OT: "Older" fans: how does the atmosphere/build-up in NY compare to '94?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Uh, we haven't won yet.

I think you guys are comparing your memories of winning The Cup to where we are right now which is not quite there yet.

If we win this thing the. City will blow up! You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Hank, MSL and Brad Richards on Letterman. Book it.

This team may "only" have made it to the finals--but I don't think the same hype is there (at this point), this time around. And given the changes in the way people get information, I don't think it will ever match the intensity around the whole playoff run in 1994, regardless of the outcome.

People seem to forget the hype around the Rangers that whole season--things really began to take off when the All-Star game was played at the Garden (and who put on a show and was MVP?). Rap-stars were wearing Ranger sweaters on national TV.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This team may "only" have made it to the finals--but I don't think the same hype is there (at this point), this time around. And given the changes in the way people get information, I don't think it will ever match the intensity around the whole playoff run in 1994, regardless of the outcome.

People seem to forget the hype around the Rangers that whole season--things really began to take off when the All-Star game was played at the Garden (and who put on a show and was MVP?). Rap-stars were wearing Ranger sweaters on national TV.

Good post, Brook. The biggest difference is the expectations for the team and the looming "curse".

Isn't interesting that Richter stopped Bure on a breakaway in that All Star game that was almost identical to "the save"? At least almost the same move by Bure.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Something to remember. Back in 94, and actually back to 91-92, we were the favored team. We were president trophy winners in 91-92 & 93-94. People expected us to go deep and do well. That being said, were were treated like the Cubs of hockey. Everywhere we went there was the 1940 chant.

Before getting to the finals, We lost just 1 game in the first 2 rounds. Swept the Islanders, only dropped one to the Capitals. So, we head into the ECF with plenty of rest, and plenty of people thinking we will cake walk it. From here I think most people know the story. NJ and their young goalie put up a hell of a fight. Matteau had not one, but 2 double over time game winning goals.

I am sure you know the story of the actual final series, it is very well documented, we were heavy favorites. If HFBoards existed, they would have predicted we would have won in 3. :D

I lived in north jersey at the time, and while it was a fever pitch, again, it was expected. We were one of the top teams in the league for 3 straight years.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Good post, Brook. The biggest difference is the expectations for the team and the looming "curse".

Isn't interesting that Richter stopped Bure on a breakaway in that All Star game that was almost identical to "the save"? At least almost the same move by Bure.

It was a good warm-up, wasn't it? I think when Richter made that stop in the finals it was the first time I actually believed we were going to win it all. To have had to "wait until next year" (as my family always said after the last loss of the season) would have killed me.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Something to remember. Back in 94, and actually back to 91-92, we were the favored team. We were president trophy winners in 91-92 & 93-94. People expected us to go deep and do well. That being said, were were treated like the Cubs of hockey. Everywhere we went there was the 1940 chant.

Before getting to the finals, We lost just 1 game in the first 2 rounds. Swept the Islanders, only dropped one to the Capitals. So, we head into the ECF with plenty of rest, and plenty of people thinking we will cake walk it. From here I think most people know the story. NJ and their young goalie put up a hell of a fight. Matteau had not one, but 2 double over time game winning goals.

I am sure you know the story of the actual final series, it is very well documented, we were heavy favorites. If HFBoards existed, they would have predicted we would have won in 3. :D

I lived in north jersey at the time, and while it was a fever pitch, again, it was expected. We were one of the top teams in the league for 3 straight years.

We didn't just sweep the Islanders--we absolutely crushed them. That was the first round and Ron Hextall was in net for them except the last game I think was Jamie McLennan. Scores if I remember right were--6-0, 6-0, 6-1 and 5-2.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Totally different. People went nuts 20 years ago, which makes a lot of sense. We were the Cubs of the NHL. Chants of 1940 were a regular occurrence. People had waited 54 years. Very few were alive who had seen the previous victory.
Back when I was a kid, my uncle (RIP) who was an isles fan, gave me a t-shirt with a 1940 Stanley cup surrounded with cobwebs. IMO the rivalries between the local teams was bigger at the time, especially as we beat both teams in the playoffs that season. The rangers in the cup is of course special but not playing rivals might not engage the city as much.

Do you think a tshirt with a 1983 Stanley cup in cobwebs would be as good a gag gift today?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Back when I was a kid, my uncle (RIP) who was an isles fan, gave me a t-shirt with a 1940 Stanley cup surrounded with cobwebs. IMO the rivalries between the local teams was bigger at the time, especially as we beat both teams in the playoffs that season. The rangers in the cup is of course special but not playing rivals might not engage the city as much.

Do you think a tshirt with a 1983 Stanley cup in cobwebs would be as good a gag gift today?

Not that I experienced the ribbing back before '94, but probably not. As of right now the Rangers are only 11 years removed from '83. Should they win this year, it might be a worthwhile taunt, but it's still not 50+ years.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Not that I experienced the ribbing back before '94, but probably not. As of right now the Rangers are only 11 years removed from '83. Should they win this year, it might be a worthwhile taunt, but it's still not 50+ years.

The rangers were 54 years from their last cup in 94 while the isles are 31 years away from theirs right now. Thats what i meant. Although it didn't stop me from calling my brother after we won the cup and shouting 1983 to him at 2am, something i hope to repeat in a couple of weeks! :)

Edit: and this time i wont have to find an unoccupied pay phone on 7th avenue.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Much bigger in 94. It probably had to do with the long drought and also that team was a juggernaut that steamrolled through the regular season, plus even with the internet nowadays, that team just got more press overall.

This. The Rangers were the heavy favorites, so in addition to the 1940 hooplah, there was an expectation they were going to win before the SCF even started. Obviously it wasn't that easy, but we were supposed to roll Vancouver.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
In 1994, the Rangers hysteria started early as they destroyed the Islanders, and it built from there.

We may be the underdogs now, but NY loves a winner, so if this team gets the upper hand in the series, prepare of late stage pandemonium! People aren't sure what to expect, but if they feel it too, the city will be a madhouse. It's the Stanley Cup Finals!

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
I'm not in NYC so can't comment on the atmosphere but do remember Rangers won the President's trophy and were the favourites so this is definitely different.

From personal experience, I remember the season the team I played on was number one all season and were favoured to win our playoffs. We did, and quite honestly, the feeling of victory was greatly overshadowed by the feeling of relief.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I am not from and have never lived in New York but I can tell you that the buildup in Montana is roughly the same.

mjdlight

Jul 20, 2006
We didn't just sweep the Islanders--we absolutely crushed them. That was the first round and Ron Hextall was in net for them except the last game I think was Jamie McLennan. Scores if I remember right were--6-0, 6-0, 6-1 and 5-2.

The Islanders have never been the same after that series. In fact, with their move to Brooklyn, their whole identity is going to change, inevitably. The Rangers kind of murdered Isles V 1.0 in that series...

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Islanders have never been the same after that series. In fact, with their move to Brooklyn, their whole identity is going to change, inevitably. The Rangers kind of murdered Isles V 1.0 in that series...

The last push for that franchise was their Turgeon led conference final run in 93. The Rangers annihilated them in 94, and they've been more or less garbage for over 20 years.

ReggieDunlop the Hockey fan: They had quite a team at one point. Boy did they fall to Earth.

ReggieDunlop the Ranger fan: 1983! Enjoy Brooklyn!

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I don't know why but it seems to me Hockey had like a resurgence after the Rangers won it all. It caught the eye of SI and a lot of the media. I don't think Hockey was ever as popular in the U.S. outside of the niche markets of Philly, Boston and Detroit. After that it blew up. For the later half of the 90's Hockey was catching up until like 99 when the trap and the Devils killed the sport and so did the Rangers by sucking and the league by expanding too much. But the lockout completely destroyed the sport in the U.S. until recently when towns like L.A. Boston and Chicago won. Although I don't know if it will ever recover. But man I remember that time. I became a Ranger fan the exact season they won the Stanley cup. I was 11 years old and to me it was like normal that they would win because they were my team and that is what you do. The Rangers were the first pro sports team I followed. I wish someone could remember what player scored a hat trick against the penguins at the garden that year. It was my first game. After winning that cup I didn't think it was the end of the world. I thought it was normal. My little innocent mind did not comprehend history. And I honestly thought they would be back. And when Gretzky came in 97 I remember the cover of SI saying "West Side Story" I thought the cup was automatically ours again. I don't know why I digressed so much. I really have no friends who like hockey so I really needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for the therapy session guys.

AHB*

I don't know why but it seems to me Hockey had like a resurgence after the Rangers won it all. It caught the eye of SI and a lot of the media. I don't think Hockey was ever as popular in the U.S. outside of the niche markets of Philly, Boston and Detroit. After that it blew up. For the later half of the 90's Hockey was catching up until like 99 when the trap and the Devils killed the sport and so did the Rangers by sucking and the league by expanding too much. But the lockout completely destroyed the sport in the U.S. until recently when towns like L.A. Boston and Chicago won. Although I don't know if it will ever recover. But man I remember that time. I became a Ranger fan the exact season they won the Stanley cup. I was 11 years old and to me it was like normal that they would win because they were my team and that is what you do. The Rangers were the first pro sports team I followed. I wish someone could remember what player scored a hat trick against the penguins at the garden that year. It was my first game. After winning that cup I didn't think it was the end of the world. I thought it was normal. My little innocent mind did not comprehend history. And I honestly thought they would be back. And when Gretzky came in 97 I remember the cover of SI saying "West Side Story" I thought the cup was automatically ours again. I don't know why I digressed so much. I really have no friends who like hockey so I really needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for the therapy session guys.

Hockey was blowing up, then the league ****ed itself by having a lockout after all the excitement the Rangers/league generated.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I think the league was already dying in that dead puck/clutch and grab era of ugly hockey from like 99-04. The lockout murdered the sport though. You never heard about Hockey on WFAN after the lockout even though the Rangers started to do well again compared to before the lockout when they were dreadful for 7 straight years.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
The curse was such a huge factor back then. 54 years and counting. We were finally the big favorite, cruised through the first two rounds and all of a sudden, we were almost out to the Devils. We even lost game 1 when we hit the post late in the game and Vancouver goes the other way and scores. Then we're up 3-1 to Vancouver and lose the next two games. Going into game 7, you couldn't help but think, are we really cursed? It felt like the hex was over when we held on to win Game 7.

ccm4321

Apr 11, 2014
Not as crazy as '94. The city was nuts back been, the Rangers were everything, everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

I was living on Long Island at the time and was surrounded by Islander fans. Strange though, after the Rangers won I remember walking the streets around the house with my wife and there were tons of people walking around celebrating in the streets...converted for one night at least. I think I was partially in shock of the win, having lost so many times in the past.

The 54 year deal had a lot to do with the build up to that series. After all was over I remember fans chanting "1994" in mock of the 1940 chants.

That team will always be my favorite, but these guys are great.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers bring back the Cup--the reception in New York is just going to be huge. It was awe inspiring in 1994--the ticker tape parade down the canyon of heroes. It doesn't get much better than that.

Back then--the Devils series pushed us right to the very edge. Down 3 games to 2 and down 2-0 late in the 2nd period of game 6 and not looking good at all. Richter kept us in it or it would have been all over. He was spectacular. The Devils were all over us those first two periods. Then Kovalev got a late second period goal and Messier took over in the third. If it weren't for Mikey--Messier would have egg on over his face for calling that game beforehand. Hat trick for Messier or not Richter was the real star of that game.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My Ranger memories go back to 1958 and I was a season ticket holder in the blueseats for the entire Francis era.

While on a camping trip to Newfoundland in the early 90s, I remember a conversation with some local residents where I said that, in jest, I used to say that I expected to go through my entire life without ever seeing the Rangers win the Cup but now that I was in my 40s, it wasnt a joke any more.

The two month run to the Cup was the longest two months of my life. There was a sense of desperation about it. We were the best team in the league and the feeling was that if it wasnt this year, it would never happen. The tension was unbearable. Each time they lost, or even gave up a goal, the depression was overwhelming, my feeling being, well thats it, its over.

Waking up on June 14th, by the way my son's 11th birthday, he is a regular poster here, I knew that it would be one of the happiest or saddest days of my life.

So for me, it doesnt compare. This run is so unexpected that there is a joy about it that wasn't there in 94. Not that there isn't tension, because there is.....but its different.

In 72, we rolled into the finals after sweeping the Hawks and demolishing them in game 4. I remember the euphoria leaving the Garden that night, but I had no expectation of beating the Orr/Espo Bruins, especially without Ratelle.

In 79 we were up against one of the greatest teams of all time, but the feeling of beating and upsetting the emerging Islanders was almost as good as winning the Cup. But then we beat the Habs in game 1 and had a 2-0 lead in game 2. But as JD had said, the Rangers lost evey period, every shift after that.

In 72 and 79, I didnt think to much about not having won the Cup in 32 and 39 years. In 94, the 54 year thing was paramount.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Not as crazy as '94. The city was nuts back been, the Rangers were everything, everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

I was living on Long Island at the time and was surrounded by Islander fans. Strange though, after the Rangers won I remember walking the streets around the house with my wife and there were tons of people walking around celebrating in the streets...converted for one night at least. I think I was partially in shock of the win, having lost so many times in the past.

The 54 year deal had a lot to do with the build up to that series. After all was over I remember fans chanting "1994" in mock of the 1940 chants.

That team will always be my favorite, but these guys are great.

Yeah, I would have to agree that the craziness and anticipation of '94 is not being felt as much at this point. I would also say that the 54 year drought had a lot to do with it. And let's not forget that Ranger hysteria was at its peak EVEN with the Knicks having the run that they were having. It really felt like the Rangers run was slightly edging out the Knicks run with regards to media coverage and discussions on WFAN on a local level. On a national level, the NHL's main network in the U.S. was ESPN, a channel that every household in America knows where to find and never has to ask "what number is that channel" like they do with NBCSN (formerly known as OLN and VS). Add to that the SI cover story on whether the NHL is now about the surpass the NBA's popularity, and it's quite evident that the '94 Cup Run had a HUGE impact.

Hypothetically, I wonder if this year's Knicks were also on a Championship Run, would the Rangers be able to compete media-wise? I don't think it would be ignored, but definitely don't think it would one up the Knicks hysteria that would be felt. Just my opinion.

I do believe that the NHL really welcomes this opportunity of seeing the Rangers hoisting the Cup as a way to really bounce back after three different lockouts in the last 20 years, one that cost the NHL an entire season. I still remember so many people in 2005, after the lockout and the start of the new season, saying "do people still watch hockey?" The league has not done the best job of promoting its product since '94 when the iron was hot but the NHL not only did not strike it, but dropped the hammer in the process.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The long drought had the city aching foe the cup. But with the President's trophy and the deadline deals it felt like it was destiny. We steamrolled the first two rounds and were set to face the devils, and I expected another easy win since we stomped NJ 6-0 in the regular season.

That series being one of the best in NHL history had the team under the country's microscope.

So now, no huge cup drought. The team caught everyone by surprise so the hype is almost nil.

20 years is huge enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad