Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win An Afternoon Game 4-0 The End Is Nigh

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
you're wrong, drai has just recently started to turn it up and look good. before he had too many moments where he looked poor and uninterested and just feeding off Connor's teat for the most part. but i admit, i caught parts of this game and he looked very good all over the ice for the most part. i'd say it was just recently he's consistently looked much better. stop getting fooled by points.

yes, the 8.5 mil looks good at this very point in time... if he can consistently play at this level.
Lol like no one can consistently play at the level he is playing at. He’s worth 8.5.

Reactions: RegDunlop

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yet you spend half your posts complaining about/arguing with him. :shakehead

Factually incorrect and even if it were true it would be because he makes more noise than everyone else combined and shouldn't even be here.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It's almost like they're a better team with 2 of their top 3 D men on the ice.
This is pretty much the same team as the one that made the playoffs a few years ago. Minus key players like Eberle, Letestu, Pouliot and Deharnais. Insert Gagner and a bunch of plugs like Cave and Currie. The blueline is pretty much exactly the same and if Sekera gets back to 80% of what he was, this team could make a run. Reel in the next 3 games and this board is going to get jacked up.

One notable difference on the blueline is we don't have Gryba as our 7th D. We have the option to use Gravel, Petrovic or Manning as our 7th D. If this team makes the playoffs, any chance Chia comes back? The only acquisition he didn't make was the Gagner trade.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is pretty much the same team as the one that made the playoffs a few years ago. Minus key players like Eberle, Letestu, Pouliot and Deharnais. Insert Gagner and a bunch of plugs like Cave and Currie. The blueline is pretty much exactly the same and if Sekera gets back to 80% of what he was, this team could make a run. Reel in the next 3 games and this board is going to get jacked up.

One notable difference on the blueline is we don't have Gryba as our 7th D. We have the option to use Gravel, Petrovic or Manning as our 7th D. If this team makes the playoffs, any chance Chia comes back? The only acquisition he didn't make was the Gagner trade.
I don’t read sarcasm well. Is that last part about Chia coming back a real question?

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Bite your damn tongue!!!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Arizona Minnesota Dallas and Colorado are all playing decent hockey right now. For us to have any hope 3 of the 4 need to go on 2-6-2 losing skids which I don't see and Chicago and Vancouver have to remain at .500 for us to make it while we go 7-2-1

As much as it is nice to think about it, the Oilers chances are minute at best.

Your kidding about Chiarelli I hope.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
you're wrong, drai has just recently started to turn it up and look good. before he had too many moments where he looked poor and uninterested and just feeding off Connor's teat for the most part. but i admit, i caught parts of this game and he looked very good all over the ice for the most part. i'd say it was just recently he's consistently looked much better. stop getting fooled by points.

yes, the 8.5 mil looks good at this very point in time... if he can consistently play at this level.

Something at that All Star Game lit him in fire. Maybe confidence from realizing he’s just as good as those guys, maybe barely making the All Star cut made him want to prove he belongs. But yeh I agree with your assessment, he’s been on another level since lately, and I’d pinpoint it to right after he came back from the break.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
- McDavid Drai Kass reminded me of that brief glimmer of time when that duo plus Maroon looked to be one of the most dominant lines in the league.

- I said when the Kass trades rumors where about we’d be stupid to trade him, vindicated. You don’t give up on guys like Kass, a big man WITH wheels, who will smash heads when needed and has the ability to chip in during big moments... all at 4th line money. Plus if ANYTHING were to happen to McDavid you know Lass has the best chance to snap and get retribution for us. Even if he wasn’t scoring like he is lately I’d still want him around as a 4th liner

- Lo and behold, like I’ve been waiting for, the arrival of adequate but not superb defensive core has made Kosko back into the starter we all saw that he was. Has Stoneman been around at all tonight? Don’t look like it.

- Liking Currie. Hope we keep him around and he’s on the team next year.

- I forgot is Khaira injured?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Something at that All Star Game lit him in fire. Maybe confidence from realizing he’s just as good as those guys, maybe barely making the All Star cut made him want to prove he belongs. But yeh I agree with your assessment, he’s been on another level since lately, and I’d pinpoint it to right after he came back from the break.

I think it was the ass chewing and veiled public call out by Hitchcock after the Sharks game. His game has turned to dominant setting since then.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

That's such a preposterous level to set lol. If Drai can consistently play at this level he'd put up 70 goals a year. Drai has consistently been the 2nd best player on this team for 3 years running. He's been a top 10 player in the league all season long.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
First game in a while I watched mostly end to end... we didn't give up a back breaking goal early and McDrai were angry for points. Hope they keep this up. Loving Currie too.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
5 points out and we finally starting to look like we did during the earlier run before Klefbom got hurt. What adding 2 defenseman like Klefbom/Sekera this season is reason enough to be a little optimistic about the rest of the season.

Plus it usually takes a couple weeks for a player coming back from injury to get into game shape. Now that Klefbom and Sekera are probably there, it bolsters our chances of making a push for a WC berth, as slim as that still is. They're the two best puck-movers on D, and the only guys who don't regularly give me a heart attack when the skate it out. Probably pretty clear to all of us how much we miss these guys when they're injured.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I think the players play is not well understood.

In the absence of 3 of our D Drai was much more having to comeback on D, cover for D, spend too much time mired in own zone, it taxed so much of his energy having to overbattle in own zone just for the team to survive some games. Suddenly we have all D on tap, we have some additional talent in lineup like Gagner and Currie and we have a modicum more line depth. Makes it somewhat easier.

But as I've stated many times now Drai started a meteoric run December 6 2018 that has continued unabated and really with not too much change in pace in production. I voice this due to the many people this season, who crapped all over this player for the vast majority of the season. Whereas there was probably no reason for that.

Look at his splits or his game to game results. He's been incredible consistent at this pace for a long time.

Drai did have a bit of extra jump after allstar game but due to getting a bit of rest. He's overworked here always. Again last night he got the most minutes of any forward and in a 4-0 win. Those minutes need to be drawn back but coach is showing who he is trusting every night, and this has been the case all season, and with two coaches.

Finally, both McD and Drai light up some afterburners at this stage of the season because they can see the end at some point. Both are wise and inclined to not want to burn all their rockets too early in a season and players have been known to do that, look at Rantanen, or any of the Bruins, etc. With McDrai they leave some and usually have more noticeable jump later in years. Drais more mesmerizing plays typical would take place in playoffs or in last quarter of seasons.

NHL season is an endurance race. If it was a 50 game season still you would see much different performances from McDrai every game. Its not really humanly possible to deliver much more than they do. To wit nobody does it. No players are truly better than this.

Reactions: Aerrol and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
- McDavid Drai Kass reminded me of that brief glimmer of time when that duo plus Maroon looked to be one of the most dominant lines in the league.

- I said when the Kass trades rumors where about we’d be stupid to trade him, vindicated. You don’t give up on guys like Kass, a big man WITH wheels, who will smash heads when needed and has the ability to chip in during big moments... all at 4th line money. Plus if ANYTHING were to happen to McDavid you know Lass has the best chance to snap and get retribution for us. Even if he wasn’t scoring like he is lately I’d still want him around as a 4th liner

- Lo and behold, like I’ve been waiting for, the arrival of adequate but not superb defensive core has made Kosko back into the starter we all saw that he was. Has Stoneman been around at all tonight? Don’t look like it.

Here I agree, and Maroon was so important. Not just the play on the ice but his demeanor, taking numbers, and doing a bit of policing out there as well as contributing to a 3 player wrecking ball. I've always felt McDrai play the best when they have a physically strong winger. But that winger has to have sufficient skill and Kassian is more skilled than generally seen. He's a player that can go up and down in a lineup. The difficulty with Kassian is he does not sustain this play as long as Maroon.

Most players can't. Chiasson another one, albeit less physical.

The trouble for the team is that when Kassian isn't playing feature minutes he hasn't been as involved. He disappears and cuts corners. We haven't seen his best play this season, but he's being featured more in the lineup.

As far as Khaira he has all kinds of try but goes into funks where confidence leaves him. Play him up topsix much and he can get deflated. Not many wingers on this team that can play with talent.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Did Matt Duchene play at all? Never heard his name called. CBJ gonna be hurting hard when all those UFAs bolt.

And how about McQuaid, gifting Draisaitl for that goal.......brutal.
Did Matt Duchene play at all? Never heard his name called. CBJ gonna be hurting hard when all those UFAs bolt.

And how about McQuaid, gifting Draisaitl for that goal.......brutal.

They only have picks in RD 3 and 7 this year. GM went all in for sure

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hitchcock should get a statue if he gets the team into the playoffs. I've criticized him (too much, admittedly) but I'll gladly eat crow if it happens.

I’ll practice Ramadan and not eat from sun up to sun down and I’m an atheist

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
See, this is the exact thing I think of when culture, character, etc os brought up.
It's not necessarily the player or players that don't foster a good atmosphere. It's the detrimental keeping of players here when they shouldn't be, gifting ice time to a $6M non effective winger, and repeating the same mistakes over and over again.
Please use Currie in all situations and, if warranted, keep him here and have him compete for a spot next year. Same as Colby. Just don't throw extensions and contracts at these unproven players. Learn as an org to breed that competitive culture that they feel is missing.

They are battling for a spot and playing like they want one. It rubs of on other players. Really liking Captain Caveman and Currie. Good boost and fun to watch

Reactions: RegDunlop
Oct 15, 2008

giphy.gif

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They are battling for a spot and playing like they want one. It rubs of on other players. Really liking Captain Caveman and Currie. Good boost and fun to watch

Yeah, I really hope that the boys down in Bakersfield can experience some real postseason success this year and give an injection of confidence and swagger (along with skill) to this team once they start finding their way up onto the Oilers.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Never understood why we bi**h and complain about his contract because its what, $900K too much? He is worth every penny when you consider the intangibles he brings.
Yes he is a very inconsistent player. But people have to realize that if he wasn't, his salary would certainly be above $2M.
Zack Kassian is an asset here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->