OT: "Older" fans: how does the atmosphere/build-up in NY compare to '94?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I wish I was in NYC for the Rangers bandwagon. I am stuck with "White Hot Heat", someone kill me please, I hate basketball.

PACIADJLEJJAACND.jpg

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hear you BR.

Maybe living on long island I put up with more abuse. Going to ground round in Hicksville for so many islander ranger gams in the 80-84 stretch etc. I had cubs fan syndrome no doubt.

And even after devil sereis, remember game 5 cup finals. We were up 3-0 were we not ?? and boom 6-3. Just had the feeling always the bottom was going to drop out.

Again, the sign in game 7 end summed it up....now I could die in peace.

They were losing 3-0 and tied it up in the third only to have Vancouver score right after. They then scored a couple of late goals. The game changing play was a Ranger goal that was nullified by an offside call that was incorrect.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
For what it's worth...The ride in 94 was shared by the Knicks. The Rangers did not own the city or the back pages, or even their own building, they shared it.

So for the casual fan, this is MUCH bigger than 94. Rangers are THE story.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I really hope everyone predicting an explosion if the Rangers take an early lead in the series is right. Would love to experience even a fraction of the pandemonium that '94 was.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
tough to compare atmospheres 20 years apart. For me, I was 25 years old and a die hard Rangers fan. No girlfriend. No kid. No cell phone. No pager. No plasma/LCD TV. No Internet. No email and voicemail was just beginning to gain traction. Most of what's on tap at bars didn't exist and I could still get Busch beer on tap at my local bar. Mindset was different for me and they hadn't won the Cup since 1940, and everyone in the world knew it by then. For me, nothing could top that atmosphere. One night the Knicks played. The next the Rangers. Then Knicks. Then Rangers. In the bars every night watching both (I can barely watch basketball today). Well, same bar which today is what it was in 1998 - a whole in the ground. I can remember stupid details about much of the run, including the end, which was on a Tuesday, and was Flag day. Friday was the parade. OJ took off in a white bronco that day. Starks goes for three at to win it in game six for the Knicks when down by two. He missed. The City was buzzing. And while it was rightfully pointed out that the buzz was shared, it was a NYC buzz and many in NYC were still from NYC and cared about sports (again, we had less to do back then). From a personal standpoint, this can't compare. But it's not fair for me to say one would be better than the other. It was just a different time and I was a different person.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
to add, it sucked when it ended. It was like after two months we all had to go back to work. Weird season too. For some reason I videotaped every game that season. All tapes have reluctantly been tossed.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I wish I was in NYC for the Rangers bandwagon. I am stuck with "White Hot Heat", someone kill me please, I hate basketball.

PACIADJLEJJAACND.jpg

Aren't they used to it by now? Thats the thing that gets me about basketball, very little parity.

Theres like 5 or 6 NBA teams that have won the championship in the past 25 years. Compare that to any other major sport and its laughable.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
They were losing 3-0 and tied it up in the third only to have Vancouver score right after. They then scored a couple of late goals. The game changing play was a Ranger goal that was nullified by an offside call that was incorrect.

My mind has dropped that game completely. Don't remember a minute of it (there are advantages when you get into your 50s, your mind is too full to remember absolutely everything). It was losing game 6 that nearly killed me. Athough I did have some distractions before game 7 that helped the time go by (I became an aunt for the first time).

I have a Rangers shirt that I wore every game I watched in 1994--after Game 6 I ate a pint of Ben and Jerry's choc. fudge something frozen yogurt and got a big stain on it. My friends and I changed our routine--we didn't watch the pre-game show (watched the Mets instead), we ate sushi and didn't wear a stitch of Ranger stuff. I guess if it goes to game 7 I'll have to get the gang back together--too bad the sushi restaurant went out of business.

PS: never wore that Ranger shirt with the stain again. But, I'll keep it for the rest of my life (and maybe will it to my neice who was born the day before). And I've never tried that Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt since either.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My mind has dropped that game completely. Don't remember a minute of it (there are advantages when you get into your 50s, your mind is too full to remember absolutely everything). It was losing game 6 that nearly killed me. Athough I did have some distractions before game 7 that helped the time go by (I became an aunt for the first time).

I have a Rangers shirt that I wore every game I watched in 1994--after Game 6 I ate a pint of Ben and Jerry's choc. fudge something frozen yogurt and got a big stain on it. My friends and I changed our routine--we didn't watch the pre-game show (watched the Mets instead), we ate sushi and didn't wear a stitch of Ranger stuff. I guess if it goes to game 7 I'll have to get the gang back together--too bad the sushi restaurant went out of business.

PS: never wore that Ranger shirt with the stain again. But, I'll keep it for the rest of my life (and maybe will it to my neice who was born the day before). And I've never tried that Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt since either.

Game 5 of the '94 finals actually reminded me a lot of game 5 vs. Montreal.

But yes, I remember that game 6 loss in Vancouver being a real dagger. The team was thoroughly beaten that night.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
For what it's worth...The ride in 94 was shared by the Knicks. The Rangers did not own the city or the back pages, or even their own building, they shared it.

So for the casual fan, this is MUCH bigger than 94. Rangers are THE story.

Both teams owned it--in those days I think more people watched both teams on a regular basis (I know I did--although I never watch basketball anymore). So-called "casual" fans (at least the ones I knew and know) don't really bother during the regular season, but get interested during the playoffs. By now, they're not casual fans anymore, they've been watching since April and know all the twists and turns.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
to add, it sucked when it ended. It was like after two months we all had to go back to work. Weird season too. For some reason I videotaped every game that season. All tapes have reluctantly been tossed.

Every game? Wow--although I still have the VHS tape of Game 7 and several hours of the parade tacked on at the end. I should really get it converted, since I'm clearly going to keep it.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
yes, Every game Brooklyn...

I didn't always get home from work by 7:30pm, and the DVR, obviously, wasn't invented yet. I also had a weird feeling about the season. Threw them out last year with my entire collection of Lost in Space tapes. Believe I saved a few tapes though (including the 88-89 "Year of the Rookies" and a couple others). Those tapes took up a lot of space!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Both teams owned it--in those days I think more people watched both teams on a regular basis (I know I did--although I never watch basketball anymore). So-called "casual" fans (at least the ones I knew and know) don't really bother during the regular season, but get interested during the playoffs. By now, they're not casual fans anymore, they've been watching since April and know all the twists and turns.

I think back in '94 as I stated in my post a few pages ago, most of us back than were in fact Knick and Rangers fans. And back than with Ewing, Starks, Oakley and Riley coaching, the Knicks were very relevant even during that years regular season. I know for me and my buddies, about 10 of us regulars, we were consumed in thinking this was "karma" and that Madison Square Garden was going to be the home of two title teams. If your recall BR, Bulls didn't have Jordan that year and so Knicks were just as much a favorite to win the title as Rangers were.

And like you said, when playoff began for both teams, it was Knicks one night, Rangers the next, Knicks and than Rangers the following night....for two *** months this went on. Both teams hadn't won titles in so long and so that is what made '94 so different than this year as well. It really was an Madison Square Garden party thing going on. This year as I said, this is a "walk in *** park" compared to '94 for Rangers. I know for us, every single game from Game 1 of the Devil series to the last seconds of Game 7 of the Vancouver Cup final, it was STRESS city...one whole *** month of just stress. This year sure there have been some anxious moments for us fans but hardly any stress at all. I'm loving this year's team and I do think we are going to shock the hockey world and win this at home in 6 games. But nothing possible can compare to the Rangers '94 Cup win in any sport except for possibly the Red Sox WS win in 2004 when they ended their god forsaken hex as well. Anyways, great stuff in this thread...brings back some great memories for us 45+ old fogies......lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
You're smoking that good goodness if you think the Rangers were NOT the top National story in 1994, let alone the city.

The Knicks were an afterthought until the parade ended. And I'm as die hard a Knicks fan you'll find.

The Knicks were a bonus in 94.

The Rangers owned the nation for three weeks.

Not sure who your addressing the smoking of the good goodness but it's an absolute fact the Knicks playoff and title run that spring of '94 was just as big as the Rangers Cup run. Basketball is the "city game" and in NYC, hoops is as big as it gets in any big city when the home team is going well. Hockey even in NY is still the 4th most popular of the major sports...just the way it is I didn't make that up. Ewing and Knicks were HUGE story that spring. Just as big as Messier and Rangers were. But that's my point. Both teams made that year so special. Both as I said were suffering from long title droughts(Knicks 19 years and Rangers 54), both were occupants of greatest arena MSG in greatest and biggest city in USA and combine that together it was just another reason why that year was so different than this year where we have a terrific underdog story in our Rangers but is far far from reaching the epic proportions of the spring of 1994 the Rangers grip on the city was for that season. I absolutely contend the Knicks run that year helped make that year the most incredible spring most of us 40 plus year olds will ever witness in our lifetimes.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Not sure who your addressing the smoking of the good goodness but it's an absolute fact the Knicks playoff and title run that spring of '94 was just as big as the Rangers Cup run. Basketball is the "city game" and in NYC, hoops is as big as it gets in any big city when the home team is going well. Hockey even in NY is still the 4th most popular of the major sports...just the way it is I didn't make that up. Ewing and Knicks were HUGE story that spring. Just as big as Messier and Rangers were. But that's my point. Both teams made that year so special. Both as I said were suffering from long title droughts(Knicks 19 years and Rangers 54), both were occupants of greatest arena MSG in greatest and biggest city in USA and combine that together it was just another reason why that year was so different than this year where we have a terrific underdog story in our Rangers but is far far from reaching the epic proportions of the spring of 1994 the Rangers grip on the city was for that season. I absolutely contend the Knicks run that year helped make that year the most incredible spring most of us 40 plus year olds will ever witness in our lifetimes.

You can't argue against fact.

It's not my opinion. It's fact. The local and national media led with the Rangers every night from the beginning of the CF till the parade.

Go use Google and look at the archived newspapers from Chicago, LA, Boston, Philly etc.

The Knicks best season in 20 years could not, would not and did not trump the biggest story in sports.

Come on.

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
I hear you BR.

Maybe living on long island I put up with more abuse. Going to ground round in Hicksville for so many islander ranger gams in the 80-84 stretch etc. I had cubs fan syndrome no doubt.

And even after devil sereis, remember game 5 cup finals. We were up 3-0 were we not ?? and boom 6-3. Just had the feeling always the bottom was going to drop out.

I really was just thinking the exact same thing. Anyone who says they were confident during Game 6 of the ECF is lying. Especially being down 2-1 that game going into the 3rd period. It was a constant wait for the floor to drop, and some how we avoided it.

Then Being up 3-1 in the finals and allowing Vancouver back into the series, it all seemed Ranger-esq

Vidic15*

I was in 6th grade so I remember it quite well. Started watching the Rangers the season before when they failed to even make the playoffs. They played the Caps the last game of the season and lost. Such a disappointing season.

At the start of the 93-94 season, I watched from the first preseason game with high expectations. I'm pretty sure they played a preseason game in London that year.

Trade deadline day was a day I will never forget. My friends and I were playing street hockey in front of my friend's house. Getting information about trades was a lot different from today. A random car stopped and asked us if we heard about the trades the Rangers made. Hearing those trades was deflating. I though to myself, Oh my god so this is the curse. They are actually trying to throw away their chance of winning the Cup.

Day after the Rangers won the Cup, our 6th grade teacher taped the game and brought it in for us to watch, drink soda and eat cupcakes. :)

Just thought I'd share all of that. But to answer the question, I do feel like 94 was more special. This year's team is a surprise. It is almost a surreal feeling. LGR!!!

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
The biggest difference between the 2 seasons was 1940. It seemed like I endured that chant since I started following the Rangers in the early 70,s. Definitely since 1980

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I hear you BR.

No, we were behind by 3, tied it up then quickly gave up 2 or 3 goals and lost. But when Messier tied that game in the third I don't think the garden was ever as loud.

tough to compare atmospheres 20 years apart. For me, I was 25 years old and a die hard Rangers fan. No girlfriend. No kid. No cell phone. No pager. No plasma/LCD TV. No Internet. No email and voicemail was just beginning to gain traction. Most of what's on tap at bars didn't exist and I could still get Busch beer on tap at my local bar. Mindset was different for me and they hadn't won the Cup since 1940, and everyone in the world knew it by then. For me, nothing could top that atmosphere. One night the Knicks played. The next the Rangers. Then Knicks. Then Rangers. In the bars every night watching both (I can barely watch basketball today). Well, same bar which today is what it was in 1998 - a whole in the ground. I can remember stupid details about much of the run, including the end, which was on a Tuesday, and was Flag day. Friday was the parade. OJ took off in a white bronco that day. Starks goes for three at to win it in game six for the Knicks when down by two. He missed. The City was buzzing. And while it was rightfully pointed out that the buzz was shared, it was a NYC buzz and many in NYC were still from NYC and cared about sports (again, we had less to do back then). From a personal standpoint, this can't compare. But it's not fair for me to say one would be better than the other. It was just a different time and I was a different person.

Yup :nod:

Such a different time. I can't believe how lucky I was to have been 20 years old. Fan since I was 5, my parents both screamed at the radio during the '79 finals. I only waited 15 years. Like Sather's term as GM - it's been a long long long time, but we got here awful quick ;)

Aren't they used to it by now? Thats the thing that gets me about basketball, very little parity.

Theres like 5 or 6 NBA teams that have won the championship in the past 25 years. Compare that to any other major sport and its laughable.

I've been saying that the last 4 years to a friend of mine who is a huge Phoenix Suns fan. Horrible parity and a severe tilt of talent out West, with only one serious team in the East thanks to Lebrons hijacking of the Heat, a Bulls bad knee and general ineptitude by other organizations.

I didn't always get home from work by 7:30pm, and the DVR, obviously, wasn't invented yet. I also had a weird feeling about the season. Threw them out last year with my entire collection of Lost in Space tapes. Believe I saved a few tapes though (including the 88-89 "Year of the Rookies" and a couple others). Those tapes took up a lot of space!

I still have Year of the Rookies and ESPN tapings of all the 3rd and 4th round of the Rangers 1994 Cup. I think I have 2 games per tape so its 7 tapes plus the final game with all the interviews and coverage thereafter on ESPN. I was living in Maryland at the time, moved with my family and went to school there in 94 and was a clerk at blockbuster video. My best friend worked at a 7-11, Kevin smiths 'clerks' came out that year. So did Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, and Shawshank. In music it was called 'the year the losers won', stemming from such huge albums by Green Day, Weezer, Offspring etc. Pink Floyd had their last massive tour that Summer. The world Cup of Soccer was played in Giants stadium the week after the Rangers won the Cup. Ireland played Italy ! The world was glorious to a 20 yr old Bluenote :D

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014
If you guys recall who are old enough, every other night it was either Knicks or Rangers on MSG Network/ESPN and National TV. For two straight months it was like that. It was crazy. And you had the Ewing/Starks Knicks playing the Jordan less Bulls at same time the Messier/Leetch Rangers are playing the Devils. So we had some insanely competitive matchups and it was all about not only NY having two teams playing in their respective sports title games but in fact winning titles. And than you had the whole "mecca of sports" Madison Square Garden thing going on and it was just a wild and crazy spring for us Ranger fans spring of 1994.

I remember Hakeem Olajuwon being interviewed during their Finals saying he was rooting for the Canucks! Lit up the airwaves for a day or 2.

The intensity back then might have been larger due to the fact that the Knicks and Rangers were as if competing for NY allegiances. Both were pulling for each other as their respective rounds went on.

Also, aside from the Mets ('86) and Giants ('90), no team had won a championship recently and the city was hungry to latch onto a winner. Both the Mets and Yanks were average teams. This was before the dynasty Yankees. Post 96, the city heavily turned Pro-Yankees. Ripe for NY'ers to follow the Ranger wave.

I still vividly remember my junior high teacher in Brooklyn breaking dress code and teaching class wearing his Ranger jersey throughout the playoff run.

Compare it to these days where there is so much noise competing for your attention, not sure if it would reach the intensity of 1994.

nasmis

Feb 1, 2011
I think the team needs a good start to this series for everyone to join the bandwagon.

Right now, with what's objectively an underdog status against LA, some people are wary of letting their emotions get carried away.

It's like suppressing feelings you have for an amazing girl that you're pretty sure you'll never get.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This^ ! As well as the Rangers regular season record. People had high expectations. Once we got in and dominated the Isles and Caps, the city went absolutely crazy!

This^, speaking to the fact it was our first cup win in ages.
20 years ago is not yesterday, but if you're 25+ you can probably recall it.

Bonus kudos for nailing the domination factor.
We had single games and stretches that were dominating this post season.

But we for the most part are still getting it together with a late arriving Marty.
In 94 we CRUSHED the sheeiiiite out of the Isles and Caps. The Devils (Brodeur) and Canucks (Bure) were much tougher. But we got our ya-yas out.

This year, we are still feeling we had to earn everything, and get a lot of Divine Intervention breaks to do help do so.

20 years ago, we were not better than the best classic teams of all time, but we were first rate butt kickers. Now we have McD; then we had Leetch AND Zubov. I like Kreider's overall game more, but Kovalev was more polished his first year.

But it is good either way.

Do feel free to check out some of the great posters we had about all time players each position, etc.; you may wanna chat with likes of Eco's bones and Crease, who I consider amongst our most knowledgeable, esp as to anything pertaining to yesteryear.

If memory serves EB said he considered this year's run "improbable".
We are a modified version of the '69 mets.
The '94 team was one of the Yankees!

Once we get a sense of the cup being 4 wins away, I think some of the fever you are keeping an eye out for will be quite visible.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
The hype in 1994 seemed to be much greater than it is now. Maybe because of my age, but maybe it's because we won the President's trophy, which raised expectations, then trounced the Piles, out scoring them something like 24-3 for the series, smacking down the Caps, then beat the upstart Devils in an epic battle. Winning the Presidents trophy and beating 2 of our biggest rivals set the stage for quite a bit of hype. Imagine if Al Gore had invented the internet back in 1994, how much crazier it might have been?!

Right now, there isn't a whole lot of hype for the Ramgers in NYC that I can feel. It's more of a cautious optimism that I'm hearing. Lots of "hey we made it, but do we stand a chance to win?" type of chatter going on.

In 1994, the confidence that we'd win was enormous. We were the best team in the NHL that season, so it's natural. This year? We're seen more of a Cinderella Story type of team.

Let's hope that like Dorothy, it ends happily for us with a big homecoming. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad