Post-Game Talk: Oilers win a defensive battle? Oilers won a defensive battle!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Imagine telling any of us on here at the beginning of the season that Kharia would be our staple 3C.

What a time to be alive.
He was standing on the precipice of the ledge and had an epiphany, and decided to come back. Let's hope he realizes how close he really was to being out of the best league in the world, and throwing away a lifetime opportunity that very few get.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smith - First, Second and Third star. Without him, this could be 4-2 Flamers.

That's now 4 solid games out of five, so hopefully people will lay off him for a while. At least until a game where our team leaks multiple chances and the opposition finally cashes in on them.

Khaira, Haas, and Puljo our best forwards by a mile.

Barrie did what was expected. Some great offensive plays mixed with some defensive gaffes.

But Smitty was outstanding.

Reactions: Biltmore

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I went back and watched it again to get some quotes. He refused to acknowledge the Oilers have any kind of depth in their bottom six saying "You're never going to sell me on the depth of the Edmonton Oilers" then going on a rant despite Leslie and Stajan saying those lines were getting it done right before. Leslie let out a slight audible sigh and looked at the camera like he was thinking "shut his mic off". Stajan retorted basically that depth guys aren't out there to score every night but create energy, not get scored on and if they finish even on the night, they did their job. All Francis could say in reply was "You're always representing the 4th liners" then a bunch of rambling. Leslie said "Don't take that Staje, we don't know what we're talking about, that is evident" as he made pointing thumb gestures back and forth between he and Francis. Francis clearly embarrassed by Leslie, turned almost purple hiding behind a fake laugh and smile.
Nvm see it here lol

Reactions: McFuhryous

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't like Francis but he was gushing over Puljo for a good 2 minutes. And what he said about the Oilers depth is probably not entirely untrue , if you take off the orange blinders. We only have a short sample of the so-called depth, and it's looking good at this point. Like so many things with this team, it's a wait and see. But as a fan, I'll enjoy what we bring to the table right now.

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't know if Ward gets fired all that expediently. Peters is the first head office person that's ever been fired mid contract by the Flames. There is a reason for this. Peters is still being paid this year. Wards contract runs till end of next season.

There is also a reason why all of the Flames coaches and GM picks are guys who have been off the radar for a decade. KHL Mike Keenan. A retired Sutter. A retired Burke. Treliving. Button. KHL Bob Hartley. KHL Peters who had all the smoke from Carolina. As much as they are in the conversation for all the top available players, all of their management is always bargain bin picks. Bob Hartley has a Jack Adams award, wants Jack Adams money and he's kicked to the curb after a successful year, even.

The Flames "Calgary Sports and Entertainment Group" is the Calgary equivalent of the EIG. Historically they were richer than the EIG, but now a days lots of their individual investors are feeling the crunch of the oil downturn. They're cash poor. It's why Calgary was so excited to save 4 million real dollars a year on Lucic vs Neal; even the fans know they're poor.

I think Calgary is too cheap to fire Ward. In the very least I don't think it happens till Peters is off the payroll.

I think Treliving should be the first to go...not that I want him to be, he's doing an excellent job from this Oilers fan view through rose colored glasses.

I thought he signed a lengthy extension but it carries him through the '23 season. He's made some bizarre HC hires with all of them really, when better coaches were available. Peters I suppose he gets some sort of mulligan on that one but the Flames were awful under him last season so who knows what would have transpired.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's nitpicking, but it is something that does bug me and it's the fact that Pulju shares the same love of goal scoring that Yakupov did and everyone is stoic towards it in the same way.

Ovechkin loves to score and his teammates feed off of it, but there's something within the Edmonton water that just doesn't allow that same type of enthusiasm.

Watch the Pulju goal tonight, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

The kid scored against the f***ing Flames. It's not a time to be stoic. Celebrate.

Here's a theory. The Oilers have a lot of Canadian players (15 as of last season). We also have the least Americans and least Russians (no Russians) in the league. And there is something about Canadian hockey culture that discourages players having big personalities. The Capitals on the other hand have long had the least Canadians in the league (they had 5 as of last season). Maybe this plays into the culture of the team?

Numbers from Breaking down each NHL team’s roster by nationality – 2020

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Larsson was very good back in '17, but there is no way he brought near the skating and rushing the puck out of the zone and offensive chops of Nurse this year.

Sure, but similarly Nurse isn't bringing the same consistent physical shutdown defence Larsson did. They're different players, I simply think 2017 Larsson and current Nurse are on a similar level of play.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
2016-17 Larsson was at current Nurse levels imo. Pronger of course was at a higher level than both.

Nurse providing elite play at both ends though, which Larsson never has.

Nurse playing like a $7-8m d-man. You think Larsson’s play was THAT good back then? I’d say more like $5m.

Reactions: PGW

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't like Francis but he was gushing over Puljo for a good 2 minutes. And what he said about the Oilers depth is probably not entirely untrue , if you take off the orange blinders. We only have a short sample of the so-called depth, and it's looking good at this point. Like so many things with this team, it's a wait and see. But as a fan, I'll enjoy what we bring to the table right now.

Yeah, it's kinda funny seeing people getting mad at some talking head for questioning our depth when that happens all the time on this board.

In fact, we have a "Fire Holland" thread where it seems his biggest sin, according to a lot of posters, was not sufficiently addressing our depth issues despite having no salary cap to work with.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, it's kinda funny seeing people getting mad at some talking head for questioning our depth when that happens all the time on this board.

In fact, we have a "Fire Holland" thread where it seems his biggest sin, according to a lot of posters, was not sufficiently addressing our depth issues despite having no salary cap to work with.

I think the timing of criticism is what makes it a dumb comment by him.

In the last five games, Chiasson, Khaira, Pulju, Ennis and the #4C(Shore/Haas combined) are leading the team in even strength points.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
His line is being spoonfed every second with McDavid. The Pronger comparison is not even close
Erik Gustaffson was Norris eligible 2 years ago being spoonfed Kane.

Nurse is playing well fot sure, but let's put some perspective on it before comparing him to one of the best dmen of all time.

Pronger didn't need spoonfeeding

Pronger- Bear would have been one of the top pairings in the league
Nurse - Bear are not even close, and didn't look too good to start the season.

Nurse won the lottery in a contract year having Bear get hurt, and being paired with Tipps favorite couple..... McBarrie

he is playing upwards to 30 mins a game. He is not getting spoonfed minutes as you claim

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
McDavid, Nuge, KK, and Bouchard all could do with a review of the game tape of their defensive zone coverage; I don't know why Tipp keeps Nuge and Yams separated, considering they looked better defensively and offensively when together.
Kahun looked good, but his linemates and D-men fumbled a few plays for him. I think he deserves a shot with McDavid and Pulju.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Smith - First, Second and Third star. Without him, this could be 4-2 Flamers.

That's now 4 solid games out of five, so hopefully people will lay off him for a while. At least until a game where our team leaks multiple chances and the opposition finally cashes in on them.

Khaira, Haas, and Puljo our best forwards by a mile.

Barrie did what was expected. Some great offensive plays mixed with some defensive gaffes.

But Smitty was outstanding.
Rittich made way bigger saves than Smith did. He flat out stones Draisaitl and Archibald, plus makes other nice saves on Khaira x2 and Koekoek. Not saying Smith wasn’t good, he was but so was Rittich.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Dont know why everyone is complaining about the win? We played a good, defensive game. That’s how playoff hockey is. Not every game is going to be won by McDavid and Leon
Shows we have more depth IMO. This time next week , could be on top of the North

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rittich made way bigger saves than Smith did. He flat out stones Draisaitl and Archibald, plus makes other nice saves on Khaira x2 and Koekoek. Not saying Smith wasn’t good, he was but so was Rittich.
Rittich was good too, but Smitty made one more save than him. Maybe Rittich can have 3rd star, but that's as far as I'll go for a Flamer.;)

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad