OT: "Older" fans: how does the atmosphere/build-up in NY compare to '94?

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
It's been mentioned in this thread before but it truly was a different time. I was in grade school at the time and kids were more socially interactive and imaginative. We'd play hockey outside on a regular basis imagining we were Graves, Leetch (and growing up in NJ some kids were Niedermayer, Stevens, etc). There was just less to do and the self-importance/projection existent in the internet generation wasn't even on the horizon.

The 94 run was just magical for me, but what got me was how much my dad was into it. This was a guy that was a huge basketball fan and to my knowledge had never turned on a hockey game at our house in my life. All of the sudden it was all Rangers, all the time and he was living and dying with every shift. We were both enthralled.

For me this time around has been special in a different way - I've sat by the same group of STH's for 8 or 9 years now...being at Game 6 with them was the highlight of my sports fan life, and one of the best moments of my life period (I am not yet married or a father). It was nice to experience it with them, especially since I'd consider a few of them family.

And yeah in '94 we expected to win it so this is a different approach in that regard. However once the puck drops you're going to see things really turn up around here. I can't wait! LGR

VTPete22

May 13, 2013
New York
It's been mentioned in this thread before but it truly was a different time. I was in grade school at the time and kids were more socially interactive and imaginative. We'd play hockey outside on a regular basis imagining we were Graves, Leetch (and growing up in NJ some kids were Niedermayer, Stevens, etc). There was just less to do and the self-importance/projection existent in the internet generation wasn't even on the horizon.

The 94 run was just magical for me, but what got me was how much my dad was into it. This was a guy that was a huge basketball fan and to my knowledge had never turned on a hockey game at our house in my life. All of the sudden it was all Rangers, all the time and he was living and dying with every shift. We were both enthralled.

For me this time around has been special in a different way - I've sat by the same group of STH's for 8 or 9 years now...being at Game 6 with them was the highlight of my sports fan life, and one of the best moments of my life period (I am not yet married or a father). It was nice to experience it with them, especially since I'd consider a few of them family.

And yeah in '94 we expected to win it so this is a different approach in that regard. However once the puck drops you're going to see things really turn up around here. I can't wait! LGR

Your post pretty much echos what I remember about the '94 run. I was also in grade school at the time and before the internet boom kids used to go outside to play (occasionally we would play a game of NHL94 on Sega Genesis inside). I lived on a dead end which was perfect for my friends and I to play roller hockey on. Like you and your friends, we all would fancy ourselves to be the Rangers at the time (since I was a big kid, I always pretended to be Jeff Beukeboom).

I also played ice hockey at that time, and during the early 90's got a chance to meet some of the Rangers when they would come to visit the summer hockey camp that I attended. Somewhere in my parents house sits my old stick with Nemchinov's and Zubov's autograph on it.

I did get an awesome Christmas present from my cousin that year, which was tickets for my Dad and I to see a game vs. the Islanders at the Coliseum in either February or March. I vividly remember the conflicting chants of '1940' from the Isles fans and 'Potvin Sucks' chants from the Rangers fans. I believe Zubov blasted a PPG past Hextall that proved to be the game winner.

IMO, I would have to say that this years run really doesn't compare to the run in '94. Like others have said, the Rangers dominated not only the sports news, but the national news as well (until OJ came along). Maybe it's due to the fact that the NHL is no longer on ESPN, but this year it seems like the NBA playoffs, California Chrome's possible Triple Crown, and boring regular season baseball seem to be more at the forefront. I would also say that '94 sticks out more because then the common person was able to afford to go to a few games a year and get decent seats, nowadays unfortunately I feel that you have to take out a second mortgage to go.

Last edited:

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
I was in my early 20's back in 94 and it was a different time with the whole 1940 and 54 year drought. I think there was more pressure then being the favorite compared to this year and we also had an unquestionable leader in Messier and the best D in the game in Leetch. The 94 Rangers rolled through the first two rounds with little push back before they met their toughest test in the Devils where this year they were challenged each series. As for the Garden I believe it was consistently louder back then. Game 6 last round was the closest it came to the top 4 games back then. Our family has had season tickets since 1979 and I will be going to Game 3 & Game 4 so hopefully I will have a change of heart. Also, in 1994 once we got by the Devils I had no question we would ultimately win the cup. I cant say that this year......LGR!!!!!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
speaking of '94, they showed game 7 against the Canucks on MSG last night. Funny, I can probably re-enact the last couple minutes of that game. Was at a bar on 30th and 2nd watching with a ton of people and recall those last two minutes feeling like an hour. Kept remembering JD saying, on a couple occasions when the ref called icing, "he stopped skating", and Larmer's reaction to an icing, and Graves throwing his gloves to the right when he came on the ice (and in the video yelling "1940"). and Sam's call. Sam said it would last a lifetime, and it will. For me, it would be tough to top that, but here's to hoping these Rangers give those same memories to those who were too young for the last go-around, and another one for those too old to remember the last one, and all us in between!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Legend...

the pressure was immense, even after a dud of a season the year before, and was magnified by the trade deadline moves. Oddly enough, it was a season of destiny. I recall it beginning in the first practice. Drills weren't going well. Players weren't focused and Keenan grabs a stick and breaks it over the crossbar. That got everyone's attention. Then to England for a series in preseason, which they won two games to take that cup (against Toronto?). Then they sat atop the standings all season long. Rarely losing focus. There were cracks here and there, but they came back. They breeze through the first couple rounds, and I mean breeze, get slowed by the Devils and taken to the limit by the Canucks. Great season of hockey. Best I can remember.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Aren't they used to it by now? Thats the thing that gets me about basketball, very little parity.

Theres like 5 or 6 NBA teams that have won the championship in the past 25 years. Compare that to any other major sport and its laughable.

You should see people's faces when they ask me 1 of 2 questions

1- "Are you watching the Heat tonight"
2- " Are you rooting for the Heat"

I love crushing souls. hahahahahah

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
the pressure was immense, even after a dud of a season the year before, and was magnified by the trade deadline moves. Oddly enough, it was a season of destiny. I recall it beginning in the first practice. Drills weren't going well. Players weren't focused and Keenan grabs a stick and breaks it over the crossbar. That got everyone's attention. Then to England for a series in preseason, which they won two games to take that cup (against Toronto?). Then they sat atop the standings all season long. Rarely losing focus. There were cracks here and there, but they came back. They breeze through the first couple rounds, and I mean breeze, get slowed by the Devils and taken to the limit by the Canucks. Great season of hockey. Best I can remember.

I've watched hockey in general and the Rangers specifically for 53 years. The two greatest playoffs series were the 94 Rangers vs. Devils and this year's Kings vs. Hawks. In 94, when I still had my season tickets, the Rangers were expected to win. However, the finals were a seven game grueling bloodbath. This year we are a decided underdog. I fully expect another grueling series. I expect the same result for the Rangers with Lundqvist forever establishing his Ranger legacy. Rangers in 6 with Hank winning the Conn Symthe trophy! The Kings can't and won't sustain their physicality after the Hawk series

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I was only 10 in 1994, but I remember there being more local TV/radio/newspaper coverage (I'm in Central NJ).... a lot of my friends and parents' friends were h-u-g-e Flyer fans, so I remember the bitterness.

VTPete22

May 13, 2013
New York
speaking of '94, they showed game 7 against the Canucks on MSG last night. Funny, I can probably re-enact the last couple minutes of that game. Was at a bar on 30th and 2nd watching with a ton of people and recall those last two minutes feeling like an hour. Kept remembering JD saying, on a couple occasions when the ref called icing, "he stopped skating", and Larmer's reaction to an icing, and Graves throwing his gloves to the right when he came on the ice (and in the video yelling "1940"). and Sam's call. Sam said it would last a lifetime, and it will. For me, it would be tough to top that, but here's to hoping these Rangers give those same memories to those who were too young for the last go-around, and another one for those too old to remember the last one, and all us in between!

Caught that replay on MSG last night as well. Amazing that after 20 years was able to remember approximately when each team was about to score and the 'icings' in the last minute and MacTavish tying up the Canucks center on the final face-off. Sam's call was pure gold (not to mention how much I realize I miss JD in the booth with him). It's a damn shame that if we pull it off this year, we will get a generic call from Doc.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
MacTavish did have a nice set of hair back then...best in the league in '94! He was traded for to win faceoffs...guess that trade went over well!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Atmosphere in New York

Hi Everyone, I just wanted know what kind of Atmosphere it is in New York, regarding the New York Rangers and NHL? Are the people into or they just yeah whatever? Are the sports channels and Sports Radios talking about the Rangers and NHL playoffs? Are the Local news channels and New papers giving them any coverage?

Thanks.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Rangers and the NHL are front and center. Basketball and baseball are playing second fiddle. The news can't stop talking about the Stanley Cup finals. Every music station adds snippets about the Rangers. People are donning red, white, blue; from the most hardcore fan, to the casual, to the bandwagoner.

Newspapers used to just have a small article about the Rangers in the sports section whenever they played. In the Playoffs? Front and back page coverage. Multiple pages talking about the Rangers. For the finals, the Daily News gave a 28 page Stanley Cup preview.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm not sure if being around to remember 1994 really qualifies you as an 'older' fan, but it's twenty years ago now, and a large portion of the fan base--particularly here on the internet--was too young to experience the Rangers' last cup appearance.

As somebody who was born just months after Messier lifted the cup, my question is:

How does the overall atmosphere/hype in the metropolitan area surrounding the team right now compare to '94? In the press, at your local bar, on the streets, etc.

My father always told me that the entire city of New York was absolutely Rangers-crazy in '94. Jerseys everywhere, talk and pride of the city, local media couldn't get enough. Perhaps he was overstating it, but I'm not sure I'm seeing that level of excitement yet, especially amongst New Yorkers who generally aren't hockey fans.

Is it too early? Or am I just expecting too much? How does it compare for you?

I think it was completely different in that the Rangers of 93-94 were THE BEST team in the league.

They basically went coast to coast in first place during the season and heading into the playoffs the prevailing thought was this is awesome, yet always knowing in the back of your head "1940"

However, after the complete undressing of the Islanders in 4, then making quick work of the Caps in 5, then facing a team (Devils) that we had swept the full 6 games during the Reg Season came and after going down 3-2 headed to NJ, I think alot of fans felt that the Dragon was back.

Once we got past the Devils, I think this city was insane and ready to witness a Stanley Cup. The Rangers were the best team in the league. Canucks were not in the same stratosphere. Rangers had scored 20 more goals than Vancouver and given up 45 less goals. Had McLean not stolen game one, this would have and should have been a sweep.

I think the build up for that team due to the "Curse" was greater than what we are seeing today.

There was so much to overcome back then.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think it was completely different in that the Rangers of 93-94 were THE BEST team in the league.

They basically went coast to coast in first place during the season and heading into the playoffs the prevailing thought was this is awesome, yet always knowing in the back of your head "1940"

However, after the complete undressing of the Islanders in 4, then making quick work of the Caps in 5, then facing a team (Devils) that we had swept the full 6 games during the Reg Season came and after going down 3-2 headed to NJ, I think alot of fans felt that the Dragon was back.

Once we got past the Devils, I think this city was insane and ready to witness a Stanley Cup. The Rangers were the best team in the league. Canucks were not in the same stratosphere. Rangers had scored 20 more goals than Vancouver and given up 45 less goals. Had McLean not stolen game one, this would have and should have been a sweep.

I think the build up for that team due to the "Curse" was greater than what we are seeing today.

There was so much to overcome back then.

Exactly. The Curse/1940, an upstart neighbor that dragged them through a tough 7 game series, giving up late goals with a lead, underestimating a solid Vancouver team, rumors of your coach leaving the team...and did I say 1940???

Previous Ranger teams couldn't shoulder the burden the 1994 team did. This is why that championship will last a lifetime.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
great points, PLD and Jackson...but again, at least for me, being 25 at the time is also a real difference. I was able to pay attention to hockey a lot more then than now, and that was without the Internet, NHL Center Ice, etc. And the sport was a bit different. There was a guy without a helmet. A ref without a helmet (and both had really nice hair). Everything was different; simpler. Not saying better, but different, which is what made it feel different. Now we will see ex Rangers at these finals and they're in their late 40s/early 50s. Weird! And from what I'm hearing now, it's getting nuts. Hearing girls who don't know the game going out and buying gear before going to bars tonight. It's going to be a fun series; the Rangers better come through.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
For me, I was really just a kid the first time around, but I was old enough to "get it" in terms of most things, and I definitely understood what was happening with the Rangers. In 1994, Adam Graves ended up being a sort of tangential friend of the family for a bit due to circumstances that just happened to work out that way. So, I was very invested in the cup for a kid of my age in that I had an extra reason to cheer the Rangers on. It wasn't just a New York team that my brother liked, it was also Graves' job, and the job of all his friends. We weren't super tight really, but we'd spoken a few times, and I knew who he was, and he was just insanely nice and classy in every interaction, so I wanted him to win.

This time around, I'm also very engaged in the chase but for totally different reasons. Don't have any interaction with Graves anymore, but I get the game and the team and the league so much more, and that changes everything.

In terms of build-up, it's hard to compare because I was young the first time and my world was so small. However, it seemed like the Rangers were HUGE for a while. Absolutely huge. Everyone you spoke to for any real length of time would mention them - kids, adults, friends, strangers, whoever. Then, when they won, the classic "now I can die in peace" shirts were everywhere, along with the hats and the jerseys of Messier, Graves, Leetch, etc.

Does the bolded actually not happen now, though? Speaking for myself, I'm not near that age kind of doubt that there aren't kids out there in the street pretending to be McDonagh or Richards or whoever.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sam said it would last a lifetime, and it will. For me, it would be tough to top that, but here's to hoping these Rangers give those same memories to those who were too young for the last go-around, and another one for those too old to remember the last one, and all us in between!
I do not think that anything will top '94. At least there had better not be. Because if there is another 54 year drought......

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Hi Everyone, I just wanted know what kind of Atmosphere it is in New York, regarding the New York Rangers and NHL? Are the people into or they just yeah whatever? Are the sports channels and Sports Radios talking about the Rangers and NHL playoffs? Are the Local news channels and New papers giving them any coverage?

Thanks.

It's surprisingly quiet. You see Ranger hats and jerseys being worn by some people around here, but for the most part it's the same robotic look from people going about their daily grind. Sports radio around here is terrible. It's all basebore and football talk, even NOW. Hockey gets a little air time, but the hosts ALWAYS turn the hockey talk into basebore or football analogies, then go off on tangents about those sports.

Thanks god for places like this that discuss nothing BUT hockey. :handclap::)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad