Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 5-1 against the Lambton Shores Predators of the GOJHL

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I really love the line of Gordon-Jones-Hendricks right now. They are playing exactly like what we need a 3rd line to play like. Definitely have to say that I'm really liking the early returns on Hendricks so far. He does seem like a great character guy who sticks up for his teammates and isn't afraid to muck it up. Ryan Jones is also playing his best hockey in a long while.

On defence, Marincin continues to impress me with his play. Pretty poised, good positioning, and great movement for a guy his size. Just needs to add some more weight and I think we'll have a great one in him. J.Schultz is also playing alot better defensively. Offensively, he's such a treat to watch jumping into the play.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Potter hate is unreal.

Guy played well I thought. I'll make a BOLD prediction... 2014/15 Potter is 2013/14 Fistric next season and makes Oilers fans scratch their heads.

Seems like with Potter a lot of posters don't like him but can't exactly explain why. Common response is "he's not an NHL player" ... I think he can play 6/7 RD just fine.

Eakins post game comments on Scrivens are interesting. Nice to have a really vocal guy back there, hope the rest of the guys catch on and follow suit.

Last edited:

doormat247

Mar 19, 2006
Sherwood Park
www.jugger.ca
Seems like with Potter a lot of posters don't like him but can't exactly explain why. Common response is "he's not an NHL player" ... I think he can play 6/7 RD just fine.

On this team, certainly he is a 6/7 defenseman, but on 26 to 29 other clubs, he is a first pairing AHLer that only gets a call-up if injuries hit.

His lack of poise under pressure, lack of physical edge and inability to create enough offense to offset his shortcomings make him a borderline NHLer on the worst defense in the league.

My thought: If Corey Potter is in your top six...your top six isn't good enough.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i dont like him because he reminds me of cory cross, and he stepped on taylor halls head. i also dont like him as there was a game last season when a player went after him for a hit and he cowered and let the dude punch him in his head. not only does he not stick up for teammates he doesnt even stick up for himself, cowardly and soft

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Smyth is peculiar. He has had a handful of REALLY good games. And quite a lot of really bad ones.

Tonight was one of those good games. He has more multi point games this year than single point games.

6 games he has 2 points or more. 4 others he has 1. Curiously he's also a PPG player in games the Oilers have won. 5 points in games they've lost.

For anybody older that's been in a lot of sports and been through the ringer its not too peculiar. Most of us end up with significant arthritis that culminates from ongoing injury and overuse. Smyth is most certainly a high mileage player and has taken an amount of banging that would make 90% of peers retire. He has an extremely high pain threshold but even given that on some days your body just doesn't work as well. But you get other days when for some reason theres hardly any pain, you feel great, and on those days you can still rock it.

As you get older its very much a how you feel proposition. A lot of older players should take games off, or not get much minutes in some games. If people were being upfront and completely honest theres gonna be nights where Smyth has trouble playing the physical game of hockey at all. But last night is still what he's capable of on occasion.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Anybody notice Hendricks chirping Hutton throughout the game last night? Even the linesmen thought it was pretty funny at times.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anybody notice Hendricks chirping Hutton throughout the game last night? Even the linesmen thought it was pretty funny at times.

Yep. Hendricks very vocal and in peoples faces. But it doesn't stop there. The presence of Hendricks has made Jones a completely different guy out there and back to what he can be when he's playing with some balls. Then, Gordon in turn plays his more physical game and gets grinding it out. That line has been very good and Hendricks has been the catalyst for some more enthused play. Plus that when the 3rd and 4th lines are really playing with energy it spreads through the whole team.

It started in the game Hendricks scored in and we were down 4-1. The believe started there and Hendricks has been infectious.

I harken back at people saying "energy" players like Mike Brown was exactly what we need. That was always the wrong focus and not a solution. Your team doesn't get better having guys like Brown, Hordi, Smac wreaking havoc. It gets better if you have a guy that can actually play the game at a very reasonable level and that brings the energy and enthusiasm and can play the minutes. Hendricks is different because he's a hockey player first. Not the other way around with the string of thugs weve had in here unsuccessfully trying to stir things up.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yep. Hendricks very vocal and in peoples faces. But it doesn't stop there. The presence of Hendricks has made Jones a completely different guy out there and back to what he can be when he's playing with some balls. Then, Gordon in turn plays his more physical game and gets grinding it out. That line has been very good and Hendricks has been the catalyst for some more enthused play. Plus that when the 3rd and 4th lines are really playing with energy it spreads through the whole team.

It started in the game Hendricks scored in and we were down 4-1. The believe started there and Hendricks has been infectious.

I harken back at people saying "energy" players like Mike Brown was exactly what we need. That was always the wrong focus and not a solution. Your team doesn't get better having guys like Brown, Hordi, Smac wreaking havoc. It gets better if you have a guy that can actually play the game at a very reasonable level and that brings the energy and enthusiasm and can play the minutes. Hendricks is different because he's a hockey player first. Not the other way around with the string of thugs weve had in here unsuccessfully trying to stir things up.

I agree, very good post.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
On this team, certainly he is a 6/7 defenseman, but on 26 to 29 other clubs, he is a first pairing AHLer that only gets a call-up if injuries hit.

His lack of poise under pressure, lack of physical edge and inability to create enough offense to offset his shortcomings make him a borderline NHLer on the worst defense in the league.

My thought: If Corey Potter is in your top six...your top six isn't good enough.

That may be true but in the here and now and in the reality of what the Oilers have... I'd have a hard time arguing that Potter has been worse than guys like Belov, Nick Schultz and even Petry on many nights.

Certainly Justin Schultz has been a ****show defensively on many nights as well, and when JSchultz doesn't compensate with some offensive production he's just as prone to being labelled a borderline NHL talent as well.

We have to remember Potter is dirt cheap as well... he makes literally 20% of what Nick Schultz does. 25 % of what Ference does.
Less than half of what Petry does. Hell he makes half of what Grebeshkov does and we know how good Grebs has been.

I do think Potter gets somewhat unfairly maligned... he's a cheap #6/#7 option and shouldn't be compared to (or expected to be) a top 4 option.

Every team needs #6/#7 cheap fillers and Potter is exactly that... and reasonably versatile as well because he has some offense in his game and a decent shot which can be used in a PP situation as well.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012

+1. Well said. I'd also like to add that Hendricks is what Clarkson (for those who wanted him) should be playing like, except much cheaper and playing third line and not top 6.

Potter: He is a liability defensively. Many Oilers are, but when he's out there its more often than not either giveaway or icing. Just folds under pressure. Doesn't look when he has the puck and just gets rid of it. He's decent on the PP and in the O-zone, but a train-wreck in the D-zone. I don't care if he's making league min. He's just not NHL material, or at least hasn't shown it this year. Would rather chance Fedun back there.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
I thought the Oilers played fairly solid in 2 out of the 3 periods.

I, too, think Hendricks has been a big boost to the club and I hope his enthusiasm and energy doesn't start to slide.

Wonder if there's been some players who have done some soul searching and have taken a hard look in the mirror with all the negative media that has been surrounding the team and management?

(lol at the thread title. We are quite familiar with the Lambton Shores Predators of the GOJHL. :) #GoMaroonsGo)

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
I thought Gazdic had a pretty good game. Showed some potential to be an enforcer that can be out on the ice. What night and day differance from Smac.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought Gazdic had a pretty good game. Showed some potential to be an enforcer that can be out on the ice. What night and day differance from Smac.

Can actually play the game if he has the right puck support which Smyth provided admirably last night. Gaz is going to have some trouble handling the puck but playing with guys that keep it pretty basic and play a simple cycle like Joensuu and Smyth really helps Gazdics game. That and that Smyth is a very underrated player at transition and moving the puck up ice. Without that Gazdic spends way too much time in own end.

Smyth was the key player on this line last night and if he was able to play like that often would be one of the best 4th liners in the league.

What I really liked last night is how much the 2nd 3rd an 4th lines focused on phases of transition. First get the puck out, guys supporting NZ puck movement, and getting the puck deep. Simple, effective. We were getting the puck deep consistently and showing battle in all areas of the ice to keep the puck up ice. This wa giving the much slower preds fits.

The Preds had no answer for when we play like this. If we trade zone time with Preds on a fairly equal basis we win. Simple as that. If we battle well enough in own zone Preds don't have a lot of offensive capacity to overcome reasonable checking. They then succumb to our much more skilled transition and talent.

People forget that over the last few seasons we have good success against the Preds and are 6-3 in last nine GP. We scored 29goals in those matchups and score 5 or more goals 3 times. We confound Nashville Preds on a fairly consistent basis. This is one of the few clubs in the league that we have their number. Its a good matchup for us anytime.

Last edited:

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
well I was right, high scoring using Oilers standards.

I love self quoters!
Especially those who promote there own vague predictions coming true!

Well done... I hear that fortune cookie scouts often patrol these waters looking for new talent!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Can actually play the game if he has the right puck support which Smyth provided admirably last night. Gaz is going to have some trouble handling the puck but playing with guys that keep it pretty basic and play a simple cycle like Joensuu and Smyth really helps Gazdics game. That and that Smyth is a very underrated player at transition and moving the puck up ice. Without that Gazdic spends way too much time in own end.

Smyth was the key player on this line last night and if he was able to play like that often would be one of the best 4th liners in the league.

What I really liked last night is how much the 2nd 3rd an 4th lines focused on phases of transition. First get the puck out, guys supporting NZ puck movement, and getting the puck deep. Simple, effective. We were getting the puck deep consistently and showing battle in all areas of the ice to keep the puck up ice. This wa giving the much slower preds fits.

The Preds had no answer for when we play like this.

the sad reality of it there is not many teams that can play with the oilers when the successfully transition the puck out of their zone with speed and dont get pinned. if we have a 4-5 top 4 dmen to move the puck quickly this team isnt anywhere near where they are now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
the sad reality of it there is not many teams that can play with the oilers when the successfully transition the puck out of their zone with speed and dont get pinned. if we have a 4-5 top 4 dmen to move the puck quickly this team isnt anywhere near where they are now.

I see it much differently. Yesterday Scrivens was calling the shots to his D pairings and defenders. This meant that the extra pair of eyes was helping his players to know where to go and win races to loose pucks. It also limited adherence to Eakins more questionable zone stratagem. Essentially last night Scrivens was the own zone coach.
Which helped the own zone and transition out immensely. We were giving Preds little time and space to operate. Because of Scrivens.

This lineup can transition puck and work reasonably well. A far inferior lineup did better last year under the reasonable coaching of Krueger. For instance Krueger emphasized puck support and players offering short passing targets to work puck up ice. This is what they were doing last night. Providing each puck support and working as a team.

Its odd how much credit Eakins gave Scrivens last night for calling out to the players. Ben had the team in front of him playing a game I hardly recognize from watching the oil this season. He gave on ice real time instruction. Something the coaching staff of this club does none of.

None of the players, forwards, or D, can really be evaluated due to how screwed up Eakins game plan and management has been.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Eakins post game comments on Scrivens are interesting. Nice to have a really vocal guy back there, hope the rest of the guys catch on and follow suit.

Potter and Belov are a fine 7 and 8 for this team going forward.

I don't really understand the Potter hate, he's probably better than N Schultz game in game out.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
No GDT yet so I guess I'll mention this here:

Eakins said today he felt Hall might be trying to be too responsible out there and overthinking things, wants him to loosen up a little and take some risks.

I have to say, regardless of Eakins' actual performance as coach, I enjoy his press conferences and he usually at least SAYS intelligent things, and I"m glad he's willing to learn from his mistakes.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I really did notice a lot more battling in the defensive zone yesterday which I'm not used to. Guys were on their man quickly and weren't giving them any passes except back to the D which Scrivens could see and handle easily.

Not sure if it was just Nashville's brutal offence or if I can credit Scrivens for the change but it was really nice to see.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I really did notice a lot more battling in the defensive zone yesterday which I'm not used to. Guys were on their man quickly and weren't giving them any passes except back to the D which Scrivens could see and handle easily.

Not sure if it was just Nashville's brutal offence or if I can credit Scrivens for the change but it was really nice to see.

We'll find out as soon as the Sedins hit the ice.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I see it much differently. Yesterday Scrivens was calling the shots to his D pairings and defenders. This meant that the extra pair of eyes was helping his players to know where to go and win races to loose pucks. It also limited adherence to Eakins more questionable zone stratagem. Essentially last night Scrivens was the own zone coach.
Which helped the own zone and transition out immensely. We were giving Preds little time and space to operate. Because of Scrivens.

This lineup can transition puck and work reasonably well. A far inferior lineup did better last year under the reasonable coaching of Krueger. For instance Krueger emphasized puck support and players offering short passing targets to work puck up ice. This is what they were doing last night. Providing each puck support and working as a team.

Its odd how much credit Eakins gave Scrivens last night for calling out to the players. Ben had the team in front of him playing a game I hardly recognize from watching the oil this season. He gave on ice real time instruction. Something the coaching staff of this club does none of.

None of the players, forwards, or D, can really be evaluated due to how screwed up Eakins game plan and management has been.

Scrivens will probably make a great coach one day...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Scrivens will probably make a great coach one day...

He's an improvement on Eakins etal already. :laugh:

Similarly Roli improved game management within MacT's coaching.

These are not just goalies..

love me some Scrivens so far.

Both the vocal Hendricks and Scrivens have been a breath of fresh air to a team that pretty much tuned out the coaching staff.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
A little stability and hard-work go a long way. I really hope that by the end of the season the Oil boys figure out just how important that extra little bit of effort makes over the course of the game. Good example of it last night.

The difference in having semi-reliable tending that won't let in a floater nearly every game is incredible. They can just trust Scrivens/Bryz and get on with their own games.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oh wait, Bryz is starting tonight. We can't test Scrivens' coaching yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad