Proposal: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Miller/Nam portion of the trade complicates it, but McD went for two top prospects plus 2 (late) firsts-ish.

Klefbom + 10 + Puju seems plenty fair to me, but would OEL resign?
It will never happen. The Coyotes are giving up an "A" asset, they aren't taking back "B" and "C" assets. It will take an "A" asset to start the conversation, the Oilers have 2 of them. OEL is worth more then every player on the Oilers except for McDavid. If the Oilers want OEL, it will take Drai and a young somewhat competent D (likely Klef). Would the Oilers trade Drai for Domi/Goligoski and next years 1st(top 9 protected)? That is similar to what the Oilers are giving up in the OP.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It will never happen. The Coyotes are giving up an "A" asset, they aren't taking back "B" and "C" assets. It will take an "A" asset to start the conversation, the Oilers have 2 of them. OEL is worth more then every player on the Oilers except for McDavid. If the Oilers want OEL, it will take Drai and a young somewhat competent D (likely Klef). Would the Oilers trade Drai for Domi/Goligoski and next years 1st(top 9 protected)? That is similar to what the Oilers are giving up in the OP.

That is a crazy overpay. Any other team, and I mean all 30 of them, wouldn't pay that for OEL. I want him on the Oilers but you're asking for the moon. Draisaitl wouldn't get traded for anything less than a Karlsson-type defenseman.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Edmonton should definitely make a reasonable pitch for OEL, but at the same time don't have the depth to be very flexible when offering multiple pieces for one or two. I think both sides overrate Domi, and from the Edmonton POV, I'd be happier with a Fisher, Perlini, or Dvorak over Domi if AZ wants to value Domi higher than them.

To me the thing is if Arizona was dealing OEL there is no need for them to add any of those nice young players. It would be OEL for what they can get, them adding young players on top of OEL would be silly

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
What did you expect him to say?

"No, I'm leaving y'all...its hot down here...too hot sometimes....I wanna be cold..like back home in Sweden."

FYI - JT has said he wants to stay in NYI ...guess what..hes still leaving.
Let's check back in July to see which fan-base is correct about OEL's future......

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That is a crazy overpay. Any other team, and I mean all 30 of them, wouldn't pay that for OEL. I want him on the Oilers but you're asking for the moon. Draisaitl wouldn't get traded for anything less than a Karlsson-type defenseman.
The Oilers have zero 1st pairing D and will never go anywhere without a 1D. It would take way more then Drai to get a Karlsson type of 1D.

Ryjo for Jones
Hall for Larrson

OEL is way better then Jones/Larrson, yet it took Hall/Ryjo to get it done. It would be Drai + a top 4D easily.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Ekman-Larsson would be fantastic on the Oilers. As much as he wants to stay, I don't think the Coyotes truly feel the same. Offense has always been OEL's bread and butter and he's regressed two years now. His play in his own end, while not horrible, is also not great. I don't see Arizona committing insane money over 6-8 years to a 45 point defeseman who lacks a top-end 200 foot game. OEL would thrive in a situation where he doesn't need to be the "franchise defenseman". I think he'd be great in Toronto, sharing the load with Morgan Rielly, or in Edmonton alongside Adam Larsson.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Oilers have zero 1st pairing D and will never go anywhere without a 1D. It would take way more then Drai to get a Karlsson type of 1D.

Ryjo for Jones
Hall for Larrson

OEL is way better then Jones/Larrson, yet it took Hall/Ryjo to get it done. It would be Drai + a top 4D easily.

In an Karlsson scenario, depending on the contract situation, most Oiler fans acknowledge Draisaitl goes the other way. Edmonton would probably have to add. The value of that add is where Ottawa fans and Edmonton fans differ. OEL is nowhere near Karlsson.

Hall for Larsson was a one off overpay. It won't be the bar where defenseman value is set. Most fans and pundits acknowledges this.

OEL is better than Seth Jones? That is certainly debateable. I personally don't think so. Draisaitl goes for a Seth Jones type (23, signed with term, legit #1), not OEL.

You are way over-valuing your guy and there is no chance he commands the return you're envisioning. Ask anyone who isn't a fan of Arizona. Maybe make a pole?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Ryjo for Jones
Hall for Larrson

Now??? Not at all.

And you can't ignore contracts. Anyone trading for OEL is going to be paying expensive UFA rates for him. Jones and Larsson were under long term team control at low money. It makes a huge huge huge difference in returns. I'm not an Oilers fan.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Ekman-Larsson would be fantastic on the Oilers. As much as he wants to stay, I don't think the Coyotes truly feel the same. Offense has always been OEL's bread and butter and he's regressed two years now. His play in his own end, while not horrible, is also not great. I don't see Arizona committing insane money over 6-8 years to a 45 point defeseman who lacks a top-end 200 foot game. OEL would thrive in a situation where he doesn't need to be the "franchise defenseman". I think he'd be great in Toronto, sharing the load with Morgan Rielly, or in Edmonton alongside Adam Larsson.

Or in Boston with McAvoy :)

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Then tune in for a Coyotes game. *shrug*
lets not pretend AZ is something its not. Now, thats not to diminish how well the team played the 2nd half of the year. Maybe there's finally something there. But its still an arena that is often supported by fans of the visiting team and its also a franchise thats hemorrhaging something like 25m a year since it joined the league

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
OEL isn't being traded for any of the packages discussed in any of these threads unless he refuses to sign after July 1st. He's more valuable to the Yotes than the pieces talked about in this thread. That's why none of us want any of the trades suggested. Not sure why so many people can't understand that. He'll go up for auction if he's not coming back. At that point you can argue over who's pieces are better. Until then the few of us that post on the Yotes board easily say no in all of these threads. A young #1D is greater than your collection of middle 6's, 2/3 D's and mid 1st round picks.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
You honestly think he's in the same tier as Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Pietro, Hedman?

I don’t know about every one of those guys, but he is every bit as good as Josi. Just plays on a far inferior team.

Just watched Josi in 7 games against the Jets and he was nothing to write home about.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In an Karlsson scenario, depending on the contract situation, most Oiler fans acknowledge Draisaitl goes the other way. Edmonton would probably have to add. The value of that add is where Ottawa fans and Edmonton fans differ. OEL is nowhere near Karlsson.

Hall for Larsson was a one off overpay. It won't be the bar where defenseman value is set. Most fans and pundits acknowledges this.

OEL is better than Seth Jones? That is certainly debateable. I personally don't think so. Draisaitl goes for a Seth Jones type (23, signed with term, legit #1), not OEL.

You are way over-valuing your guy and there is no chance he commands the return you're envisioning. Ask anyone who isn't a fan of Arizona. Maybe make a pole?
Hall for Larson was market value at the time, same as RYJO for Jones at the time.OEL is better then Jones now and was way better then him when he was traded for RYJO. I understand value very well, talk to me if OEL is traded. If he is traded, a 1D or 1C will be coming back +, not a 3/4D, winger and mid first pick.

This doesn't matter because the chances that he is signing in AZ are 80%+. If he is traded, it won't be to the Oilers because he would refuse to sign there.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What did you expect him to say?

"No, I'm leaving y'all...its hot down here...too hot sometimes....I wanna be cold..like back home in Sweden."

FYI - JT has said he wants to stay in NYI ...guess what..hes still leaving.

One simple difference: JT could sign an extension today, or last summer. He’s decided not to.

OEL can’t sign an extension for another 6 weeks.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Yes, Pronger is a HOFer. Nevertheless, the Oilers haven't had anything close to a 1D in the decade since, so Oilers HFers really have no business dismissing a Top 10-15 D like OEL as "not a 1D."
Yeah but to say “what would the Oilers know about have a #1 defenseman” implies nobody on HF Oilers was on these boards back then. Doesn’t matter how long ago it was.

And again, I’m not disputing how good OEL is. Just that statement about them not knowing anything about top defensemen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yes, Pronger is a HOFer. Nevertheless, the Oilers haven't had anything close to a 1D in the decade since, so Oilers HFers really have no business dismissing a Top 10-15 D like OEL as "not a 1D."
They gave up Hall to get a second pairing D in Larrson. They will be giving up Drai, or they can hope Klef/Nurse or somebody else in their system magically becomes a #1D. Until then, they won't get far in the playoffs. The Coyotes have the same problem in that they do not have a 1C but have a better shot at getting farther then the Oilers in the playoffs because they might have 3 2C's and a legit 1D. For the Coyotes to get a 1C, it will be painful.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah but to say “what would the Oilers know about have a #1 defenseman” implies nobody on HF Oilers was on these boards back then. Doesn’t matter how long ago it was.

If you want to interpret my apparently Rorschachian inkblot of a retort to an Oilers HFer dismissing OEL in that matter, more power to you. I didn't feel like adding a qualifier to my reply because frankly I thought it was unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad