Post-Game Talk: Oilers win a defensive battle? Oilers won a defensive battle!

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
So Calgary radio seems to think that the Flames have the best young defence core in the North division. Thoughts?

It's a convenient comparison because the quality of the D-corps in this division is very poor to begin with. I like Valikmaki and Andersson, while irritating, is a serviceable top 4 guy. Hanifin has never convinced me of much, aside from being a middle of the road, second-pairing guy who needs a fair bit of help from his partner (which he's getting from Tanev, who is clearly their best defenseman, I think, but he's over 30 and very injury prone). If we take total organizational depth into account, I like our young guys more. Valimaki will be a good one, though.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
It's nitpicking, but it is something that does bug me and it's the fact that Pulju shares the same love of goal scoring that Yakupov did and everyone is stoic towards it in the same way.

Ovechkin loves to score and his teammates feed off of it, but there's something within the Edmonton water that just doesn't allow that same type of enthusiasm.

Watch the Pulju goal tonight, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

The kid scored against the f***ing Flames. It's not a time to be stoic. Celebrate.
Ive noticed that all season...they seem so damn uninterested...maybe they just hate that there are no fans? Or have McDrai scored so many times they dont care anymore.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
EXiIjft.gif

wtf is that. I don't think Jones is particularly bright...

It’s all part of the plan.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I’ve noticed this a lot. Everyone on the Oilers is so “cool” when scoring.... barely a celebration. Could be viewed as the team just getting down to business and not viewing a single goal as a job well done but still... would like to see them share Puljus excitement more.
It's just weird. Watch any of Archie's goals, or even Haas' goal tonight. Celebration.

Watch all of Pulju's goals and truthfully, he's the only one celebrating.

The top three don't celebrate much after their goals. You can even see that Yamo, if you look at his first NHL goal to now, is quite stoic in his celebrations.

But give the big goofy kid a f***ing cheer. Especially considering his confidence issues before this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse picked up another assist tonight as well.

Man we’re seeing him blossom before our eyes, he was rock solid defensively and on the PK, some big blocks and clears. Even created a couple of odd man rushes the way while on the PK.

Top line and D pair got hemmed a couple of times and not the prettiest fancies but I thought they battled hard in our own zone and really clogged up loose puck and sticks. It was a gritty defensive effort.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Nurse picked up another assist tonight as well.

Man we’re seeing him blossom before our eyes, he was rock solid defensively and on the PK, some big blocks and clears. Even created a couple of odd man rushes the way while on the PK.

Top line and D pair got hemmed a couple of times and not the prettiest fancies but I thought they battled hard in our own zone and really clogged up loose puck and sticks. It was a gritty defensive effort.
I was mocked for saying Nurse is a better all around defenseman than Morrissey. Still believe it.

He is.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Morrisey has looked pretty bad for a while defensively after he was getting hyped as a defensive stud.
Morrissey has never had the overall dynamic play that Nurse possesses. At their best a few seasons ago, people were propping Morrissey as a top 2 dman while Nurse was a middle pairing player.

The difference was Nurse at his best is a clear #1/2 d-man and Morrissey never was, and doesn't have the same speed nor grit that Nurse possesses.

Nurse is blooming, as a majority of top end Dmen do between 25-30, and I'm, as I've always been, happy as a pig in shit we have him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's just weird. Watch any of Archie's goals, or even Haas' goal tonight. Celebration.

Watch all of Pulju's goals and truthfully, he's the only one celebrating.

The top three don't celebrate much after their goals. You can even see that Yamo, if you look at his first NHL goal to now, is quite stoic in his celebrations.

But give the big goofy kid a f***ing cheer. Especially considering his confidence issues before this year.

He did have a couple bad hips . Now they are fixed he looks great , As Chub's would say its all in the hips

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Theres a reason he's up in the press box.

Thats a terrible way to play a 1on1.
What's he even doing? He's not attempting a poke, he's in a horrible position to attempt a block and he's clearly low-bridging Turris if he makes contact.

Jones just has horrendous play anticipation IMO. Doesn't identify lanes well and isn't willing to block shots.

Reactions: Leo360

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It's nitpicking, but it is something that does bug me and it's the fact that Pulju shares the same love of goal scoring that Yakupov did and everyone is stoic towards it in the same way.

Ovechkin loves to score and his teammates feed off of it, but there's something within the Edmonton water that just doesn't allow that same type of enthusiasm.

Watch the Pulju goal tonight, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

The kid scored against the f***ing Flames. It's not a time to be stoic. Celebrate.

I think the lack of fans kills the excitement a bit for some guys

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Big win for the team.

I don’t know why we can’t try the obvious lines.

Kahun - McDavid - JP
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Khaira - Archibald
LW - Haas - RW

Draisaitl line had great chemistry last year
Khaira line has looked good together
McDavid and JP have chemistry. Try to find a third player who works on that line.
He will eventually do it. He still wasn't going to take Turris out, but he got injured lol. Takes Dave a while to figure things out. He will give you rope to no end.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Backlund really beat McDavid today man

75% on the draws
14-4 shots while they were both on

Yeah I don't know what's going on with our 2 All-Stars but I hope they get it sorted out quick. Neither one has been playing near their standards in recent games. Drai looks particularly lethargic and his head isn't in it at all. You could see him skating to the bench looking frustrated tonight numerous times. Maybe they should play more shifts together for a couple games to get their mojo back.

One of the most uneventful BOAs seen in a awhile, I think I counted 1 scrum the whole game. I'm sure it will ramp up more when they get closer to the end of season, looking like it will be between us and the Lames who will make the playoffs. Happy with the 2 points tho!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad