OT: "Older" fans: how does the atmosphere/build-up in NY compare to '94?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
My god the. "1940" was relentless, we got it from everyone, but the Island was the worst. Thank god we dispelled that ghost. Nothing will ever beat that feeling.

"This one will last a lifetime"

And it will

It will be remembered for a lifetime, but I don't want it to be the "only one" during my lifetime.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You have to put 1994 in a different context. First you have the whole "1940" aspect, which, as others pointed out, many long-time fans never believed they'd see a Ranger Cup-winning team in their lifetime. The ghosts that needed to be slayed that season were monumental. It colored everything. It was such a burden to carry around that post-season, especially in the last two rounds. Plus, for many of us, the 1992 was more talented and more complete, especially up front. Many of us believed that the 1992 team should have been the one to challenge for the Cup. Add in the total disappointment of the 1992-93 season, including the disappointment of losing out on Lindros, and there was so much weight on the shoulders of that team. And, you also had Smith essentially re-making the team three weeks away from the start of the playoffs,,,that team HAD to win. Like Brooklyn Ranger said, the first two series were a cakewalk, although "the dragon" as Messier dubbed it, reared it's ugly head in game 5 against the Caps when Kevin Hatcher scored on a shot just inside the blueline, reminding many of us of the Ron Francis goal two years prior. It was the series against the Devils where the anxiety started. I had nights where I could not fall asleep. From my vantage point nothing can ever equal that sports moment in my life again. Believe me, I fully have cherished this run. I love this current squad, and many of the players are players I wanted to see in a Ranger uniform, either through drafting and development, or through trades. But, that run actually vaulted hockey into 3rd place among the big four pro sports league, past the NBA, for a brief and shining moment. It was transcendent in so many ways. Just enjoy and savor the ride.
Great all around post, Jas. You summarized it perfectly, right down to actually going back to '92.

Nothing could be 1994. This is just different. No one chants "1994" in derision at each game, the way that "1940" was chanted. And that is evident when you see footage of Graves and Kovalev chanting it post win. 1994 was just such a fight against history and historical ghosts.

To put it into context, I went to a Pink Floyd concert at Yankee Stadium during the Isles series. There was an intermission. And as the stadium was dark, EVERYONE was chanting "LET'S GO RANGERS!!!" And there was no game even being played that night.

This year is very different from 1994. Not without it's rewards and anxiety, but just different. A closer comparison to the feeling during the run would be 1979.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I am not from and have never lived in New York but I can tell you that the buildup in Montana is roughly the same.

There's actually a buildup in Montana? No offense, but I never really imagined residents of Montana even knowing, let alone caring about hockey. Sorry, just saying.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It will be remembered for a lifetime, but I don't want it to be the "only one" during my lifetime.
The frightening thing is that there must have been plenty of people way believed that they would see something between 1940-1994. And never got a chance to see it. Which is why one of the signature celebrations in '94 was the guy holding the sign about being able to die in peace.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
As Jas mentioned earlier, the context was completely different. When the 92/93 team lost everyone was stunned. Like the Cubs or the RedSox something always happened to take it away from us.

I remember being in a bar in game 6 vs the Devils in '94 and the place was empty (later that bar would be so jam packed with people they opened the back room up, saved for catering events and it was standing room only), the Devs were up 2-0 in that game and I turned my chair away from the TV and said to a friend who was more a casual fan "I don't think I can watch them lose again. It's killing me." When the first goal went in he said "you may want to start watching again"

I did and then proceeded to suffer through the remainder of the run.

Highs and lows the whole time but always felt that the curse wAs right there. We had to beat teams but beating that curse was tougher. Way tougher.

This run has been fantastic and we've beaten other curses. But to hoist the cup, they're going to have to beat a really really good team.

That's the difference I think. Curse vs a team

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Also the trading away of guys like Amonte, Doug Weight, Gartner, Granato and Turcotte.

That was grueling. I remember disagreeing with so much of that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also the trading away of guys like Amonte, Doug Weight, Gartner, Granato and Turcotte.

That was grueling. I remember disagreeing with so much of that.
Marchant went as well. In the end, the ends justified the means. Which is how this year will be looked at.

But not fighting the curse makes it a different experience.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Based on the post above you can get the overall theme from '94 that is somewhat different from now - the expectations started to build up much earlier due to the President's Cup and dominating performances in the first two rounds against the Isles and Caps, which meant that the Rangers' bandwagon was already pretty full by the ECF and the drama against the Devils got A LOT more attention compare to this year's come back against Pens and getting by the Habs. Also, in '94 there was something I can describe as MSG synergy because the bandwagon was being pulled by two horses: the Rangers and the Knicks. Not only fans but players from both teams were showing their support in public which was pretty cool as well. Someone mention that hockey became sport # 3 in NY at that time but I disagree. Hockey and basketball became one-two sport punch in the city while early part of the baseball season and definitely football off-season were pushed back by quite a margin. Unfortunately, because of NHL lockout later that year all of it went down the drain so that hockey in NY and USA in general has never been able to reach again the level of popularity in '94.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
There's actually a buildup in Montana? No offense, but I never really imagined residents of Montana even knowing, let alone caring about hockey. Sorry, just saying.

Yep and we've even got running water too, it's amazing.

The joke however was that the buildup is basically my level of excitement which is the same as when I was 9.

Hockey is pretty popular here now at least where I grew up and in some of the larger ares that have had rinks and teams for an extended period of team. Our high school team consisted of people from three different towns, now I am pretty sure they could have multiple teams.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hockey and basketball became one-two sport punch in the city while early part of the baseball season and definitely football off-season were pushed back by quite a margin.
Oh, absolutely. But that is just about the vibe in NY at that time. Being in NY and having one night of Rangers and one night of Knicks, each night was unbelievable. Even if you were not a sports fan. The players felt is at as well as they each visited the other locker room during the run.
Unfortunately, because of NHL lockout later that year all of it went down the drain so that hockey in NY and USA in general has never been able to reach again the level of popularity in '94.
One hopes that as the Rangers own NY right now and all of the back stories (Dom Moore, MSL) have captivated seemingly most of the sports stories, that the NHL can build on this. Having a lockout post 1994 was a disaster and set the sport back. Now, Bettman has a Sather-like mulligan. They can utilize this as a stepping stone. And this has nothing to do with the hubris of being a Rangers fan. This is just the business of business being business.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One hopes that as the Rangers own NY right now and all of the back stories (Dom Moore, MSL) have captivated seemingly most of the sports stories, that the NHL can build on this. Having a lockout post 1994 was a disaster and set the sport back. Now, Bettman has a Sather-like mulligan. They can utilize this as a stepping stone. And this has nothing to do with the hubris of being a Rangers fan. This is just the business of business being business.

Hockey is definitely on the rise - last season's lockout surprisingly had a very minor damaging impact, if any. Recent powerhouses being Chicago, Boston and Detroit - all original 6 franchises - along with LA and Pittsburgh and hopefully now NYR, will continue to provide increasing exposure to the sport. Also, that we can expect no more lockouts for a few uninterrupted years of just the game related developments should work toward building the hockey brand a cross the US. Finally, Jets, Coyotes and Isles resolving their location / ownership issues should help as well.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
It kind of feels the same, but not exactly. I still don't believe it, but I'm loving every minute of it. Hockey seemed much more prominent in discussion as more people I knew were into it when I was surrounded by other 13 year olds. It's taking the same amou t if my energy and attention, just not to those around me. Now it's just something that makes me happy, and hope I'm not severely disappointed in two weeks.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The Curse...

As a few have stated, that is THE difference between this year's run and 1994. There is no curse to deal with this year. Sure we haven't won diddly in 20 years but the lack of a "dragon to slay" has made this run so much less stressful and honestly more enjoyable.

1994 for me and my buddies all of whom at the time were anywhere's from 30 to 35 at time was all about RELIEF!. That is the adjective that comes up for me when thinking about that year and especially the 2 month playoff run. Though we hadn't suffered thru 54 years of grief most Ranger fans like me of had dealt with for most part only disappointment. Whether it be the 1972 Cup loss to the Bruins when we were kids, the tease of 1979 while in HS when we got up on the powerful Canadians only to be shrunk down to size very quickly. I know for me it was really the traumatic and mentally stinging playoff losses EVERY stinking year to the Islanders in the early to mid 80's which really symbolized how it was being a Ranger fan as we would always have a competitive team with some exciting moments but we just always would fall short. Than we had the mid to late 80's which to me is symbolized by crappy hockey and the Debbies beating us for a playoff spot one year and that "Micky Mouse" organization becoming a thorn in our side.

And than as a few of y'all have pointed out we had those President's Trophy teams of the early 90's which once again raises expectations to no avail. So by time '94 occured, though we were favored to win the Cup, NONE of us Ranger fans thought we would pull it off despite how good we were in regular season.

It was during the playoff run when we destroyed Isles and Caps that some of us started to think..."hmmm....maybe just maybe we got a shot here to get to the Finals". So here it is we we by a miracle, somehow get by the Debbies in the ECF, we also need a prayer as well vs Canucks(anyone recall Nathan Lafayette hitting post late in Game 7?) and we win a Cup. So yeah there was bedlam and we were all pumped but it was RELIEF that we finally slayed the dragon and ended the curse!

This year, this is a "walk in the park" compared to '94. We think there was some stress down 3-1 heading into Game 5 vs Pitt? Multiply that stress by 50 times is what the stress level was in EVERY game in '94 from Game 1 of Devil series to Game 7 vs Canucks. One whole *** month of just stress...nothing but stress. As I said wins were not so much about enjoying them but rather us fans were just relieved. This year is not even in same stratosphere. I'm enjoying this Cup run very much as though anxious, the stress level is so much less than in it was in 1994 I feel I can enjoy it and cherish this Cup run more. Anyways great topic...great feedback so far and some great great memories some of y'all have brought up!.

Last edited:

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
It is not even close...the tension and excitement in 1994 will never rival anything else in NYC....the entire city was under a spell and talk radio and tv news covered it tremendously, the pressure to eliminate the 1940 chants were off the charts. and the conf finals vs the devils was the best playoff series ever played in the history of the NHL..this current run is awesome but light years away from what happened in 1994

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Knicks/Rangers in '94

A few of your very succinctly brought up the whole Knicks/Rangers thing going on in '94 and that cannot be discounted as I think that is another huge reason why '94 was as wild as it was compared to this year.

If you guys recall who are old enough, every other night it was either Knicks or Rangers on MSG Network/ESPN and National TV. For two straight months it was like that. It was crazy. And you had the Ewing/Starks Knicks playing the Jordan less Bulls at same time the Messier/Leetch Rangers are playing the Devils. So we had some insanely competitive matchups and it was all about not only NY having two teams playing in their respective sports title games but in fact winning titles. And than you had the whole "mecca of sports" Madison Square Garden thing going on and it was just a wild and crazy spring for us Ranger fans spring of 1994.

This year is pretty much unexpected and we are all just enjoying the ride and see where this underdog team of ours goes...so so different than the expectations of 1994!

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
To me, the biggest difference is the majority of the fan base. Back then, the majority of us feels like they are in some sort of fraternity. We didn't need True Blue, blue United or. Rangerstown to feel as one. Every game in the playoffs in the garden, we were one. We didn't have or needed the super loud music or little rangers or other trivial distractions to be entertained and be excited. Being there was exciting enough.

Today's fan base is more of the Hank era. They will be never understand the "now. I can die in peace" mindset. You cannot compare ending a 54 year drought to a 20 year drought. That's not saying today's fan base is bad. Just different. We are in the digital age now. I grew up listening to Marv Albert doing the rangers on WNBC radio. Those were great great memories that made me the ranger fan I am today.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Marchant went as well. In the end, the ends justified the means. Which is how this year will be looked at.

But not fighting the curse makes it a different experience.

To be fair I never did question it after we won.

I remember vehemently disagreeing with Gartner, Weight and somewhat less so Amonte.

I wonder if we kept those guys if it would have still happened, would it have been easier? Would we be more of a perennial contender with that youth and skill?

I dunno. Don't care much but it's interesting to think about once in a while.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This team may "only" have made it to the finals--but I don't think the same hype is there (at this point), this time around. And given the changes in the way people get information, I don't think it will ever match the intensity around the whole playoff run in 1994, regardless of the outcome.

People seem to forget the hype around the Rangers that whole season--things really began to take off when the All-Star game was played at the Garden (and who put on a show and was MVP?). Rap-stars were wearing Ranger sweaters on national TV.

I remember the trophies (Including the Stanley Cup) on display in Grand Central during the All Star Game... I still have my pic with the Cup.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I think the league was already dying in that dead puck/clutch and grab era of ugly hockey from like 99-04. The lockout murdered the sport though. You never heard about Hockey on WFAN after the lockout even though the Rangers started to do well again compared to before the lockout when they were dreadful for 7 straight years.

Yes, I noticed this.
Pre lockout the Rangers got back pages and WFAN talk pretty regularly. I never understood why the lockout changed it and as of yet has not recovered in NY.

Do you think now it be like it was pre lockout?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yes, I noticed this.
Pre lockout the Rangers got back pages and WFAN talk pretty regularly. I never understood why the lockout changed it and as of yet has not recovered in NY.

It's not there yet Jax but it's betting pretty close. Trust me when I say this as I'm far from being a Mike Franseca fan but when you start to listen to him an unabashed anti hockey guy, start talking hockey and having regulars like Pierre McGuire and Joe Micheletti on his show and you hear him interview Hank, you know hockey and the Rangers are starting to make an impact again on the NY sports scene. We'll see where we go from here but I'm thinking a Ranger Cup win would be HUGE for the sport especially considering how "likeable" we are.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yes, I noticed this.

I think a great finals with the Rangers will really help the league as it did in 1994. The clutch and grab era followed by the lockout kicked this league in the ass!

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
A few of your very succinctly brought up the whole Knicks/Rangers thing going on in '94 and that cannot be discounted as I think that is another huge reason why '94 was as wild as it was compared to this year.

If you guys recall who are old enough, every other night it was either Knicks or Rangers on MSG Network/ESPN and National TV. For two straight months it was like that. It was crazy. And you had the Ewing/Starks Knicks playing the Jordan less Bulls at same time the Messier/Leetch Rangers are playing the Devils. So we had some insanely competitive matchups and it was all about not only NY having two teams playing in their respective sports title games but in fact winning titles. And than you had the whole "mecca of sports" Madison Square Garden thing going on and it was just a wild and crazy spring for us Ranger fans spring of 1994.

This year is pretty much unexpected and we are all just enjoying the ride and see where this underdog team of ours goes...so so different than the expectations of 1994!

Don't forget OJ and the Bronco.

With the Rangers and Knicks in the Finals, I was in a bar every night for a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad