Post-Game Talk: Oilers win a defensive battle? Oilers won a defensive battle!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community - View Single Post - [GDT] Flames @ Edmonton, 8:00 PM MT (SN1, CBC, NHLN / Fan 960)

ROFLMAO...Immediately thought h about how she was complaining about "seems there's no icing at this end of the rink".

Pretty sure that wasn’t Campbell. But ya, that was one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. The refs missed some things both ways last night, but it sure wasn’t icing. Like do they not understand how icing works? We don’t just get assigned icing calls because Calgary is icing the puck more and it needs to be “evened up”. Campbell was less horrendous than usual last night (although she did say some pretty brutal things), but it always amazes me at just how bad Calgary’s commentators are. It’s not even just bias, it’s constantly saying things that are just flat out wrong or obvious.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was the first time I’ve seen Tkachuk play such a disengaged game again at the Oilers. I wonder if his teammates are sick of his antics and privately told him to cool it.

Tippett deserves some credit for this one keeping the team focused on not jumping to the antics. Tkachuk tried a couple things but ended up on the wrong end of a penalty when he tore at McD's arm and got a holding call. I guess Calgary isn't paying the NHL anymore for game calling. That was a textbook bad penalty to take and the Flames don't have the kind of scoring to be able to take any bad penalties. Theres no luxury in this Flames lineup. Reality is they can't risk taking liberties if they wanted to.

To me the worst is thinking that Ward is going to get fired. I wish they would keep him on for awhile.. Flames will toss the coach and then maybe get a bounce out of whichever coach they drag in.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Tippett deserves some credit for this one keeping the team focused on not jumping to the antics. Tkachuk tried a couple things but ended up on the wrong end of a penalty when he tore at McD's arm and got a holding call. I guess Calgary isn't paying the NHL anymore for game calling. That was a textbook bad penalty to take and the Flames don't have the kind of scoring to be able to take any bad penalties. Theres no luxury in this Flames lineup. Reality is they can't risk taking liberties if they wanted to.

To me the worst is thinking that Ward is going to get fired. I wish they would keep him on for awhile.. Flames will toss the coach and then maybe get a bounce out of whichever coach they drag in.

Definitely seemed like part of the game plan.

Tkachuk got in Smith's face after a save in the third and Barrie went over and grabbed him. Looked like Nurse said something and Barrie immediately let go and skated away.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Definitely seemed like part of the game plan.

Tkachuk got in Smith's face after a save in the third and Barrie went over and grabbed him. Looked like Nurse said something and Barrie immediately let go and skated away.

Yep. The other thing though is that our version of the Circus, Kassian, is hurt, and not playing in these games. So we're not dressing a mayhem lineup. It was a tame game, but then its even funnier watching guys like Tkachuk or Lucic or Gio trying to play the game without mayhem.

We just were not biting on the flames garbage. Instead we were just finishing checks, getting back, taking care of business. Not giving the Flames anything for free.

Also Nurse played 30mins policing things. I mean half the game. Larsson played 24minutes and both were in a take no prisoners mood. Nurse was keeping it clean but both were punishing last night.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty sure that wasn’t Campbell. But ya, that was one of the stupidest things I’ve heard. The refs missed some things both ways last night, but it sure wasn’t icing. Like do they not understand how icing works? We don’t just get assigned icing calls because Calgary is icing the puck more and it needs to be “evened up”. Campbell was less horrendous than usual last night (although she did say some pretty brutal things), but it always amazes me at just how bad Calgary’s commentators are. It’s not even just bias, it’s constantly saying things that are just flat out wrong or obvious.

One bad sequence last night in the first. An Oiler finished a solid hit destroying a Flame. Cassie and the other dork start a monologue, well whats that, no call, with Cassie then saying "I'm not even going to get into that" She needs to keep that out of it. People keep saying this was a Calgary telecast but Snet can't look at it that way and Snet is simply saving money on this not having both telecasts. There would have been a memo in these to keep the calling less homer focused being that its both clubs telecast. Cassie tripped up, but she also waxed on about Oilers favorably as well. In the end she ended up pissing off both fan bases. She probably cant' win at this point.

Reactions: snag

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I was on a video call with friends rather than on HF last night so I’ll drop my quick thoughts in here:

- Solid game all around, good defensive effort all game. A very Dave Tippett type of win.
- We’ve started to win games when Draisaitl and McDavid are shut down which is massive for us.
- I think we’ve got our lineup set up now. The only change I’d still like to see is the reunion of the DRY line with maybe Ennis or Kahun promoted to 1LW.
- Another extremely solid game from Smith. Can’t fault him for Barrie being put in the spin cycle and then getting sniped from close range.
- Barrie is putting up points regularly but his play in the D zone gives me indigestion. Bear can’t come back quick enough so we can dial back Barrie’s ice time.
- JP is hot hot hot.
- ITS GAETAN HAAS IN HERRE!
- Eric Francis is a moron.

Reactions: Duke74 and KlefDown

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
200.gif

Did Beauvillier ever hit that?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
She seems reasonable to me. Even corrects herself when she'll say something like Unfortunately, and then add, for the flames, when a play didn't work out for them. She also took the time to praise the lead protection play of Nuge, Draisaitl. She tried to be less homer. Could really feel that.

She read our criticisms of her here.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was on a video call with friends rather than on HF last night so I’ll drop my quick thoughts in here:

- Solid game all around, good defensive effort all game. A very Dave Tippett type of win.
- We’ve started to win games when Draisaitl and McDavid are shut down which is massive for us.
- I think we’ve got our lineup set up now. The only change I’d still like to see is the reunion of the DRY line with maybe Ennis or Kahun promoted to 1LW.
- Another extremely solid game from Smith. Can’t fault him for Barrie being put in the spin cycle and then getting sniped from close range.
- Barrie is putting up points regularly but his play in the D zone gives me indigestion. Bear can’t come back quick enough so we can dial back Barrie’s ice time.
- JP is hot hot hot.
- ITS GAETAN HAAS IN HERRE!
- Eric Francis is a moron.
Is that what they call it these days? :sarcasm:

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Shots were 5-5 in the third. Only allowed 5 shots on net to a team desperate for points and the oilers even killed off a 2 minute penalty in the 3rd. I don't really even recall a dangerous scoring chance of those 5 against.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
He did have a couple bad hips . Now they are fixed he looks great , As Chub's would say its all in the hips

Also, just wanted to say how crazy it is that Happy Gilmore came out 25 years ago. Twenty-five!!! Man, time flies. Classic movie.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
what did Francis say? I refuse to watch that d-bag

I went back and watched it again to get some quotes. He refused to acknowledge the Oilers have any kind of depth in their bottom six saying "You're never going to sell me on the depth of the Edmonton Oilers" then going on a rant despite Leslie and Stajan saying those lines were getting it done right before. Leslie let out a slight audible sigh and looked at the camera like he was thinking "shut his mic off". Stajan retorted basically that depth guys aren't out there to score every night but create energy, not get scored on and if they finish even on the night, they did their job. All Francis could say in reply was "You're always representing the 4th liners" then a bunch of rambling. Leslie said "Don't take that Staje, we don't know what we're talking about, that is evident" as he made pointing thumb gestures back and forth between he and Francis. Francis clearly embarrassed by Leslie, turned almost purple hiding behind a fake laugh and smile.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Anyone listen to 960 last night? Imagine it was kind of gemmy
A lot less crying and whining then I had hoped for. Just ridiculous to listen to, though. Like you’d think it was a spoof show with how over the top and ridiculous the callers are.

One caller BLAMED their goaltending this year. Hahahahaha. Like what a take. Markstrom is the only reason they have more than 3 wins. McLovin hung up on the guy for being drunk lol

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Also I really hope last night keeps Neal in the lineup. He lacks speed, but there’s nobody on the team who wins puck battles as consistently as he does. Keep him with Haas and someone else with a bit of speed and he’s just fine on that fourth line with pp time imo.

Kahun Mcdavid JP
RNH Drai Yam
Ennis Khaira Archi
Nygard Haas Neal

would be something I’d like to try, with Kassian coming in for Nygard sometimes.

Edit: forgot about Turris. He Nygard and Kassian can split time on the fourth line winger spot imo.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I went back and watched it again to get some quotes. He refused to acknowledge the Oilers have any kind of depth in their bottom six saying "You're never going to sell me on the depth of the Edmonton Oilers" then going on a rant despite Leslie and Stajan saying those lines were getting it done right before. Leslie let out a slight audible sigh and looked at the camera like he was thinking "shut his mic off". Stajan retorted basically that depth guys aren't out there to score every night but create energy, not get scored on and if they finish even on the night, they did their job. All Francis could say in reply was "You're always representing the 4th liners" then a bunch of rambling. Leslie said "Don't take that Staje, we don't know what we're talking about, that is evident" as he made pointing thumb gestures back and forth between he and Francis. Francis clearly embarrassed by Leslie, turned almost purple hiding behind a fake laugh and smile.

The amount of disrespect given to Stajan by Francis enraged me. He played 1000 games in the NHL give him the respect he deserves.

Reactions: TB12 and McFuhryous

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Also I really hope last night keeps Neal in the lineup. He lacks speed, but there’s nobody on the team who wins puck battles as consistently as he does. Keep him with Haas and someone else with a bit of speed and he’s just fine on that fourth line with pp time imo.

Kahun Mcdavid JP
RNH Drai Yam
Ennis Khaira Archi
Nygard Haas Neal

would be something I’d like to try, with Kassian coming in for Nygard sometimes.

Edit: forgot about Turris. He Nygard and Kassian can split time on the fourth line winger spot imo.

Imagine telling any of us on here at the beginning of the season that Kharia would be our staple 3C.

What a time to be alive.

Reactions: 3IR

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The amount of disrespect given to Stajan by Francis enraged me. He played 1000 games in the NHL give him the respect he deserves.

I don't know if Francis always talks to him like that as I don't watch Flames intermission reports on a normal basis but holy hell, imagine if Spector talked to Strudwick that way? I don't listen to afternoon 1260 stuff often but I recall Gregor at times trying to put his two cents in about what is said or goes on in the room and Strudwick shot him down :laugh:.

I don't mind Ryan Leslie one bit to be honest.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid and TB12

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I don't know if Ward gets fired all that expediently. Peters is the first head office person that's ever been fired mid contract by the Flames. There is a reason for this. Peters is still being paid this year. Wards contract runs till end of next season.

There is also a reason why all of the Flames coaches and GM picks are guys who have been off the radar for a decade. KHL Mike Keenan. A retired Sutter. A retired Burke. Treliving. Button. KHL Bob Hartley. KHL Peters who had all the smoke from Carolina. As much as they are in the conversation for all the top available players, all of their management is always bargain bin picks. Bob Hartley has a Jack Adams award, wants Jack Adams money and he's kicked to the curb after a successful year, even.

The Flames "Calgary Sports and Entertainment Group" is the Calgary equivalent of the EIG. Historically they were richer than the EIG, but now a days lots of their individual investors are feeling the crunch of the oil downturn. They're cash poor. It's why Calgary was so excited to save 4 million real dollars a year on Lucic vs Neal; even the fans know they're poor.

I think Calgary is too cheap to fire Ward. In the very least I don't think it happens till Peters is off the payroll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Personally I love spec. Even when I don’t agree with him I respect that he just calls it like he sees it.

Yep, I don't mind him either. He flip flops a bit but what reporter doesn't. He doesn't come off as a Grade A asshole like Francis (on tv anyways).

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad