Pre-Game Talk: Old-Time Hockey Reunion - Habs v. Leafs on Saturday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
big game, big periods, big drinks

this game is huge, Habs are just a point back, yes figs have games in hand,
but the habs get no credit for their run this season, figs are glorified , and yet we are right behind them, lol

it will kill CBC tonight , if habs win,

Reactions: McTusk and Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Shaw with Tatar and Domi. That could be a solid line.

So with Chaput and Hudon also in the line-up tonight, I think Agostino will be placed on waivers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
big game, big periods, big drinks

this game is huge, Habs are just a point back, yes figs have games in hand,
but the habs get no credit for their run this season, figs are glorified , and yet we are right behind them, lol

I'll be honest, I really only chose to participate in this thread to see if you'd be using the "figs" moniker for the Leafs.

I don't even know what it means. :laugh:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That 4th line needs serious work.
Hudon and Chaput would be eaten alive in a playoff series. Habs need mobile yet strong forechecking players and someone who can win faceoffs.

Getting Dale Weise back in my mind is a good option. He embraces the spotlight, has some offensive skills, can skate and hit. A deal around him and Schlemko would be ideal (two disappointing players with 1 year left on their contracts)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hudon and Chaput would be eaten alive in a playoff series. Habs need mobile yet strong forechecking players and someone who can win faceoffs.

Getting Dale Weise back in my mind is a good option. He embraces the spotlight, has some offensive skills, can skate and hit. A deal around him and Schlemko would be ideal (two disappointing players with 1 year left on their contracts)

I wouldn't be opposed to a returning Dale Weise. The guy can skate and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

Both he and Schlemko have been disappointing for their respective teams. Both have a year left on their deal after this season. Both about the same cap hit (Schlemko @ $2.1M and Weise @ $2.3M).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Or Alzner goes back, he's still around I think.

Yes. But he with him, they're 7D. Whereas they have 14F. So logically, I would think a forward will be placed on waivers. That way, the team still carries and extra defenseman and an extra forward. I doubt they'd place Byron on IR since he's day-to-day.

And I think Agostino goes because he's been scratched the last handful of games, whereas Peca CJ has preferred Peca over him.

Of course, I could be wrong.

P.S. Alzner will require waivers again to be sent down. But that isn't much of anything since we know he'd clear.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hasn't Shaw played center before? Why not just put him at 4th line center?

He was the 4C often last year. But I think CJ wants to adjust his Top-6 since neither Peca or Hudon did much of anything in Byron's and Tatar's absences. Shaw was having a career year before his injury in Dallas playing alongside Domi (and Drouin). So I think CJ (and I) feels Shaw in the Top-6 is an upgrade.

And of course, he won't be breaking up 92-24-11 or 62-15-40.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
At the same time, given that we're at home for a little while, I'm think I'd rather drop the lesser asset (Alzner) down and then call a D from Laval if I need one than risk losing Agostino who wasn't all bad while he was here while evaluating where I'm at with Hudon/Peca/Chaput/D-Lo/Agostino.

Only pushing back the inevitable though, Byron will return soon and that means that a decision has to be made. Sending somebody down or a trade.

I'd try to accomodate Hudon, even for a late pick.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
All these guys from the olden days, there was a melodic quality to their voices. They didn't just make calls, but a form of music.

My favorite description of a broadcaster's delivery has always been when the words "dulcet tones" are associated with Dave Van Horne. Well, Bob Cole's calls also deserve an appropriate branding.

I would say that his voice just melded with the flow of the game, it had a commanding yet unintrusive presence. He fits right in there in an exclusive club that features Foster Hewitt, Dick Irvin, René Lecavalier and maybe a couple of others. Talk about rarefied air.
I may be biased, but I still think Danny Gallivan was the best. His calling a game was like story telling. No one could articulate and blend the action on the ice with such gems as : Savardian Spinorama, Cannonading drive (boulette canon:laugh:), scintillating save, and more. There was never any dead air when he was calling the game.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Hello Habs fans. I am really looking forward to this game. With MTL 1 point behind us I expect this to be a playoff atmosphere game. Should bring out the best of both teams. This is what hockey is all about.

I cannot wish you guys goodluck tonight, but I haven’t been more excited for a classic leafs vs habs game in a long time.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

I don’t have a French option tonight and can never sink up the radio properly. Will probably watch this on a mute with CBC being the only option, much like I would if they met in the playoffs.

Jul 6, 2016

Shaw with Tatar and Domi. That could be a solid line.

So with Chaput and Hudon also in the line-up tonight, I think Agostino will be placed on waivers.

With Weise around, Agostino gonna be placed on waivers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad