Confirmed with Link: Oliver Bjorkstrand to Seattle for 2023 3rd and 2023 4th

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I keep seeing a lot of Beniers on the top line and Wright the 3rd. Wright was considered the higher end prospect and is just over a year younger than Beniers. Beniers does have the 10 game sample to go off while Wright had a good but nor great season so I can see the argument. But Wright isn't that far behind, I would have him as the 2C. Of course you don't want to force these kids into situations they aren't ready for but I think Wright is ready.

McCann - Beniers - Bjorkstrand
Gourde - Wright - Burakovsky
Schwartz - Wennberg - Eberle
Tanev - Geekie - Kuhlman
Lind/Donskoi

Make the top 6 the guys you expect to be there awhile carrying the load. The 3rd line is your vets who can be thrown out to shelter the kids if needed. I know Eberle isn't 3rd line type but he's not gonna be there long term and he made some strides defensively late in the year. Burakovsky and Bjorkstrand can swap lines if they have better chemistry with the other C. Gourde should be stapled to Wright to help ease him into the league and help him become a better center.
Over time, yes. We will have Wright-Beniers down the middle as 1A - 1B. But for this season, I think expecting Wright to be a 2C right at the start would be a little too optimistic. I would be thrilled if he plays like Beniers right out of the gate but I feel its better to temper expectations than be disappointed.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Over time, yes. We will have Wright-Beniers down the middle as 1A - 1B. But for this season, I think expecting Wright to be a 2C right at the start would be a little too optimistic. I would be thrilled if he plays like Beniers right out of the gate but I feel its better to temper expectations than be disappointed.

I think a lot of people are putting too high expectations on Beniers. If he puts up 20 - 30 - 50 people will think that's a disappointment but for a 19/20 year old that's not bad. Expecting 25 - 45 - 70 might be too high right away. He probably does something in the middle which is good. Wright I think can be the 20 - 30 - 50 which for a 2C is pretty close to in line. I just feel Beniers is being a bit overhyped and Wright under.

Reactions: Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Weaponized cap space FOR THE WIN!

For the win baby!!!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
Wow....I'm in awe of this. We've been waiting for GMRF to pull the trigger on a deal with those extra picks.

A fantastic player to snag and at a rockbottom price of assets going out. Never thought we'd pull off this kind of lopsided trade.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He had a 10 team no trade list, which I'm sure included most or all of the rest of the teams that actually have the cap space for him. Its possible he actually picked the exact team to go to.

I think his trade list would have been filed July 1st ish (not sure if it changed due to the shifted UFA period) so I would be curious to see how players strategized those lists based on their knowledge prior to UFA period unfolding. Probably mostly about ensuring you don't go to places that suck to live/are disaster franchises than about their cap considerations.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No superstars (right now) but this team has what it needs now to make the playoffs next season. Just hoping Gru can be league average and Hakstol does more what he did over the last 10 games.
The defense isn't good enough, unless Gru stands on his head it's not gonna be close.

Actually, I'm very surprised another team didn't easily beat that offer. Not complaining, though.
Kinda guessing that CBJ wanted to trade out of conference. It would've looked pretty dumb to lose the wildcard spot to the team you traded B-strand to.

Probably mostly about ensuring you don't go to places that suck to live/are disaster franchises than about their cap considerations.
Apparently tax is on the top list of consideration, fortunately WA has no income tax. CA income tax over $1M is 13.3%. That's a serious pay cut.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The defense isn't good enough, unless Gru stands on his head it's not gonna be close.

This really is a coaching issue.

The defensmen on this team are far above league average on the defensive side of the puck. They lack offense from the backend, but that should not have any effect on how Grubauer has to play.

It was the forwards almost universally missing assignments that plagued the goaltending last season.

One D would be battling for the puck in the corner, and the second D would always be outnumbered in front of the net.

The forwards missing assignments, chasing the puck, puck watching, and not closing passing lanes is on the coaching staff, and I think that should be somewhat fixable given the personnel on the roster.

I say that, but I have doubts this staff can mold this team into a solid defensive unit after what I saw last year, but I think a good coach absolutely could.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

The defensmen on this team are far above league average on the defensive side of the puck. They lack offense from the backend, but that should not have any effect on how Grubauer has to play.

It was the forwards almost universally missing assignments that plagued the goaltending last season.

One D would be battling for the puck in the corner, and the second D would always be outnumbered in front of the net.

The forwards missing assignments, chasing the puck, puck watching, and not closing passing lanes is on the coaching staff, and I think that should be somewhat fixable given the personnel on the roster.

I say that, but I have doubts this staff can mold this team into a solid defensive unit after what I saw last year, but I think a good coach absolutely could.
Agree, for the most part it was the odd man breaks, but there were also quite a few brain farts both defensively and with the puck.

I found it odd though because Hakstol was supposed to be a low event coach. He's very high event, unfortunately for the other team.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
For sure. I do really like that pretty much all of our forwards are 5.5M AAV and below. No superstars (right now) but this team has what it needs now to make the playoffs next season. Just hoping Gru can be league average and Hakstol does more what he did over the last 10 games.

After watching Gru in Colorado I think last year was just a perfectly bad storm for him. I don't think he is winning the Vezina but he definitely has the ability to be mid pack even if the team in front of him is still putting the pieces together.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

We need another year to be sure of this but I agree. The D just looked disorganize and lost as a pair even while playing fairly well as individuals. A sure sign of systems failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad