Confirmed with Link: Oliver Bjorkstrand to Seattle for 2023 3rd and 2023 4th

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We need another year to be sure of this but I agree. The D just looked disorganize and lost as a pair even while playing fairly well as individuals. A sure sign of systems failure.

Hopefully the changes made in systems in the last few games continue and we dont see that pre-deadline garbage ever again. It didn’t work.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
This was a great pickup for multiple reasons. I love forwards who play good defense, and in this case the player is someone we all got to see a lot of in junior. Talent on the wings is greatly improved, feels good man.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Absolute steal for the Kraken, smart of Francis to take advantage of this deal. I'm surprised CBJ didn't try to move Nyquist before Bjorkstrand (or if they did and that there were no takers).

Reactions: MoeBartoli

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Absolute steal for the Kraken, smart of Francis to take advantage of this deal. I'm surprised CBJ didn't try to move Nyquist before Bjorkstrand (or if they did and that there were no takers).

Would had cost CBJ a draft pick to move Nyquist and it more than likely would been a first rounder.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Would had cost CBJ a draft pick to move Nyquist and it more than likely would been a first rounder.
I dunno mate, he still produces at a 40-50 point pace for the last few seasons and only has one year left on his deal. I feel like a couple of late draft picks would've been enough.

Bjorkstrand is definitely better than Nyquist, but if Seattle gave a 5th and a 7th for Nyquist, wouldn't be a bad acquisition for the top 9

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I dunno mate, he still produces at a 40-50 point pace for the last few seasons and only has one year left on his deal. I feel like a couple of late draft picks would've been enough.

Bjorkstrand is definitely better than Nyquist, but if Seattle gave a 5th and a 7th for Nyquist, wouldn't be a bad acquisition for the top 9

Salary dumps can be costly. Flames had to give up a first to montreal to move a player so they can afford Kadri.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Salary dumps can be costly. Flames had to give up a first to montreal to move a player so they can afford Kadri.
Valid point, but guys like Monahan aren't even capable of playing in the top 6 anymore and are recovering from major health issues, Nyquist can still produce

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Valid point, but guys like Monahan aren't even capable of playing in the top 6 anymore and are recovering from major health issues, Nyquist can still produce

if CBJ was insisting Nyquist and only him to us and no one else yeas we probably had the leverage to get probably a first out of it.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is still a mystery on the Jackets board. We don't know if they tried to move Nyquist first. They weren't over the cap by that much on a 22 man roster either, only a couple million. So it's a baffler.

Nyquist is a multi-role player that just put up 53 points. Monahan is possibly too dinged up to make a 4th line.

I think Jarmo might just be an idiot.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
He was my son's favorite Winterhawk during those years, so he's even more stoked than I am.

The downside is he wants Oliver's authentic jersey for an upcoming birthday now. :laugh:
I plan to make it happen, where do you guys suggest I shop for a quality authentic that will be well sewn...just NHLshop?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He was my son's favorite Winterhawk during those years, so he's even more stoked than I am.

The downside is he wants Oliver's authentic jersey for an upcoming birthday now. :laugh:
I plan to make it happen, where do you guys suggest I shop for a quality authentic that will be well sewn...just NHLshop?

Hockey Authentic is the place to go. Team store or NHL own online store doesn't do sewn just heat press.

Reactions: sigma six

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
#22 was his father, Todd's, number back in the days when he controlled the Danish league winning seven Danish Championships on his way to becoming the all-time leading topscorer (by far).

Todd was an American coming to Denmark after being very close to making the NHL. I dare say that if there were 32 teams back then he would have been a 1000 games player in the NHL. He was a scoring machine on the level just below NHL and had he cracked the line-up somewhere he would have kept on sailing in the top-2 lines of whatever club for years and years.

But it was harder to get in to the league and the playing style was more rugged back then, so he left for Europe pretty early.

More or less by coincedence he landed in Denmark with Herning and found a girlfriend there so he just stayed put for 14 years as a player and became the coach of the club winning another 3-4 championships that way as well.

A very demanding coach with a heated temper, but very knowledgeable and tactically sound.

My guess is Oliver picked #22 to honour his dad. #22 is the only retired number in Herning as far as I remember. Probably will retire #18 (Daniel Nielsen) soon as well, I would assume, since he retired in the spring being the all-time scoring leader among defensemen in Denmark and the player with most games in the Danish league ever.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
#22 was his father, Todd's, number back in the days when he controlled the Danish league winning seven Danish Championships on his way to becoming the all-time leading topscorer (by far).

Todd was an American coming to Denmark after being very close to making the NHL. I dare say that if there were 32 teams back then he would have been a 1000 games player in the NHL. He was a scoring machine on the level just below NHL and had he cracked the line-up somewhere he would have kept on sailing in the top-2 lines of whatever club for years and years.

But it was harder to get in to the league and the playing style was more rugged back then, so he left for Europe pretty early.

More or less by coincedence he landed in Denmark with Herning and found a girlfriend there so he just stayed put for 14 years as a player and became the coach of the club winning another 3-4 championships that way as well.

A very demanding coach with a heated temper, but very knowledgeable and tactically sound.

My guess is Oliver picked #22 to honour his dad. #22 is the only retired number in Herning as far as I remember. Probably will retire #18 (Daniel Nielsen) soon as well, I would assume, since he retired in the spring being the all-time scoring leader among defensemen in Denmark and the player with most games in the Danish league ever.

Major thanks for this. Great info that I doubt most of us would have been able to obtain for ourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00