Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Gauging Yaks game on last season is like suggesting that a QB is ready for primetime because he did well in the late stages of the game against a prevent defence.

Most of Yaks offence materialized when the season didnt matter.

There's been 7 + years of not mattering regardless of time of season. Yak needs fewer minutes and be played in certain spots just like Renny did with the other 3.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
There's been 7 + years of not mattering regardless of time of season. Yak needs fewer minutes and be played in certain spots just like Renny did with the other 3.

This.

And don't play him with Gagner.

Better still...don't play Gagner. Ever.

Its telling... how Arcobello can jump right in as an (older) rookie and absolutely out-play Gags' 5 ways from Friday.

There is, literally, nothing Arco doesn't do better than Gagner.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The games at the end of last season when other teams were playing out the string is a different matter alltogther.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
I think its a little early to judge Gagner after missing 10 games and having to play with a still recovering jaw. Looks like he's a little scared to go into the corners and be physical (not that his physical play is great) like he normally does. If he doesn't turn it around in the next 10 games or so I think you need to consider dealing him and possibly yak for some defense and goaltender help. As much as I like Yak, there's just something off this year and he isn't fitting on this team right now. Arco has proven thus far he can be the #2 centre and actually throws his 5'8 body, and maybe resign hemsky for cheap if he's willing if you deal yak.

Crosby was able to come back fine from a broken jaw. Let's face it Gagner sucks. He's bad at faceoffs and a defensive liability. If he is not producing points, he is useless on the ice. Arcobello should be the 2nd line Centre.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria

Actually he does.. Yak gets the most offensive zone starts by far out of all the forwards.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Arco has been great...kudos to him.

That said...when a career AHL'er leads this team in scoring that really speaks volumes.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
This.

Its telling... how Arcobello can jump right in as an (older) rookie and absolutely out-play Gags' 5 ways from Friday.

Not sure if that's 100% true but what happened to working your way back into the line up? Arcobello was working just fine where he was. It should be up to Gagne to upstage Arcobello and earn that spot back.

Just my 2 cents.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
I must say myself and others had doubts at first thinking Arco was a stop gap at centre but were we proven wrong. Arcobello is an NHL player. He can do it all-leads the team in hits (even for his smaller stature), top all rookie scoring, wins face-offs, great shot, versatile playing centre or wing, great skater, unselfish playmaker and makes things happen. He is a keeper. If he was 6'2" and 215 lbs., he would be in your top 6 fulltime.

Rumour of a Trade possibility- I hope the Oilers trade Hemsky for Chris Kreider (NYR). He is 22 and plays mainly centre (& LW) at 6'3", 230 lbs., the Rangers will probably want more from the Oilers.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I'm really not great at this, so someone let me know if I'm wrong. It looked to me like Yak was never, ever in the corners and his line mates (gags specifically) didn't seem interested in passing to him as he floated around.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov in AHL?...next to Omark?

wow would this place be fun to read with the Omark cult, and now the Yak cult all whining how their fav player has been done wrong.:laugh:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Got a little misty after the Fedun goal, what a great story. Plus Arco finally gets one, two beauties.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005

That said...when a career AHL'er leads this team in scoring that really speaks volumes.

I wouldn't typecast him as a "career AHLer". That makes it sound like he wasn't a prospect...which...he absolutely was until he got an opportunity to come into the NHL.

He may have been a little bit off our radar(s) because he didn't have the draft pick status of our other prospects, that's all.

Still...your key point is well taken. This guy is basically a walk-on and he's been our best player up to this point of the season.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007

Where he came from doesn't matter. Martin St. Louis wasn't even drafted and look what he became. Not saying Arco is the next St. Louis, but there's a lot of more than capable players in this league who didn't follow a traditional path.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The only person who can actually shoot the puck got basically no PP time. That being Yakupov, of course.

I DON'T GET IT.

Yep. this. Unbelievable.

Yak with 1 minute PP time, 12mins in total and cranks the best shot on this club.

Eberle, who hasn't scored a goal in 20 days and counting gets over 4mins PP time, 24mins on the night, and is completely ****ing useless. No other way to say it.

Nice brain cramp on the comeback goal for Florida Jordan Genius. If ANY player desrves to get benched. Instead he's out there half the time sucking.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I really thought Oilers played a very good game and Dubnyk let Florida back in. Score not indicator of play.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Dubnyk is... Markstrom. Markstrom IS Dubnyk! Markstrom is a man.. I kissed a.. No wait.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yep. this. Unbelievable.

Yak with 1 minute PP time, 12mins in total and cranks the best shot on this club.

Eberle, who hasn't scored a goal in 20 days and counting gets over 4mins PP time, 24mins on the night, and is completely ****ing useless. No other way to say it.

Nice brain cramp on the comeback goal for Florida Jordan Genius. If ANY player desrves to get benched. Instead he's out there half the time sucking.

Yeah I'd bench Eberle. Since this season is a write-off anyway, why not try to teach them how to play?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This.

Kind of unfair. Gagner right now is looking through a helmet with reduced visibility, has to worry about his jaw, and realistically probably shouldn't be out there. Arco has been good but to judge Gagner on whats happening right now is a bit odd. He's been horrible in the 3 GP.

Also, Arco is looking better than both of our top centers right now. Really for any kind of all round hockey this year I'd put Gordon and Arco over RNH and Gagner right about now.

The topline is just cluster**** stupid and I'm disappointed in RNH falling into Eberle's junk game so often this season. That third period by the topline was just embarassing. What 10 turnovers in own zone. Unfriggen real with a two goal lead. :shakehead
The topline wasn't tempting fate, they were handing this game back on a platter.

Lets start there with whats wrong with this club right now.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Bench anyone who continually plays soft and turns over the puck as a hobby. I don't care if they're making $1M or $6M.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
No they haven't. They got schooled against Kessel's line versus the Leafs and Ovechkin & Backstrom versus the Caps.

Those just happened to be the games that Yakupov was going head to head with those players for much of the game.

Yakupov was on for ALL 8 goals that Ovechkin and Kessel's lines scored. All 8.

How big of a pile of evidence do you need before you can admit that Yakupov is a train wreck defensively?

I have no problem giving him very sheltered, limited minutes, and getting benched when the Oilers are protecting a lead late.

I would probably give him a little more PP time, but its not like he's really been good there this season either.

Yak needs to earn his icetime if we want him to turn into a player that isn't a liability.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Actually he does.. Yak gets the most offensive zone starts by far out of all the forwards.

Most?

not true in the slightest considering the limited minutes he gets.

Whats with all the Yak criticism on the board and around the org?

He's barely hitting the ice.

Gotta real bad feeling that the Org is setting up fans for a soft landing on Yak by making it look like there wasn't much there in the first place. A trade of this player would be one of the worst things the org could do right now and would live to regret it. I'd rather have Yak on this club going forward than a lot of these clique floaters that decided Yak is an outcast.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Those just happened to be the games that Yakupov was going head to head with those players for much of the game.

Yakupov was on for ALL 8 goals that Ovechkin and Kessel's lines scored. All 8.

How big of a pile of evidence do you need before you can admit that Yakupov is a train wreck defensively?

I have no problem giving him very sheltered, limited minutes, and getting benched when the Oilers are protecting a lead late.

I would probably give him a little more PP time, but its not like he's really been good there this season either.

Yak needs to earn his icetime if we want him to turn into a player that isn't a liability.
The guy is basically still a rookie and just turned 20. Got about 60GP total in his career and playing on a club that is horrible as far as any system or team play. I worry about this because who really is Yak supposed to be looking at here for how the game is played. Taylor Hall? lol.

Too bad Perron has been out of the lineup. Theres a reasonable role model.

ps how did benching Yak and playing guys like Eberle work in the 3rd period? Right.

The topline has been owned every bit as much on some nights. Although with much more experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad