Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win An Afternoon Game 4-0 The End Is Nigh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I very rarely do this but its one of those times. Pure salt in the Jackets thread and starting with the perfect "karma" post (which I liked) "We can't lose to this team" hahahaha

Not many moments like this, this season but I'll take them.

The other funny thing is Drasaitl just took their team completely apart all game, all 3 periods and "he's not that good, not even close to McDavid" lol, he was first star and deservedly so. Jackets fans don't watch hockey that well. That was a another legendary performance by Dr. Drai. I think they don't even follow how strong his NZ game was and how he was picking off passes for fun. 2 on one shift.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A few weeks ago this team was icing a D core with Manning/Benning/Petrovic of course the team was going to struggle the only way they weren't is by sheer luck an goaltending which never happened. I truly believe if Klefbom doesn't go down (he's starting to look like top 2 D Klef again) we would probably be in the wild card spot right now and that was without the huge addition Sekera has brought to the table. Sekera just in this game did little plays that Nurse just isn't heady enough to make and it helps the transition game so much because of it.
They still completely gave up as recently as two games ago.

Unless the team is entirely healthy on the back end AND they play their guts out they aren't going anywhere.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The issue is not the points that we are behind the last spot, although that is daunting in and of itself. It's the rather large group of teams that are between that spot and us. All those teams will be playing multiple games against each other, and someone is going to walk out with 2 points. There will also be hotly contested 3 pointers. It's one thing to make up 7 points on a team. Quite another to do it to several of them.
The teams we need to worry about are Colorado, Minnesota, Dallas and Arizona. Two of those teams are marred with injuries down the stretch. We could have a healthy gap between us and Vancouver by Thursday night.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every single time this board sleeps on Vancouver they end up beating us, lol. Don't pencil anything in just yet.

Reactions: RegDunlop

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I think it's time to celebrate with some pizza.
tIfs230.gif

Okay, I think I am done making GIFs for a while. Need to get some actual work done...

Edit: if anyone knows which game this penalty occurred please let me know. Want to clean up the GIF a bit.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Every single time this board sleeps on Vancouver they end up beating us, lol. Don't pencil anything in just yet.
I think most of us know how hard it will be to get in, close to impossible really.

Point is there is a chance if the team keeps playing like they have lately (minus periods 2-3 vs Toronto) and they get some results going their way. That was why I brought up the Wilds next 5 games which are extremely tough. If they go through them with a positive record I don't think it'll matter what the Oilers do. So yeah, it'll be tough even before counting in who we're facing off against.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I forgot to bet on the Oilers to win again. Was this a McDavid win or did the team play good?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That was the best game this team has played this season. It helped that Columbus played a very uninspired game.

That said the team did something in this game I havent see very much of this year...to a player they were completely engaged from the opening faceoff to the final buzzer.
That showed when an Oiler made a mistake...instead on compounding the mistake they put in the effort and took steps to correct it. Every time.
I have not seen that much at all this season.
Defensively the team plugged up entry lanes into their zone...plugged up passing lanes in the D zone and rarely gave Columbus 2nd and 3rd opportunities on net. Koskinen did what he was supposed to do when pucks did get through...he stopped them. He played a good game but the team in front of him played a very solid game and that made Koskinens afternoon much easier to manage.
That is how a team can make a goaltender look very good.

Great individual plays today (on more than 1 occasion) by many players but I would like to single out Nurse and Draisaitl. They stood out more than once today by making smart solid defensive plays.

The team wont get a better game to build off of than this game.
The key with this team is always IF they can build on a positive.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That was the best game this team has played this season. It helped that Columbus played a very uninspired game.

That said the team did something in this game I havent see very much of this year...to a player they were completely engaged from the opening faceoff to the final buzzer.
That showed when an Oiler made a mistake...instead on compounding the mistake they put in the effort and took steps to correct it. Every time.
I have not seen that much at all this season.
Defensively the team plugged up entry lanes into their zone...plugged up passing lanes in the D zone and rarely gave Columbus 2nd and 3rd opportunities on net. Koskinen did what he was supposed to do when pucks did get through...he stopped them. He played a good game but the team in front of him played a very solid game and that made Koskinens afternoon much easier to manage.
That is how a team can make a goaltender look very good.

Great individual plays today (on more than 1 occasion) by many players but I would like to single out Nurse and Draisaitl. They stood out more than once today by making smart solid defensive plays.

The team wont get a better game to build off of than this game.
The key with this team is always IF they can build on a positive.
Was the perfect team game, everyone played well IMO.

That Currie goal was the most dominant offensive shift this season

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don’t blame myself for not getting up at 3:00 AM to watch this one. But I sure wish I had been more dedicated.

Kassian with 10 ties his second best season. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I would consider buying a Kassian jersey ... if the money wasn’t going to Katz’s pocket.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
They still completely gave up as recently as two games ago.

Unless the team is entirely healthy on the back end AND they play their guts out they aren't going anywhere.
That Toronto game was more goaltending than anything. The first period was in the Oilers favor and than Kosko laid a brick during the 2nd and the teams effort level went way down. This is the first real stretch where we can see how good our d core is when healthy since the end of 16-17 because Klefbom is fully healthy and Sekera isn't being restricted by the brace and he looks more like the 16-17 version. Knock Nurse down the pecking order and if he's your 3rd/4th best defender than I think a team with Connor Mcdavid can make a dent especially with how dominant Drai has started to look on the back half of this season. Their work isn't being wasted by guys like Klefbom/Sekera like they were when both players were out and they both will score at a ridiculous rate to end the season imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad