Post-Game Talk: Oilers win a defensive battle? Oilers won a defensive battle!

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Not sure why all the complaining about this one, especially about the top lines. They played a solid defensive game, top to bottom. Especially Draisaitl, he was a monster in his own end. Flames had very few chances on net all game and the only goal they did score was b/c Barrie blew a tire and an odd man rush popped up right in front of our net. Smith never had a chance. Other than that, it was an excellent performance and I'd love to see the exact same game tonight.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It’s all part of the plan.

Holland: Jonesie, a word before you go on the ice...You're having trouble getting back in the lineup it seems.
Jones: Yeah, I'm practicing hard but coach won't put me in.
Holland: You know there's another player who has the opposite problem, and I can't get involved. He's playing poorly and coach won't take him out...If coach won't, maybe you could. Then I could pull a string or two. A little quid-pro-quo to get you back in the lineup? Think on it, but it's in your interest to decide quickly.
--Holland turns and starts walking away--
Jones: Me take him out?...What do you mean? And who's the other player?
Holland: ...I think you know the answers to both of those questions Jonesie...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He was Chris Pronger like tonight

I mentioned that before and I got run outta town. Nurse is a MUST to resign
I mentioned before that Nurse is a mini version of Pronger and he will be wearing an A on his jersey for the upcoming season. I got laughed at hard
Who is laughing now!

Reactions: Heavy Dee

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My favorite quote from Cassie last night: "There's a lot of debate over who's the better player, Crosby or McDavid, but I tell ya, I'd take either of them on my team." Oh, you would, would ya? Sterling commentary.

I liked one of the intermission quotes too. I forget if it was Francis or Leslie.

"Kekalainen said Puljujarvi is a good player and he would play in this league. Boy, he nailed that one!"

That's quite the bold prediction to be applauding haha.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dont know why everyone is complaining about the win? We played a good, defensive game. That’s how playoff hockey is. Not every game is going to be won by McDavid and Leon

It is kind of funny.

Lose a high scoring game: "You bums!! Learn to play some f***ing defense and we need goaltending!!"

Win a low scoring, defensively sound game, where Smith made some good saves: "Gross win, where'd the offense go?"

What I'm happy with: they're finally learning to put close games on lockdown. There were moments where I was thinking "here comes the tying goal" but just as I said in the last pgt, when they couldn't get it out, Smith kept it out.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
My favorite quote from Cassie last night: "There's a lot of debate over who's the better player, Crosby or McDavid, but I tell ya, I'd take either of them on my team." Oh, you would, would ya? Sterling commentary.
Kind of surprised she didn’t say Johnny....lol

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It is kind of funny.

Lose a high scoring game: "You bums!! Learn to play some f***ing defense and we need goaltending!!"

Win a low scoring, defensively sound game, where Smith made some good saves: "Gross win, where'd the offense go?"

What I'm happy with: they're finally learning to put close games on lockdown. There were moments where I was thinking "here comes the tying goal" but just as I said in the last pgt, when they couldn't get it out, Smith kept it out.

I just wish they would look a little better playing defensive hockey.

The third period looked like a 20 minute PK. I'm pretty sure Nurse was the only guy to complete an outlet pass that entire period.

Failing to clear the puck at the line three times a shift and then dumping the puck to center over and over isn't really encouraging signs of sustainable defensive hockey to me.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ive noticed that all season...they seem so damn uninterested...maybe they just hate that there are no fans? Or have McDrai scored so many times they dont care anymore.

I believe 100% it's because there are no fans to celebrate for. When you score on the opposing team in front of their fans, you celebrate to stick it to them.

When you celebrate in front of your own fans, it gets the crowd buzzing and engaged. TV cameras or not, it is not the same.

If teams started doing what WWE has done and put live screen monitors in the lower bowls, maybe it would help the players feel fans are back in the building? On the flip side, when people are allowed back in buildings, that's a lot of monitors sent to the donation/recycling bin.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

The third period looked like a 20 minute PK. I'm pretty sure Nurse was the only guy to complete an outlet pass that entire period.

Failing to clear the puck at the line three times a shift and then dumping the puck to center over and over isn't really encouraging signs of sustainable defensive hockey to me.
Do you want the games to look pretty or do you want to win?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The thing I like JP is that he plays a simple game. Shoots the puck a lot. Stands in front of the net. The goal he scored last night was so simple. Find a soft area in the net (around 4 red sweaters), get a good pass and shoot the puck in the net. We don’t score many goals like that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Have you seen the love that Nurse is getting in here? Or Botterill during the last BOA? There are AMAZING women commentators, give them the job. They’d be infinitely better
(And bonus is they’re not currently married to the Flames assistant GM which could lead to a tinyyyyyyy hint of bias, no?!)
I actually kinda like her during a flames loss.

Reactions: TB12

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep, that part is still a problem as they get hemmed in way too much for way too long of periods at a time. It seems like every clearing attempt goes right to the opposing players dman at the blue line. I don't recall them getting that kind of sustained pressure at all last night. At the same time though, they kept just about everything to the perimeter when Calgary was pressuring. Dumping it out to center is fine with me, it kills clock and they have to regroup. I'd prefer that over icings.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mentioned that before and I got run outta town. Nurse is a MUST to resign
I mentioned before that Nurse is a mini version of Pronger and he will be wearing an A on his jersey for the upcoming season. I got laughed at hard
Who is laughing now!

His line is being spoonfed every second with McDavid. The Pronger comparison is not even close
Erik Gustaffson was Norris eligible 2 years ago being spoonfed Kane.

Nurse is playing well fot sure, but let's put some perspective on it before comparing him to one of the best dmen of all time.

Pronger didn't need spoonfeeding

Pronger- Bear would have been one of the top pairings in the league
Nurse - Bear are not even close, and didn't look too good to start the season.

Nurse won the lottery in a contract year having Bear get hurt, and being paired with Tipps favorite couple..... McBarrie

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dont know why everyone is complaining about the win? We played a good, defensive game. That’s how playoff hockey is. Not every game is going to be won by McDavid and Leon

In this instance it matters who the opponent is. Calgary just got kicked in the junk 5-1 by Vancouver. A good stiff licking was kind of what people were hoping for, maybe we get to Flambe the Flames tonight. Thing is, in realtime, this game was too tight for comfort. Oilers fans fully expect to be jobbed in these matchups. For the refs to throw a monkey wrench in and start giving Calgary multiple PP's down the stretch. Hell the officials were throwing picks on plays (they're positioning this year and no clue where the play is going drives me nuts. Calgary got an extended offensive pressure last night because the official kept the puck in. But lots of times for the Oilers to break out they have to beat the flames and the officials seemingly trying to hem us in. Really frustrating game. Despite the W.

Converse is its nice for once for the Flames to not get all the close game results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad