Speculation: Old Usernames

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Yeah pretty sure he posted something weeks back and acknowledged that he doesn't come around much anymore. He also used to be Sting36e IIRC.

I'm surprised he's not back now that we are terrible again. He struck me as an "HFBoards is my therapy" poster. No better place to vent your anger about the Rangers perpetual futility or Sather's cigar chomping arrogance than HF.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm surprised he's not back now that we are terrible again. He struck me as an "HFBoards is my therapy" poster. No better place to vent your anger about the Rangers perpetual futility or Sather's cigar chomping arrogance than HF.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that a lot of old timers came in during the dark period. This board was the place to go to vent during the end of the Neil Smith/initial Sather fun.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I don’t think it’s coincidence that a lot of old timers came in during the dark period. This board was the place to go to vent during the end of the Neil Smith/initial Sather fun.

Yeah and it wasn't a coincidence that we lost a lot of them as the Rangers became less of a joke post '05 lockout and the board starting picking up posters that were too young to remember the cup or the post cup disaster times.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So wait, Rivals was a different site? I thought it was HF Rivals. If Rivals was something different, then I guess I was there before HF. Once I found HF I didn't post anywhere else.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
So wait, Rivals was a different site? I thought it was HF Rivals. If Rivals was something different, then I guess I was there before HF. Once I found HF I didn't post anywhere else.

I feel like posters called the crew that came over from Rivals “HF Rivals” but I’m pretty sure they were separate sites.

Reactions: klingsor

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Yes, it was. It was actually called something else before Rivals. That's where Laches came from, and @pld459666 was there, too.

Reactions: nyr2k2

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I came from the RFC Graffiti Wall as Evil Sather along with a bunch of others. In case anyone was wondering, Larry Brooks was lifting from that place even back then, as I made a crack about GlenRon during the Low tenure and 2 f***ing days later he had the same reference in the Post. Thanks a lot Uncle Larry.

If any of you were Despo I've always meant to ask about your big beefy LW fetish.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I came from the RFC Graffiti Wall as Evil Sather along with a bunch of others. In case anyone was wondering, Larry Brooks was lifting from that place even back then, as I made a crack about GlenRon during the Low tenure and 2 ****ing days later he had the same reference in the Post. Thanks a lot Uncle Larry.

If any of you were Despo I've always meant to ask about your big beefy LW fetish.

Many came over from RFC and half the game was trying to figure out who they use to be (or at least guessing wrong). I thought Larry Melnyk was Hospo from RFC.

I'd also start a kickstarter to make JOrts and Bernmeister co-GMs of the Devils

Out of damn time machine, I had NO IDEA RFC was still a thing, let alone nothing has changed:
The Ranger Fan Central Graffiti Wall | New York Rangers Fans

@jas
jas's Profile

Favorite Ranger(s) (past and/or present)Gilbert, Park, Greschner, Don Murdoch, the Almighty Four, Alex Kovalev, and hopefully Jamie Lundmark and Pavel Brendl
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I didn't even see this and mentioned Melrose just a couple of minutes ago, my bad.

I though both Edge and True Blue left. Them and Jon were the last of the old guard before us that remained consistently around here. Klingsor like I said pops up but he's very intermittent with posting and beyond that, who is really around anymore that was going back to when the boards first started in 02 or whatever?

I was here from the very first post (on the original Hockey's Future message board--it blew up or something and had to be restarted). Before that Rivals and before that Gameday? I think it might have had another name before that too. I wanted to be Tex's Ranger but one of the poster's there was Texas Ranger so....

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Hockey's Future is an entirely different site--Rivals dropped the message boards not long after HF got started (I want to say sometime in 2000 or 2001),-then they had to reset the boards for some reason on Feb 27, 2002.

I remember we had a discussion on Rivals about where to go-most of us ended up here.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Darth is still around. But, Potted Plant is one from the past.

BTW, I’ve encountered a bunch of posters who came from different boards. I first encountered Laches at Rivals. I think Davisian was there, too. LarryMelnyk, RB, (where he was RangerMan) and @Ola all posted at RFC Graffiti Wall. (A couple of others, @E-Train, I think, also did, but, I can’t confirm). @Levitate, @Pizza and I think @DutchShamrock all posted at another Ranger board that I can’t remember the name of. And @Inferno , @Kovalev27 and @Leetch3 also posted regularly at another board I was on from like 2005 on.

Yeah, there are some RFC posters lurking around there too, I am not sure whos who though. ;)

I clearly remember my first "post" online, it was after we drafted Johan Witehall in 98'. I liked him in the SHL back then and googled (Altavista'd) my way to some place that discussed NYR. Canoe was popular back then I think but it was so messy. I don't think that place was the RFC though (allsports?), but the posters from whatever place that post was made on moved on to RFC. There were some email groups also.

The NYR section of Hfboards had a bit of a bad reputation back then, a lot of posters pretending to follow prospects that they obviously didn't and so forth, people pretended to have inside info, you know that athmosphere. I stayed a away from hfboards for a long time but started posting after we drafted Lundqvist mostly because it was so much easier to provide updates that people wanted to read in a thread format as opposed to the wall format at RFC. RFC is still a great place though. There are regulary remarks here that certain reporters 'obviously reads hfboards', I am not sure about that, but I do know that certain reporter does follow the RFC and certain posters there reads hfboards of course so info spills over, but...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Many came over from RFC and half the game was trying to figure out who they use to be (or at least guessing wrong). I thought Larry Melnyk was Hospo from RFC.

I'd also start a kickstarter to make JOrts and Bernmeister co-GMs of the Devils

Out of damn time machine, I had NO IDEA RFC was still a thing, let alone nothing has changed:
The Ranger Fan Central Graffiti Wall | New York Rangers Fans

@jas
jas's Profile

Hahaha, yeah NOTHING has changed over there. Nah it has, people -- litterary -- used to set dates to take it off the board and fight. I don't think fists were ever thrown, but it did came close.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I came from the RFC Graffiti Wall as Evil Sather along with a bunch of others. In case anyone was wondering, Larry Brooks was lifting from that place even back then, as I made a crack about GlenRon during the Low tenure and 2 ****ing days later he had the same reference in the Post. Thanks a lot Uncle Larry.

Haha, I feel betrayed by Despo. He at least 5-6 mornings a week posted long posts on everything and everything for a good 5-10 years in a row. Then he got engaged and stopped posting over night. Have dropped by at RFC like once every 5th year since...

Reactions: jas

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hockey's Future is an entirely different site--Rivals dropped the message boards not long after HF got started (I want to say sometime in 2000 or 2001),-then they had to reset the boards for some reason on Feb 27, 2002.

I remember we had a discussion on Rivals about where to go-most of us ended up here.
That's crazy to me, because if you've seen my posts in various threads over the years talking about the old days, I referenced Rivals and HF being one in the same. I literally don't remember it being anything different, but I guess I at least read the boards at Rivals if not participated directly. I thought I started on HF. HF was supposed to be my first drug. :laugh: It's been a long time.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Hahaha, yeah NOTHING has changed over there. Nah it has, people -- litterary -- used to set dates to take it off the board and fight. I don't think fists were ever thrown, but it did came close.
I never posted at RFC but did browse up until around the lockout. I remember there was a poster claiming to be a MMA fighter setting those dates to fight.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Damn. Remember when internet and dial up were so new. Now old hockey websites are a reminder of how old you are.

Actually forgot I was also " an Girar i" for several months here.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
That's crazy to me, because if you've seen my posts in various threads over the years talking about the old days, I referenced Rivals and HF being one in the same. I literally don't remember it being anything different, but I guess I at least read the boards at Rivals if not participated directly. I thought I started on HF. HF was supposed to be my first drug. :laugh: It's been a long time.

I remember a group from Rivals all landing here at the same time.

It was a very friendly and educational invasion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad