Confirmed with Link: Oleksiak To Dallas for a 4th

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem with Hagelin is he's become an offensive black hole. I'd like him back in the offseason as a free agent if the price is right because he can still motor and PK but you almost gotta make Sullivan promise that he won't play him with Geno. Guy's on a 16 point pace averaging 15 minutes per game. That's bad production even for a 4th liner playing 10 minutes a night.

And Geno's line is generating a whole goal less p/60 than they did with the offensive black hole there.

Which is why I'm the opposite. I'd only want him back here if Sully promised to play him with Geno. Why would you bring back the man who's been Geno's best linemate if not to play with him?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If you're looking at their entire Penguins tenure, Oleksiak has been way better than Ruhwedel has been though.

Naw.

91812a4259a9783feef0726757e2b10d.png

Like i said, only thing Rig had on Ruh is his booming shot + he could use his reach better. Ruh used his speed and had a much better iq passing wise from his own end.

Ruh was playing crappy when he went out this season.
Definitely deserved to sit but when he's playing well, he helps PIT more in the areas they suck at.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't know what you just linked, the picture isn't showing up. If you linked their SKATR chart, Oleksiak was at a 60 in both this year and last year for the Penguins. Ruhwedel was at a 66 last year and is at a 15 this year. Since Oleksiak came to the Penguins, he's been way better than Ruhwedel has been.

The only way Ruhwedel fits more as a depth D is his salary, he's not a better player than Oleksiak is.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't know what you just linked, the picture isn't showing up. If you linked their SKATR chart, Oleksiak was at a 60 in both this year and last year for the Penguins. Ruhwedel was at a 66 last year and is at a 15 this year. Since Oleksiak came to the Penguins, he's been way better than Ruhwedel has been.

Your sample size is too short.
Get my image working.
Ruh is a better fit extra D-Man for what this team needs than Rig was.
Rig was dumb and couldn't pass the puck out of his own zone to save his life.
They've won Cups with Ruh filling in.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your sample size is too short.

How is the sample too short when we're looking at how each performed when both were in Pittsburgh? Based on those charts, Oleksiak was solid both this year and last year for the Penguins. Ruhwedel has been a nightmare in a small sample size for the Penguins this year, and he was equal to Oleksiak's average with the Penguins last year. Unless you want to go all the way back to 2016-2017, which shouldn't matter at this point, Ruhwedel has been worse than Oleksiak was for the Penguins.

Ruhwedel in the last 2 years with the Penguins has 5 points in 55 games with being a -16 and a negative possession player with easy minutes (very low TOI with more offensive zone starts). Oleksiak in 2 years with the Penguins had 25 points in 83 games with a +18 and negative possession stats with slightly difficult usage. Ruhwedel really isn't anything special, it's a really hot take to say that he's better than Oleksiak.

They've won Cups with Ruh filling in.

Uh okay? That doesn't make Ruhwedel better than Oleksiak, unless you seriously think that Kunitz is a better top-6 winger than Pearson is because Kunitz was here for the cup run.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
How is the sample too short when we're looking at how each performed when both were in Pittsburgh? Based on those charts, Oleksiak was solid both this year and last year for the Penguins. Ruhwedel has been a nightmare in a small sample size for the Penguins this year, and he was equal to Oleksiak's average with the Penguins last year. Unless you want to go all the way back to 2016-2017, which shouldn't matter at this point, Ruhwedel has been worse than Oleksiak was for the Penguins.

Uh okay? That doesn't make Ruhwedel better than Oleksiak, unless you seriously think that Kunitz is a better top-6 winger than Pearson is because Kunitz was here for the cup run.

Rig was good with Cole.
He sucked with everyone else.
He also couldn't pk worth a lick.
Ruh was better in the role given with more partners.

Here's the thing, tho.
Rig was deployed to make up for the Cole absence when he left.
He sucked for that role.
Ruh was deployed to be the Tang/Schultz of the bottom D.
He did well in that role.
Also have to factor in price tags.

Ultimately it doesn't matter cuz JR handcuffed himself with the JJ deal and 2 of Olli, Rig, JJ have to go to re-vamp this D after MP was brought on.
Ruh, i don't care where he ends up. Just like Rig.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rig was good with Cole.
He sucked with everyone else.
He also couldn't pk worth a lick.
Ruh was better in the role given with more partners.

Here's the thing, tho.
Rig was deployed to make up for the Cole absence when he left.
He sucked for that role.
Ruh was deployed to be the Tang/Schultz of the bottom D.
He did well in that role.

You're just making claims without any backup here. And why does Oleksiak's time playing really well with Cole not count? And why does Oleksiak's really good start to this season not count? And why can you say "Oleksiak couldn't PK worth a lick" when Ruhwedel hasn't killed penalties for the Penguins? This just sounds like pure revisionist talk without any basis to back it up.

Try arguing this on literally any site but here, you'd be getting grilled for this opinion. This site is the only Penguins affiliated site that craps on Oleksiak like it does. Oleksiak was way better offensively, was way more effective at not getting scored on and played more and tougher minutes. The only area that Ruhwedel beats Oleksiak is in possession stats, and if you think possession stats outweigh production, usage and goal differential, I don't know what to tell you.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You're just making claims without any backup here. And why does Oleksiak's time playing really well with Cole not count? And why does Oleksiak's really good start to this season not count? And why can you say "Oleksiak couldn't PK worth a lick" when Ruhwedel hasn't killed penalties for the Penguins? This just sounds like pure revisionist talk without any basis to back it up.

Try arguing this on literally any site but here, you'd be getting grilled for this opinion. This site is the only Penguins affiliated site that craps on Oleksiak like it does. Oleksiak was way better offensively, was way more effective at not getting scored on and played more and tougher minutes. The only area that Ruhwedel beats Oleksiak is in possession stats, and if you think possession stats outweigh production, usage and goal differential, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh you mean the thing that actually makes this team a contender? That possession thing?
Rig's a dumb big ol' lug. Just like he was in DAL

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh you mean the thing that actually makes this team a contender? That possession thing?
Rig's a dumb big ol' lug. Just like he was in DAL

Oh yeah, Carolina is really contending this year :laugh:

This discussion is putting on full display the problems with advanced stats. People take them as gospel and make arguments based solely on them, they're not nearly developed enough to do that. These aren't baseball advanced stats. A guy who gets scored on way more and produces way less isn't a better player because his possession stats are better. What makes it worse is that Oleksiak's charts are actually GOOD, yet you still see people saying he's terrible. Literally nothing agrees with the opinions that Oleksiak is bad, yet you have a ton of people on here screaming that he's a horrible player.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

This discussion is putting on full display the problems with advanced stats. People take them as gospel and make arguments based solely on them, they're not nearly developed enough to do that. These aren't baseball advanced stats. A guy who gets scored on way more and produces way less isn't a better player because his possession stats are better. What makes it worse is that Oleksiak's charts are actually GOOD, yet you still see people saying he's terrible. Literally nothing agrees with the opinions that Oleksiak is bad, yet you have a ton of people on here screaming that he's a horrible player.

Funny thing is it's the eye test that sinks Rig not his numbers..
The reality is if you watch him, you wish they'd play him up front cuz he's a big ol' dumb soft lug with the puck on his stick in his own zone.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

He is terrible. Advanced metrics be damned, the eye test confirms for me that he's absolute garbage defensively and has no hockey IQ.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well for one there is the contract given to Jaack Johnson. Cole would have taken that deal and the Pens would not have any expenses associated with the acquisitions of Oleksiak, Johnson, Matt Hunwick, Most likely Ruhwedal, 4 different players moving in and out of line up, moving expenses, cash and the total waste of cas ( 2 million est. ) and cap space blown ( 7 million est ) over the last 2 seasons for the services of Brassard. Then the possible loss of playoff revenue for the early exit last year due to Wilson terrorizing the poor Penguins and any time lost by Zach Astin Reese. I would bet a audit of those costs would reveal what stupid move it was just because Sullivan didn't like Cole's twitter.

Reactions: EightyOne

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Well for one there is the contract given to Jaack Johnson. Cole would have taken that deal

Says who? He is currently getting 4.25 million a year, 1 million more than JJ.

Then the possible loss of playoff revenue for the early exit last year due to Wilson terrorizing the poor Penguins and any time lost by Zach Astin Reese.

Are you saying Cole playing for the Pens would have prevented Wilson from taking runs at players?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Says who? He is currently getting 4.25 million a year, 1 million more than JJ.

Are you saying Cole playing for the Pens would have prevented Wilson from taking runs at players?

Cole would've taken Johnson deal if JR had offered it in the summer after the 2nd cup, and he was the one who pretty much said so.

And, Cole wouldn't have prevented Wilson from taking runs, but he'd have been the best guy when it came to defending the house, have made the PP better, and have been better at supporting the offense (breakouts, transition) than any defenseman except Letang or Schultz.

Reactions: larueskee

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Well, the last time I saw Cole Geno made an absolute fool out of him, who knows if he is even that good these days. :)

Yes, he probably would have increased our chances of winning the Caps series but it's hardly a sure thing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, the last time I saw Cole Geno made an absolute fool out of him, who knows if he is even that good these days. :)

Yes, he probably would have increased our chances of winning the Caps series but it's hardly a sure thing.

Cole is still good these days, and no matter what he's better than Jack Mother ****** Johnson, no matter what @pixiesfanyo thinks to the contrary notwithstanding.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cole would've taken Johnson deal if JR had offered it in the summer after the 2nd cup, and he was the one who pretty much said so.

And, Cole wouldn't have prevented Wilson from taking runs, but he'd have been the best guy when it came to defending the house, have made the PP better, and have been better at supporting the offense (breakouts, transition) than any defenseman except Letang or Schultz.

Did you mean to put PK instead on the PP there? Because I don't really remember Cole on the PP...

Johnson isn't the worst thing ever, but I'd definitely take Cole on the same money over him once a day and twice on Saturdays.

Reactions: larueskee

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Did you mean to put PK instead on the PP there? Because I don't really remember Cole on the PP...

Johnson isn't the worst thing ever, but I'd definitely take Cole on the same money over him once a day and twice on Saturdays.

Yes, I meant PK.

And, yes, I suppose Johnson isn't the worst thing ever, although I'd argue he's closer to THAT than he is to Cole. :cry:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, I meant PK.

And, yes, I suppose Johnson isn't the worst thing ever, although I'd argue he's closer to THAT than he is to Cole. :cry:

I'd describe him as aggressively okay. As in, he's pointedly not more than okay. Just can't move the puck well enough and, crucially in comparison with Cole, always gives the impression that he's the babysittee and not a guy who can do the babysitting. You looking forwards to his inevitable stint with Schultz? No, me neither.

Johnson reminds me of Oleksiak actually. A good package of skills, but the missing ones are really annoying ones to miss on this team and really complicate pairings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad