Confirmed with Link: Okposo traded to FLA for Calle Sjalin and conditional 2024 7th

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Get ready for replies that they don't want their GM to be a nice guy and need to get somebody who realizes it's a business.

Even though 2 days ago Casey Mittelstadt was under the impression he'd be talking contract with the Sabres after the deadline.

I like the deal for Casey but I have no idea how you wouldn't get an idea on contract needs before the deadline unless you realized you were never keeping him.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

This guy has always been such an idiot and a clown

I could care less whether he saluted the fans. I have no issues with Okposo. Sabres paid him $42 Million got limited value and then gave him $2.5 M this year as some type of reward. It's not Okposo's fault Sabres are bad at contracts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They gave him $2.5 M. It's a business. You take the best deal. Keep the country club going. Florida has $300 K in cap room. Eat half the cap hit, and his trade value would have gone up. Let's see if Buffalo uses any of their cap space at the deadline.

For a team that's had years of building up a reputation of being shitty toward their players, they have an opportunity to give a respected guy a shot at being on a winner and you want to leverage that instead of trying to gain some cache as actually being a front office that does right by their players. Got it.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'm really happy for Okposo. He took a lot of crap for the contract he signed, went through a lot of crap relative to his health, emerged from that ordeal as a leader on a team going through a total rebuild, earned the respect of his teammates, and earned the respect of organizational leadership and many fans, myself among them. Along the way he earned respect across the league - as the deal could not have consummated without Florida willing to be a partner. Good for him.

Have to tip the hat to the Sabres organization for pulling off the deal. Shows a lot of class.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm just happy he's gone. His greatest merit as a captain is failing to make the playoffs by one point. Bye bye.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
well there is a new take. Let's assume he is "soft as baby shit." I think a near life ending concussion/brain infection might cause someone to be more discerning before they jump into a physical altercation. I mean, that's just my opinion. you do you.
I wanted him to retire years ago. Not for hockey reasons, but because I've seen what TBI can doto a person in the long term.

My only wish for Kyle is that he stays well through whenever he retires. He's a husband and a dad first.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Seems like they return is sort of immaterial here… I think they wanted to send him where he wanted to go, and since he was the captain, they just took what they could get. I think that’s fine as he’s probably not worth much more than that honestly!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Seems like they return is sort of immaterial here… I think they wanted to send him where he wanted to go, and since he was the captain, they just took what they could get. I think that’s fine as he’s probably not worth much more than that honestly!
Retaining some salary to get a 5th or 6th is not worth as much as the good will and what it says to potential free agents / players who would need to waive to approve a trade.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think this is his finale. He won't be back on the ice.
I don’t even want him in the organization. This organization needs a cleaning of the old, especially of the old that wasn’t successful.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
For a team that's had years of building up a reputation of being shitty toward their players, they have an opportunity to give a respected guy a shot at being on a winner and you want to leverage that instead of trying to gain some cache as actually being a front office that does right by their players. Got it.

I have heard this lame excuse so many times. Try winning. How do you win? Maximizing resources. There is also no reason he could not be traded to Florida, and the cap retained for more value. Pegula has spent two years under the cap. Retentions have not been used. Just some fluke. Let's see if uses any of the cap room today.

Retaining some salary to get a 5th or 6th is not worth as much as the good will and what it says to potential free agents / players who would need to waive to approve a trade.

You understand Florida has $300 K in cap room. How does it insult Okposo or hurt good will if we trade some cap room in a deal to boost the plck?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't care about the shit return. I mean...I do...but I can't do anything about it. I care even less about the organization doing right by the player...that's between them...I'm a fan of the team not one guy's happiness for three months. What has this ever gotten us? I'd trade Girgensons to the moon if it got me a better return. The primary job is to help the team. Never feels like it's top five.

What I care about is seeing if they'll retain salary on any of these dumps. You're taking money off the books even with retention. Literally you get to pay less money. More money for deckhands on the super yacht!

But there's a philosophical worry at the root of it for me. The whole Pegula doesn't want to pay people who don't work here anymore problem. Yes, it is annoying when they don't retain and returns aren't what they could be (or another team flips the same player a few weeks later for more because they retained salary and you wouldn't. WHICH HAPPENED). What's more worrisome is having a coach who is total shit with years left on his deal. Show me you will pay someone something and send them away. I'm begging you.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I have heard this lame excuse so many times. Try winning. How do you win? Maximizing resources. There is also no reason he could not be traded to Florida, and the cap retained for more value. Pegula has spent two years under the cap. Retentions have not been used. Just some fluke. Let's see if uses any of the cap room today.

You understand Florida has $300 K in cap room. How does it insult Okposo or hurt good will if we trade some cap room in a deal to boost the plck?
You really pick some incredibly stupid hills to die on.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I'm just happy he's gone. His greatest merit as a captain is failing to make the playoffs by one point. Bye bye.
He is been a captain for what? Two seasons? Through a rebuild? I think you are intentionally minimizing his role on our younger core. At least, i assume he did a lot more leading than, let's say Jack Eichel did. It's weird how many people are piling on this guy.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You have to be able to see the forest for the trees.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
It is hard to quantify Kyle's impact with the Sabres, perhaps even unfair to try.

It is very clear that he is a respected player in the locker room and around the league. He came to the rink with a smile on his face and led the team with honour and grace. I am certain everyone in the organization is better for their day to day interactions with him.

Even when he had little to give, he gave it all.

Before Jack left for Vegas, the room was described as toxic. Never heard that description after Kyle starting wearing the C.

How might things have been different if the organization made him the captain years before they did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad