Confirmed with Link: Oleksiak To Dallas for a 4th

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Now if he could just find a way to get rid of JJ, I feel like we'd have an above average defensive corps.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Uh. No, he just sucks.

Convincing argument, you've helped me see the light :sarcasm:

I'm not going to bother defending Oleksiak here, seeing how I don't think he's anything special and isn't good enough to warrant defending. I just think JR could have done better for a cost controlled, fine bottom pair defenseman than a 4th rounder, and the hate he gets here is way overblown for reasons I'm guessing are associated with Oleksiak's fighting.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That he was traded is not surprising, the return is not surprising, but the trade partner certainly is.

Rig was the logical candidate to go with the logjam on D about to get even worse with Schultz returning. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Maatta go, but only if in that or a parallel deal a replacement, a la Muzzin or Martinez, come back the other way. Otherwise you run:

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Schultz
Pettersson JMFJ
Riikola Ruhwedel

and call it a playoff roster. I'd be comfortable with moving Maatta even if the replacement D is only a rental, given that both Riikola and Pettersson should be everyday starters next season. As is though they are too green to rely on both for the playoffs, especially if one has to get forced into the top 4.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I'm not going to bother defending Oleksiak here, seeing how I don't think he's anything special and isn't good enough to warrant defending. I just think JR could have done better for a cost controlled, fine bottom pair defenseman than a 4th rounder, and the hate he gets here is way overblown for reasons I'm guessing are associated with Oleksiak's fighting.

I personally liked Big Rig, but on this defense he wasn't a fit with JJ and Maatta lumbering around. He was the easiest to move (see JJ) without subtracting something you want to keep (see Maatta) so he was expendable. I could see him being worth more than a 4th in the offseason when you aren't trying to quickly open up cap space for a move, but under the circumstances, this is a good trade.

Reactions: Riptide and Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Barring something unforeseen like a trade for a top pairing level stud, I think we got our 8 guys for the playoffs set imo. I’d love to acquire Muzzin, just don’t see it happening though.

Anyone else think that (right or wrong) this might further encourage JR to be aggressive for Ferland or another “tough” type to answer T.Wilson? Idk for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Barring something unforeseen like a trade for a top pairing level stud, I think we got our 8 guys for the playoffs set imo. I’d love to acquire Muzzin, just don’t see it happening though.

Anyone else think that (right or wrong) this might further encourage JR to be aggressive for Ferland or another “tough” type to answer T.Wilson? Idk for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Pens will trade for big bad Buf and he will destroy Tom Wilson. :sarcasm:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s because he’s a mess defensively and our GM gave him a three year contract.

Reactions: Riptide

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Thank god. He had to go. He had some guys that jumped in front of him and for his $ he had to go. Wasn’t worth paying an 8D that kind of $.

Get Schultz back playing well, get rid of Brassard and get a 3C that’s a good fit and a LW for Malkin and we should be good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I personally liked Big Rig, but on this defense he wasn't a fit with JJ and Maatta lumbering around. He was the easiest to move (see JJ) without subtracting something you want to keep (see Maatta) so he was expendable. I could see him being worth more than a 4th in the offseason when you aren't trying to quickly open up cap space for a move, but under the circumstances, this is a good trade.

Yeah, I completely get why he was traded and it's not like he was massively undersold (I think you could have gotten a similar return to what Petrovic brought back about a month ago). I just think JR could have done better than what he got, and since he got kinda poor value, I hope he uses that cap space ASAP. I'm fine with the trade if it means that they have something else lined up really soon, but I think it's a mediocre return by itself.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, I love how our GM spends assets on players that won’t work in our system then has to solve that issue he created.

You are right. We need to hire a GM who never makes any mistakes, therefore doesn't need to correct them. Just one small problem - there aren't any such people.

Reactions: Trade

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Cost control is only a good thing if the cost is good.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Oleksiak was as advertised. He has a good tool set and you can see why he was a 1st rounder but his hockey IQ is an issue. That's pretty much what people said about him when we got him.

Definitely feels weird that he went back to Dallas though. I'm guessing the GM liked him but moved him last year because the coach didn't like him. Now the coach is different and the GM wants this player back.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Maatta is still here? Oleksiak has more up side. I was expecting big things this year from the rig but he wasn't used properly here. I'm sure he will flourish elsewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't agree with him being vanilla. His strengths are solid and his flaws are glaring. Ruhwedal is vanilla.

See, outside of his deefense (bad) and toughness (good), I don't really view anything as something that stands out about him. Maybe he's vanilla with a slightly added flavor, but he's still very vanilla. I don't think his problems were nearly as bad as what other people here think, but I also don't think Oleksiak had many unique traits that separated him from someone like Ruhwedel.

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, but I do find it interesting how polar the views are on Oleksiak here vs somewhere like Twitter or r/penguins. People elsewhere are pissed about this deal. Then again, basically everyone elsewhere is saying that Oleksiak is clearly better than Johnson, so maybe we shouldn't take their opinions too seriously :laugh:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
See, outside of his deefense (bad) and toughness (good), I don't really view anything as something that stands out about him. Maybe he's vanilla with a slightly added flavor, but he's still very vanilla. I don't think his problems were nearly as bad as what other people here think, but I also don't think Oleksiak had many unique traits that separated him from someone like Ruhwedel.

His passing was standout bad, his ability skate the puck up ice and shot were standout good. I'm not sure what else there's to be good or bad once you've accounted for his passing, defence, shooting, skating with the puck on his stick and toughness.

I'm with Ogre here. Oleksiak was about as vanilla as a nun with a Fetlife account.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His passing was standout bad, his ability skate the puck up ice and shot were standout good. I'm not sure what else there's to be good or bad once you've accounted for his passing, defence, shooting, skating with the puck on his stick and toughness.

I'm with Ogre here. Oleksiak was about as vanilla as a nun with a Fetlife account.

I didn't see either of the passing or skating with the puck to be true whenever he was with the Penguins, his shot was the only other unique thing about him. I thought his puck moving was fine and he wasn't a particularly great rusher with the puck.

See, when McCurdy's charts are basically showing me the same thing I expected (that Oleksiak is super average), I just disagree with the opinions here. I thought he was way too irrelevant for anyone to think he was great or terrible, he didn't do anything that stood out to me outside of stupid play in the defensive zone and an occasional fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad