 'cleaned up' with the trade, only to saddle us with a bigger anchor - Kudos to the poster with the Simpson's Stonecutter reference; it's perfectly apt.

The only way this works out is if the following things happen:
1) OEL re-invents his game to be the high minute tough match up dman this team desperately needs. He was that guy through most of the teens but a number of worrying injuries to his knee and wrist have robbed him of his lateral mobility and shot, respectively. But stranger things have happened.

2) OEL maintains that level of play for 3 years minimum when the buyout is a bit less rocky.

3) The salary cap rises and further dilutes the buyout penalty.

4) Garland shows he's a legit top6 forward and lives up the big contract we're about to award to him.

I can see 3 and 4 kind of working out. 1 and 2 are very iffy bets and the consequences of them not working out are dire.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The 9OA is for Garland.

Uh actually it went in the same transaction but again RFA rights for a player like Garland is not worth a top 10 pick.

See what Pavel Buchnevich was just acquired for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad