Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 5-1 against the Lambton Shores Predators of the GOJHL

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Honestly if it was reversed and the Oilers had the 2 called off goals we'd very likely be *****ing as well saying our players were just driving to the net and how calling them off lost us the game because of squashed momentum... blah blah.

Looking at it as unbiased as I can though... they were the right calls... and really the Oilers have had **** calls go against them as well before so in the end these types of calls likely do even out in the long run even though it doesn't seem like it when several events like that happen to a team in quick succession.

I didn't see the first waved off Preds goal, but I did catch the replay of Smyth's goal and thought it should not have counted. As for the second one:if I saw one of our guys laying on top of Nashville's goalie for 5 seconds before we scored, I would have accepted it being called back.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
The difference between Smyth's goal and the two Nash ones is that he fell over the goalie AFTER the puck was already in... Those were all good calls, tonight.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I honestly think Hall will be better than Iginla one day. RNH I hope he can be a Sakic like centre - especially with that deadly wrist shot of his... but agree he needs to fill out.

Eberle and Yaks are the question marks for me. Both seem 2nd liners nothing in excess of 30 goals for either going forward in a season.

Too early to say that about Eberle and Yak.

Especially when Eberle has already potted 34 in a season. To say he will likely peak at nothing better than 30 again seems short-sighted.

I think Eberle is actually becoming underrated here on HFOil. He doesn't have the flash and dash that Hall has... or the smart playmaking ability that RNH does... but Eberle has a great set of hands and has "it". That ability to snipe and I don't think he's reached his peak. Players can develop and improve their game well into their late 20's and hell there's several 30+ year old players still putting up impressive numbers.

Eberle could be a fairly consistent 35-35 type player for years going forward and even if he's "only" a 30-30 type player... that's hardly "just" a 2nd line type asset.

Yak is far too early to write off as "just" a 30 goal scorer.. but again nothing wrong with that either.

If the Oilers were to have Eberle/Hall/RNH/Yak all average 30 goals per season that's half your team offense right there.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The usual pundits in this and the GDT singling out Gagner for whatever reason. Like always.

Guy plays a solid game and several posters on the board saying they liked everything about the team tonight except Gagner.

Not sure what they were watching.

Its like a script sometimes.
Not like, it is a script. A tired, old, hackneyed script.

I wouldn't say Gagner was great tonight, but he was miles better than the last game vs Phoenix.

Nice to see Smyth have another good game too.
Called it as soon as I saw Gagner with Perron and Yak. Yes this is a good 2nd line. One that barely stays together. Its the line many people wanted to see when we got Perron. That combination was always going to be win. We hardly ever see it.
I was calling for that line at the beginning of the year too.
The one time I did see them put together and left together for most of the game, they got murdered. It was ugly.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
We're a fanbase that leads the league in running people out of town.

Hai guise, did you know Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning? Hyuk hyuk.

MacT Bold! Bold MacT! Bold move! Hyuk hyuk.

______ sucks, get rid of him. I'd take nothing in return. Hyuk hyuk.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not like, it is a script. A tired, old, hackneyed script.

I wouldn't say Gagner was great tonight, but he was miles better than the last game vs Phoenix.

Nice to see Smyth have another good game too.
I was calling for that line at the beginning of the year too.
The one time I did see them put together and left together for most of the game, they got murdered. It was ugly.

Yep, the rest of the pregame hate expressed by some was zeroed in on Smyth. Its comical sometimes to see the comments pregame and see how quickly reality unravels those.

One interesting dynamic is that Smyth is fairly reviled on this board yet still very popular at the games.

I think to some degree young people that are more likely represented here in greater numbers have trouble seeing any value in some of the *older* players.

Smyth was the best player on the ice tonight for either squad hands down. Guy can still turn the clock back now and again. Good for him. Still want to see him hit 400goals.

Also, not one mention here anywhere of Smyth tying Gretz for Oiler PP goals tonight. Not one mention. Until now...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle and Yaks are the question marks for me. Both seem 2nd liners nothing in excess of 30 goals for either going forward in a season.

What are your expectations for a 1st liner?

Eberle is tied for the 8th in the league among right wingers in points. He was 8th last year and 4th the year before that.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
What are your expectations for a 1st liner?

Eberle is tied for the 8th in the league among right wingers in points. He was 8th last year and 4th the year before that.

The only possible first line is Crosby - Crosby - Crosby

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, the rest of the pregame hate expressed by some was zeroed in on Smyth. Its comical sometimes to see the comments pregame and see how quickly reality unravels those.

One interesting dynamic is that Smyth is fairly reviled on this board yet still very popular at the games.

I think to some degree young people that are more likely represented here in greater numbers have trouble seeing any value in some of the *older* players.

Smyth was the best player on the ice tonight for either squad hands down. Guy can still turn the clock back now and again. Good for him. Still want to see him hit 400goals.

Also, not one mention here anywhere of Smyth tying Gretz for Oiler PP goals tonight. Not one mention. Until now...

Smyth is peculiar. He has had a handful of REALLY good games. And quite a lot of really bad ones.

Tonight was one of those good games. He has more multi point games this year than single point games.

6 games he has 2 points or more. 4 others he has 1. Curiously he's also a PPG player in games the Oilers have won. 5 points in games they've lost.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Couple of things to consider tonight:

- If Nashville had started Dubnyk, why would the score have been?

- If MacT had not made the trade, and we had started Dubnyk against Nashville (and no Hendricks), what would the score have been?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Couple of things to consider tonight:

- If Nashville had started Dubnyk, why would the score have been?

- If MacT had not made the trade, and we had started Dubnyk against Nashville (and no Hendricks), what would the score have been?

8-3 oilers
5-0 perds

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
REBUILD SUCCESSFUL!

rebuild.jpg

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
Eakins when talking about how vocal Scrivens is. "It was like he was conducting an orchestra back there." :laugh:

Roloson was very vocal as well.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
This game really made me realize how bad of a season gagner is having. He's so much better than what he's shown this year and I have no doubt that he'll be a little more true to form come next season, more than likely on another squad. The face injury just doesn't have him playing to full potential. Hopefully he picks it up before he is traded and nets a good return. But at least it was nice to see him finally have a decent game last night. We've really been lacking that from the second line.

Good entertaining game by the Oil. Potter should not be playing, especially not paired with Belov. Scrivens played well, but I don't think he's a number one. If we had the D corps of LA than he'd be fine and we could still win. Alas, we do not. I wish we could pry Weber away from the preds. It would go such a long way in terms of him also prepping Klefbom, Nurse and Marincin and more than likely Ekblad.

Great game by the bottom 6, especially Smyth. When they showed the list of PPs by Oilers and the company that he is tied and will hopefully eventually beat, very impressive. Is Hendricks determination rubbing off on this team a bit? He started the comeback against PHO and seemed to push the boys a little more tonight. I can see why MacT wanted him so bad.

Last edited:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Wow..... I can count of 2 hands how many good games Smyth has played in the last 2 years. HF cherry picking at its finest. The reality is Smyth is in the death throes of what was a good career. Those suggesting he needs a new contract can knock it off. Smyth's last service to the team can be to play another good game or two so that we can get a 4 rd pick for him at the trade deadline. Good bye Smytty!!

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ryan Jones is +2 after 35 games. Potter is even after 15 games.

Marincin is +1 after 16 games.

I know +/- is more of a team stat but still pretty impressive that these players have managed to tread water on a team that's played so poorly all season.

Marincin especially has been a surprise to me as he's looked solid for a rookie dman playing 17+ minutes per game.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Scrivens is playing fantastic. I would have no problem seeing him as our number one next season, I really hope Mac-T resigns him. As long as he plays well here, there's no reason he shouldn't resign.

All the right guys scored tonight. Especially good to see Yak score. Kid deserves it, he plays so hard every night.

Hall has more points than Toews(in less games). Man, there's no doubt that this kid is the real deal. What a superstar. Cover-boy for NHL 15 forshow.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Ryan Jones is +2 after 35 games. Potter is even after 15 games.
Those guys also usually play significantly fewer minutes than the guys leading the team in minus do.

I think Potter gets overly criticized sometimes.
Honestly just because of his size and the fact that he will actually hit people from time to time, I'd rather have him in the lineup than N Schultz.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton

He's in elite company with those stats. I agree it should be a much bigger story. If we had won in '06, you could make a strong case to retire #94.

I also think Smyth will have surprisingly high value at the deadline. He's a strong playoff performer, knows what it takes to win, and would make an excellent depth addition for a playoff team. Nothing would make me happier than to see Smyth win a cup with a strong team like St. Louis or Anaheim. And if he does get traded, I'll instantly be cheering for that team in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad