Confirmed with Link: Okposo traded to FLA for Calle Sjalin and conditional 2024 7th

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Those were teams retaining because cap space had to be retained to allow the trade to happen because the receiving team did not have enough cap space otherwise! The Panthers do not need the cap space!
I think if we offer EJ to CHI and say we will retain 50% then we can get a 2nd Round Pick instead of a 7th, because they could use the extra cap space.

• Haha
Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If you are saying their owner won't spend on retentions and this is the best they can do, fine. I don't blame GMKA for anything. He wasn't the guy who said he would dig another well. And essentially, spending money in some of these situations incrementally adds value. A ton? No. But professional franchises look for every edge. Buffalo is poorly run and is now being done on the cheap. With two hours left, the optimist in me says GMKA is holding that cap for better use.

Yep. Will they using any of their cap room today?

I don't think Pegula is going to spend anything other than what he has to. He mismanaged the team into this spot and now he's cutting his losses.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If you are saying their owner won't spend on retentions and this is the best they can do, fine. I don't blame GMKA for anything. He wasn't the guy who said he would dig another well. And essentially, spending money in some of these situations incrementally adds value. A ton? No. But professional franchises look for every edge. Buffalo is poorly run and is now being done on the cheap. With two hours left, the optimist in me says GMKA is holding that cap for better use.

Yep. Will they using any of their cap room today?

But you're kind of speaking out both sides of your mouth..complaining Pegula won't retain because he is cheap and then crying thr overpay of Okposo, Girgensons, Jost and EJ

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
I still don’t know
Does he help the Americans ?

We were not going to get much of a return on this one
1. Not really. Another body? If anything he continues the trend of hoarding left handed shots and maybe increases the Swedish population of Rochester by 11%

2. Yeah, I figure they asked Kyle where he'd like to wind down and we got what we got.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think Pegula is going to spend anything other than what he has to. He mismanaged the team into this spot and now he's cutting his losses.

I think you are right. He is so unpredictable and really who has a clear line of sight to his thought process. No one in the Buffalo media. Kevyn Adam's best asset could be his ability to manage Pegula. That is no small thing if he can keep him clear of bad deals and talk him into small, meaningful moves. As I have said elsewhere, I believe that, given the circumstances and ownership, Adams is doing a good job. It's black box how much influence Pegula has on anything, includuing even the coaching staff.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
1. Not really. Another body? If anything he continues the trend of hoarding left handed shots and maybe increases the Swedish population of Rochester by 11%

2. Yeah, I figure they asked Kyle where he'd like to wind down and we got what we got.
Zucker got a 6th.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
But you're kind of speaking out both sides of your mouth..complaining Pegula won't retain because he is cheap and then crying thr overpay of Okposo, Girgensons, Jost and EJ

Not at all. Pegula has been wreckless on payments for guys like Leino for his tenure and suddenly changes course and demands a guy like O'Reilly be traded one day before his $7 M bonus is due which really hurt trade value.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Not at all. Pegula has been wreckless on payments for guys like Leino for his tenure and suddenly changes course and demands a guy like O'Reilly be traded one day before his $7 M bonus is due which really hurt trade value.

You're talking about moves like 6 or 7 years apart where this is a matter of the same season

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I’m not defending all the shit this organisation does, but they don’t have to add disrespecting your elders to that list. Let’s be fair, what is the most we could’ve got for Okposo? I don’t think the difference between what we got, and what we could’ve got turns the dial at all on anything for this team.

This was a decision for someone at the end of their career with over 1000 games played.

I don’t disagree at all with your take.

I disagree with the Sabres having Okposo on this team to begin with. I wish the trade happened a few years back and the Sabres went in a different direction back then.

With saying that, good luck moving forward, Kyle.

Different circumstances. KO never demanded a trade, claimed he didn't, then poo-pooed the fans because we weren't fawning over him and lamenting our loss when he returned.

Looking back on the Eichel saga and the way this organization is run, I don’t blame him a bit for forcing his way out. The franchise is ran worse than the neighbor kids lemonade stand.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I don’t disagree at all with your take.

I disagree with the Sabres having Okposo on this team to begin with. I wish the trade happened a few years back and the Sabres went in a different direction back then.

With saying that, good luck moving forward, Kyle.

Looking back on the Eichel saga and the way this organization is run, I don’t blame him a bit for forcing his way out. The franchise is ran worse than the neighbor kids lemonade stand.
I am not looking to debate the eichel trade again, and i am sure you aren't either. I will say that the eichel trade request came in before his injury where pegula was petty af and denied his surgery. Ownership absolutely mishandled that situation, but from a fan perspective the KO and Eichel trades are not analogous.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I am not looking to debate the eichel trade again, and i am sure you aren't either. I will say that the eichel trade request came in before his injury where pegula was petty af and denied his surgery. Ownership absolutely mishandled that situation, but from a fan perspective the KO and Eichel trades are not analogous.
It was the teams Drs that wanted the proven surgery over the unproven one, Pegula wouldnt have a say in medical procedures.

Reactions: Dingo44

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
It was the teams Drs that wanted the proven surgery over the unproven one, Pegula wouldnt have a say in medical procedures.
I thought since his money paid the bills (no pun intended har har har) he could make that call. Interesting if that's not the case as insiders and hockey media reported it that way.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I thought since his money paid the bills (no pun intended har har har) he could make that call. Interesting if that's not the case as insiders and hockey media reported it that way.
I think the discussion money wise would have revolved around the insurance of the contract.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Good riddance. I'm so glad I don't have to watch him play hockey for the Sabres anymore.

He'd be universally reviled among Sabres fans and considered one of the major villains of the drought if not for all the sympathy he garnered because of his near death medical problem and recovery.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Good riddance. I'm so glad I don't have to watch him play hockey for the Sabres anymore.

He'd be universally reviled among Sabres fans and considered one of the major villains of the drought if not for all the sympathy he garnered because of his near death medical problem and recovery.

I never wish any of these guys bad but I don't have any emotional attachment. I'm glad he played again but Okposo is slow as hell these days. And they made him captain which meant he got more playing time than he deserved. I'm good with him being gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad