Salary Cap: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Will reserve my judgement until 10 games or so seeing him play.

Playing for Arizona, mothers death, lotsa factors could have been weighing on him the last few years.

Welcome to Van City OEL!

One thing for sure though, he is an awesome ambassador and community leader, this will be great for Canuck Place and other organizations we support!

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
30 years old, declining for 3 straight seasons, who fits that profile and has come back from it? Oh and locked in for 6 more years

The pessimistic view is we just trashed the rest of Horvat's window.

The optimistic view is that it's actually a pretty buyout friendly deal all things considered!

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Need some optimists, how can one expect him to bounce back because he has sucked for the last few years.
One can argue being in a dysfunctional org like the yotes affected his on ice performance
Though that’s really pushing it
The reality is likely that even if he bounces back he’s a #2 at best

honestly I wouldn’t mind him at 7m if we don’t already have Tyler Myers

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When the most optimistic takes are in the vein of 'he was probably just so bad in Arizona because he quit on the team there' that's probably not a good start.

I've found this player to be soft/lazy for years and after some knee injuries his skating isn't where it used to be either.

He's a decent transition defender. He's good on the PP - but is unlikely to play there much. Defensively he's a softer Tyler Myers. Lots of standing around, doesn't love contact.

TOI has declined 7 years in a row which must be some sort of record.

Reactions: geebaan

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
30 years old, declining for 3 straight seasons, who fits that profile and has come back from it? Oh and locked in for 6 more years

The pessimistic view is we just trashed the rest of Horvat's window.

The optimistic view is that it's actually a pretty buyout friendly deal all things considered!
Dustin Brown
I know it’s funny but he did bounce back

Mar 20, 2010
Last offseason, it was said that Benning's hope was that OEL would form a 1-2 puck-moving duo with Hughes similar to what Klingberg/Heiskanen were doing for DAL into the SCF at the time. Ideally, at least one of them would be on the ice for almost the whole game. He also saw OEL as a replacement for Edler.

Don't think it's that unrealistic. If it works out, it's a better deal than last offseason.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
FML!

People blaming his poor play on the Coyotes have no ideea what they are talking about. He was part of the problem. It's a sign of bad character if the team's captain does not care.

In the next few days we will see some disgusting shilling . It has already begun.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Wow, for some reason, i 100% thought OEL plays the right side. One of those left-shot right side guys.
Is that not the case?

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I asked the coyotes fans on their board if they thought OEL could rebound:

- tough to say man. If his play over the last 2 years is any indication then it’s not looking good. Players sometimes find their groove after being traded, however

- Board was 30/70 I guess on him being able to turn it around, I'm in the 30% camp. I think getting away from Tocchet and Housley will do wonders for him and having him not be captain I think will lift the load he's been carrying and we've been terrible albeit but 2 years since he's been playing, so if you guys can be competitive hopefully he will turn it around. He's been one of my favorite players for a long time, so I'm hoping he returns to form.

- My perception is that OEL is kind of a sensitive guy, and thrives when the relationships around him are strong and he has lots of support and encouragement. He has lost a step and his shot isn’t as good as it used to be because of some injuries, but if the relationship with his coach is good, he has no leadership responsibility to worry about from wearing a letter, and good support around him, I think he’ll do just fine. Maybe not back to being an all star, but acceptable, consistent top 4 play

- That's because he's impressive. I think there is an excellent chance he gets closer to his former self. The coach did not like him and the feeling was mutual.

- Yes! Very good chance OEL rebounds!

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
OEL Schmidt
Hughes Myers
Rathbone Hamonic

I wonder if this is what they'll start with

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
OEL is still a 40-45 pt d

yep, his 'down year' still had him on a 40 point pace.

He's a legit scoring defenceman, put up two 20 goal campaigns as a defenceman and multiple 10+ goal seasons.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
This is basically another Benning special, except it's 7 x 6 instead of 6x6,

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
60% of his production last year came on the PP and there's no way he's playing there as a Canuck over Hughes.

If he touches 30 points in the minutes he'll get as a Canuck, that would be a hell of an accomplishment.

His even strength production over his career is not that great and getting worse. He averages about 1 pt more a year at ES more than Tyler Myers. It seems to be getting worse as well. Only 10 last year and averaged 22.9 per 82 the last 3 years. This is a player that had value because he could put up 20 points on the powerplay every year. He won't get that powerplay time here.

If he was at least an average-good defender. I wouldn't care so much about his production. But he's not. He's a 30 yo offensive dmen with underwhelming stats compared to what he is being paid.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
60% of his production last year came on the PP and there's no way he's playing there as a Canuck over Hughes.

If he touches 30 points in the minutes he'll get as a Canuck, that would be a hell of an accomplishment.

2nd unit? alongside rathbone? or schmidt

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I just wonder who plays the tough minutes for us. Who kills penalties? Who takes the D zone matchup ice time? We have Hughes, Rathbone, Schmidt, and OEL who are all PP puck moving types. Makes me think that Schmidt is still on his way out, idk. Still think the D needs some tweaking.

Anyway I obviously hope he finds new life here. As it stands this is a very risky acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad