Confirmed with Link: Oleksiak To Dallas for a 4th

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I wouldn't say biggest.

The biggest actually is to find Geno a LW who's a Hags with better hands.

We can survive with a below par 3C. We can survive with Maatta-Schultz for a 2nd pairing. We're ****** without the Geno we've had for the last 3 years.

I wouldn’t mind just getting Hagelin back. Geno played better with him. Go with

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-Brassard-Rust
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Simon
Sheahan benched most nights

All you need is a great forechecking forward when you have Malkin and Kessel providing the offense. Hagelin is one of the best at what he does. Yes he doesn’t have the finishing skills but his skating made that line better. Malkin has been underperforming since he left. We could probably get him cheap.

Reactions: td_ice

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Surprised that many disliked Big rig, I thought he brought a physical element we could use. I would have taken him over Matta, am I nuts?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn’t mind just getting Hagelin back. Geno played better with him. Go with

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-Brassard-Rust
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Simon
Sheahan benched most nights

All you need is a great forechecking forward when you have Malkin and Kessel providing the offense. Hagelin is one of the best at what he does. Yes he doesn’t have the finishing skills but his skating made that line better. Malkin has been underperforming since he left. We could probably get him cheap.

Rules of retention don’t allow a player to come back for a year or if the contract expires/terminated.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Surprised that many disliked Big rig, I thought he brought a physical element we could use. I would have taken him over Matta, am I nuts?

He’s not very smart and was #8 on our depth chart. He’s a bottom pair D man that really needs the right partner which we can’t give him plus our game style needs to get away from too many low IQ players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Leafs get Muzzin and we uhhh send Oleksiak back to Dallas for a worthless draft pick.

Bad day

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Mine was on purpose for the record! :laugh: I just can't stand those guys. On Sirius today they said "which division is the best?" And 2 straight callers talked about the big teams of the central. I about died. "When you go into (insert town here), you know you are coming back bruised!" Get out of here with that laughable analysis.

Who won the Cup the last 3 years? Who just won the all-star game (doesn't matter)? The Metro is the best.

Washington did last year, and they were/are one of the most physical teams. But don't let that stop your crusade for softness though...

Reactions: Pens17

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Washington did last year, and they were/are one of the most physical teams. But don't let that stop your crusade for softness though...

Oh :biglaugh: :biglaugh: You have zero to stand on, bud. You sat here and threw hissy fits in the Bylsma era and said that toughness would bring us a title. We all claimed skill/speed would.

I can't believe you would even act like you weren't laughably wrong.

Reactions: td_ice

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Oh :biglaugh: :biglaugh: You have zero to stand on, bud. You sat here and threw hissy fits in the Bylsma era and said that toughness would bring us a title. We all claimed skill/speed would.

I can't believe you would even act like you weren't laughably wrong.

Yeah, whatever gets you through the day. Even average goaltending or defense would have got us a Cup when we had that toughness, and all time great goaltending got us our 2nd, not skill or speed.

And you were the one throwing hissy fits. You still have flashbacks of that Philly series don't you?

Reactions: Pens17

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Ive seen less games than usual this year. Mainly due to work and Malkin being bad for a longer stretch.

What I do have caught though is that Oleksiak was imo not the main problem. Sure im glad hes gone, but I would much rather have Maatta or(/and!) JJ traded.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Someone was going to go. I didn't expect us to trade a defenseman for a mid-round pick though. I thought a defenseman would be a part of a bigger deal.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Someone was going to go. I didn't expect us to trade a defenseman for a mid-round pick though. I thought a defenseman would be a part of a bigger deal.

Bigger deals become more complex. JR wants to be able to do a deal if it’s there than trying to create cap space before he can make the deal.

Oleksiak probably worth a 3rd so not far off but doing it now gives him more flexibility.

Reactions: Andy99

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
If you actually break down the stats, Ruhwedel's a better extra D-Man to have than what Rig brought.
Rig was simply a big dumb lug with a booming shot.
Soft as butter.
This. The fallacy that size means physicality bewilders me. Its all around the city. Yinzers are pissed we traded our most "physical" player. Nobody cares about filling out a deep lineup with skill and speed, they just want an entire team full of Reaves, ZARs, and Oleksiaks so we can finally take out Tom Wilson :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Most people I've seen mad about this trade are mad that they got a crappy return for what they viewed to be a solid, physical defenseman, and that they traded Oleksiak when he was better than Johnson. Whether you want to criticize either of those points is up to you, but I don't think that their views are dead wrong. This isn't about "wanting a team full of Reaves, ZAR's and Oleksiaks" (which is a gross strawman argument), there are fair reasons why people are mad about this trade. "Fair" doesn't technically mean "correct", though.

This team does have a big problem with physicality, but that problem with physicality comes from winning board battles, forechecking and retrieving pucks, going to the dirty areas and clearing the crease. Oleksiak didn't provide those things, he was just tough. I don't know if it is the biggest problem on this team, but this team desperately lacks physicality. They have too many of the same kind of player both at forward and on defense.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If you actually break down the stats, Ruhwedel's a better extra D-Man to have than what Rig brought.
Rig was simply a big dumb lug with a booming shot.
Soft as butter.

Are you talking about this season because Ruhwedel has been horrible. Wouldn’t want him even as a #7 (or even #8) based on this season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with Hagelin is he's become an offensive black hole. I'd like him back in the offseason as a free agent if the price is right because he can still motor and PK but you almost gotta make Sullivan promise that he won't play him with Geno. Guy's on a 16 point pace averaging 15 minutes per game. That's bad production even for a 4th liner playing 10 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad