Proposal: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
One trade doesn't always equal another trade being better or worse. Trades aren't made in a vacuum. Either way, the 10th overall pick is worth a lot more than the late first Arizona got from the Rangers for Yandle. Pool party is worth a lot more than Duclair was, and Klefbom is an already established second pairing D who has more value than a 2nd and a mid level prospect like Moore who was already going to his 3rd organization. Adding Domi changes the dynamic significantly but the other pieces involved are far more valuable than what went in the Yandle trade.

Given how Pool party has developed so far, I would say that his trade value isn't all that much higher compared to Duke's was at the time of the Yandle trade.

You're right, trades aren't made in a vacuum. But major trades that involve pieces like a 1D also really aren't made within a division.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Given how Pool party has developed so far, I would say that his trade value isn't all that much higher compared to Duke's was at the time of the Yandle trade.

You're right, trades aren't made in a vacuum. But major trades that involve pieces like a 1D also really aren't made within a division.
I'm not saying the trade as composed is perfect. I'm just saying I think from a pure value standpoint it's close. I agree with you that trading Domi makes little to no sense for Arizona because his value isn't super high right now. Perhaps something like Klefbom, 10th overall pick, Pool party for OEL and another half way decent piece besides Domi would be more realistic.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not saying the trade as composed is perfect. I'm just saying I think from a pure value standpoint it's close. I agree with you that trading Domi makes little to no sense for Arizona because his value isn't super high right now. Perhaps something like Klefbom, 10th overall pick, Pool party for OEL and another half way decent piece besides Domi would be more realistic.
You won't get a top 15 1D like OEL for a second pairing D, pool party, and the 10th pick in the draft. If anyone trades for OEL, it will sting. Drai and Klef might get it done, but OEL would never sign in Edmonton, so its a moot point anyway.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Arizona would be extremely lucky to bring in a haul like Klefbom, Pool party, and the 10th overall for OEL. You do realize he only has one year remaining on his contract? You are seriously overrating him and/or underrating the pieces coming back if you don't think that isn't excellent value for him. You'd be giving up a top pairing D with one year left on his deal for a younger second pairing D locked up for several years, a 21 year old forward with incredible upside, and a top 10 pick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona would be extremely lucky to bring in a haul like Klefbom, Pool party, and the 10th overall for OEL. You do realize he only has one year remaining on his contract? You are seriously overrating him if you don't think that wouldn't be excellent value for him.

It's not enough to trade him up north and see him play with McDavid and Draisaitl 4-5 times a year against us.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's not enough to trade him up north and see him play with McDavid and Draisaitl 4-5 times a year against us.
Maybe, but as I continue to stress I am simply talking about value:

First paring D with one year left on his deal
FOR
Second pairing D who is two years younger and locked up for several years
21 year old forward with elite level upside
Top 10 pick

That's a lot of value going the other way.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe, but as I continue to stress I am simply talking about value:

First paring D with one year left on his deal
FOR
Second pairing D who is two years younger and locked up for several years
21 year old forward with elite level upside
Top 10 pick

That's a lot of value going the other way.
OEL would have to agree to an extension before the trade. A signed OEL is worth way more then that package of scraps. Don’t worry, he won’t agree to sign in Edmonton anyway.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Arizona would be extremely lucky to bring in a haul like Klefbom, Pool party, and the 10th overall for OEL. You do realize he only has one year remaining on his contract? You are seriously overrating him and/or underrating the pieces coming back if you don't think that isn't excellent value for him. You'd be giving up a top pairing D with one year left on his deal for a younger second pairing D locked up for several years, a 21 year old forward with incredible upside, and a top 10 pick.
I think AZ fans are just annoyed these threads keep popping up when every indication from OEL and the team is a long term extension will be signed on July 1st. Then we get lectured about how overrated OEL is and then reminded (like we aren’t aware) that OEL is set to be a UFA in 1 year and we could lose him for nothing! We know. We aren’t worried.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Not by much. You're vastly underwhelming the value of a #1D in his prime signed long term. Take out
Domi/Strome altogether and make it a 3rd and you might have something

OEL isn't signed long term though
(even if in the OP it says he agrees to a verbal agreement. It's verbal. That doesn't count for much).

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
(even if in the OP it says he agrees to a verbal agreement. It's verbal. That doesn't count for much).
Signed or not he is a very good player but he isn't Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty etc although some people act like he is. That's my big take away when there is a guy calling Klefbom, pool party and the 10th overall pick for him scraps.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So Klefbom, Pool party, and a top 10 pick is "scraps?" Tells me all I need to know about you.
For OEL, yes. You gave up Hall (top 15 wing) to get Larson (2nd pairing D) if that tells you anything about value. You will have to give up a 1D or 1C as the main part of the package. You don't have a 1D or a 2D and McDavid won't be traded. Drai would be coming back plus Klef to start (I know it hurts).

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If his agent and OEL have a verbal agreement, they won't back out of it. They won't though because he doesn't want to live in Edmonton. If he doesn't want to be a Coyote, he can pick his new location.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Love the player but unless he signed a sweetheart of a deal, I would not give up that asking price for OEL.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
For OEL, yes. You gave up Hall (top 15 wing) to get Larson (2nd pairing D) if that tells you anything about value.
"You?"

Right there is your big flaw assuming I'm an Oilers fan because I am not. I am a completely objective observer. Edmonton severely overpaying for Larsson has zero impact on any potential trade for OEL and using it as a basis for comparison is silly.

If you think that Klefbom, Pool party, and the 10th overall pick isn't a big time package of assets then I have to seriously question your knowledge of hockey and/or you are just the typical poster around here who significantly over values your team's players.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Edmonton should definitely make a reasonable pitch for OEL, but at the same time don't have the depth to be very flexible when offering multiple pieces for one or two. I think both sides overrate Domi, and from the Edmonton POV, I'd be happier with a Fisher, Perlini, or Dvorak over Domi if AZ wants to value Domi higher than them.

ScottyPrime

May 13, 2018
Dougie Hamilton, who is a highly comparable defenceman in most regards, save that he's bigger, two years younger, and a right shot, was traded 2 seasons ago (when he was already putting up similar number to OEL) for a first and two seconds. Not even particularly high ones. And now we have posters claiming to be "reasonable" suggesting OEL would be worth Draisaitl + Klefbom, and that two recent top 10 picks plus Klefbom are scraps.

Quit the pipe-dreaming. I agree OEL has a good chance to stay in Arizona, but if he doesn't the return will be considerably weaker than either of the hypothetical one's listed above.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
OEL is a much more consistent player and is better than Dougie Hamilton. That said I completely with your main point, OK, JP, and 10th overall is quite a haul.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You won't get a top 15 1D like OEL for a second pairing D, pool party, and the 10th pick in the draft. If anyone trades for OEL, it will sting. Drai and Klef might get it done, but OEL would never sign in Edmonton, so its a moot point anyway.
Totally outside observer here, you are highly over rating OEL's value.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For OEL, yes. You gave up Hall (top 15 wing) to get Larson (2nd pairing D) if that tells you anything about value. You will have to give up a 1D or 1C as the main part of the package. You don't have a 1D or a 2D and McDavid won't be traded. Drai would be coming back plus Klef to start (I know it hurts).

The Hall trade was dumb. The return (if it ever happened) would not be Drai + Klefbom or equivalent. If would be far more comparible to the McD return.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Dougie Hamilton, who is a highly comparable defenceman in most regards, save that he's bigger, two years younger, and a right shot, was traded 2 seasons ago (when he was already putting up similar number to OEL) for a first and two seconds. Not even particularly high ones. And now we have posters claiming to be "reasonable" suggesting OEL would be worth Draisaitl + Klefbom, and that two recent top 10 picks plus Klefbom are scraps.

Quit the pipe-dreaming. I agree OEL has a good chance to stay in Arizona, but if he doesn't the return will be considerably weaker than either of the hypothetical one's listed above.

Hamilton is just as bad as a comparison as Hall/Larsson. Hamilton was traded under duress because an offer sheet was incoming. Bruins got SLIGHTLY better than offersheet value and got the picks a year early. It was not a deal they wanted to make and it was rushed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Miller/Nam portion of the trade complicates it, but McD went for two top prospects plus 2 (late) firsts-ish.

Klefbom + 10 + Puju seems plenty fair to me, but would OEL resign?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
By my count, none of the OEL to Edmonton threads in the last 5 years have been started by Coyotes fans. And there's probably been over 100. After July 1st, I hope these threads finally come to an end.

With OEL set to sign long term and 3 years left on Goligoski's contract, why not target Jakob Chychrun? Coyotes have other LHD coming through the pipeline, so a strong offer for Chychrun might be able to pry him loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad