Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So I think its safe to say from what I have seen that the OKC Barons > Edmonton Oilers. What a joke that almost all our call ups are performing better then most of the NHL regulars they were called up to replace.

Jul 19, 2012
Yakupov has totally lost his confidence. RW, benched, LW, RW. 1st line 3rd line, 2nd line, Eakins has totally ****ed this players head up. He develops players in the AHL but this ain't the AHL. It is not a developmental league. He is destroying Yakupov.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
I only watched half the game, but when I saw Yakupov I thought he looked really good. He was obviously trying to utilize his teammates, and made a few solid passes in the offensive zone that lead to scoring opportunities.

As others have said, it's pretty obvious he's being treated with another set of rules than other players on the team.

They managed to take our best offensive player at the end of last year and make him scared to make a play or take a shot. Excellent job Eakins.

Also, it has been a while since Ive seen a win that ugly. Dubnyk should retire. As others said back when I supported him, he's automatic for a softy every single game.

We finally get a guy with a lethal shot, let's turn him into a two way player

#oiler logic

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He didn't mark Upshall on the first Florida goal. he also did a couple of fly-by's in the game.

I want Yakupov to succeed as much as anyone, but he costs the Oilers a goal against essentially every game he plays.

How Kreuger handled him last year was smart. Give Yak more time with leads when he shows that his defense is improving, and not before.

He didn't mark Goc on the first goal... because he was going to cover his man at the point, Campbell, which is where the pass was going. Until Goc -- Gagner's man -- came in off the bench.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't get all the talk of yakupov, he is a 20 year old that is having confidence issues.... so what, he will come around.

I think the best moves are the ones you don't make. build around the core players, don't trade them.

Right now we need some size and grit, a goalie, and perhaps a better d man. Don't trade yaks.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Glad we won, but oh my god Dubnyk has been brutal this season. Missing that tying goal was pathetic.

Eakins is really messing up Yakupov. At the very least give him PP time if he's going to bench him for things that the rest of the team doesn't get benched for.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

#oiler logic

Nothing wrong with demanding defensive accountability of a player, even less wrong with pushing a player out of his comfort zone to make him better.

But scapegoating a player while hypocritically giving free reign to other defensively irresponsible players is just asinine.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

#oiler logic

You need to be a complete player now to make it in the NHL. I think the best thing we could do for Yak is send him down to the A and let him get away from the circus in Edmonton.

Oct 30, 2011
I don't get all the talk of yakupov, he is a 20 year old that is having confidence issues.... so what, he will come around.

I think the best moves are the ones you don't make. build around the core players, don't trade them.

Right now we need some size and grit, a goalie, and perhaps a better d man. Don't trade yaks.

Actually thought Smyth being on his line helped him calm down a bit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was a bad play by Eberle, but Hemsky had full control of the puck, even had time to look up to see where he was going.

He still passed it directly into the opposing player.

If you can't see how bad that play was on Hemsky's part, you are just displaying the same bias you are accusing others of, just in favor of Hemsky instead of against him.

This team still has an abundance of "STUPID" in its game and Hemsky leads the way...followed closely by Jones.

Hemsky is 30 years old...he will never figure this out and he is hurting this team.

Bad play by Eberle as well but that wasnt the reason for the goal IMO.

Good that they won but there are still so many issues with this team. :shakehead

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Dubnyk with trademark back-breaking goal.

Gagner with trademark blown defensive coverage.

But it's all good. They won. All I can ask for right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I liked when they showed the bench after the Panthers tied the game.. everyone just staring ahead quietly, probably thinking "did he really just let in another one like that?"

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
You need to be a complete player now to make it in the NHL. I think the best thing we could do for Yak is send him down to the A and let him get away from the circus in Edmonton.

No this would **** him up completely. You don't just get drafted 1st overall just to be send down to a development league, that's June wrong.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He didn't mark Upshall on the first Florida goal. he also did a couple of fly-by's in the game.

I want Yakupov to succeed as much as anyone, but he costs the Oilers a goal against essentially every game he plays.

How Kreuger handled him last year was smart. Give Yak more time with leads when he shows that his defense is improving, and not before.

Exactly.

The ONLY time Yak is effective is when he has the puck in the offensive zone. The rest of his game stinks.

Its amazing to me that a large number of posters were pitching Yak for 1st line duty before the season started.

Eakins has done some questionable things but I am glad he wasn't daft enough to play Yak on the 1st line.

He is a young player but probably the most clueless young player I have watched in some time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Really disturbing as to the amount of clear cut chances this team gives up to guys coming through or sitting between the circles. It just keeps happening and guys keep missing their mark.

And I for one am getting sick of all these pretty cute little passes and tic tac toe attempts on the PP. There is a reason our PP sucks IMO, and it's because we don't throw it on the net enough and generate shots and rebounds. Get Hemsky off the dammed unit once and for all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone know why Ben Eager is on this team? What does he do?

Oh ya, he's a tough guy.:laugh:

Sorry, flush him when the extra bodies come back. A completely useless turd. No heart, no physicality and no passion. He is dead to me.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Exactly.

The ONLY time Yak is effective is when he has the puck in the offensive zone. The rest of his game stinks.

Its amazing to me that a large number of posters were pitching Yak for 1st line duty before the season started.

Eakins has done some questionable things but I am glad he wasn't daft enough to play Yak on the 1st line.

He is a young player but probably the most clueless young player I have watched in some time.

Mate, are you serious? I can count the number of defensively adequate players on this team on one hand. There's clearly a huge difference in how Yakupov is being treated compared to the rest of the players on the team.

Im all for teaching the kid to be defensively responsible, but he's also not being played where he is effective. It's like Eakins is purposely handcuffing him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No this would **** him up completely. You don't just get drafted 1st overall just to be send down to a development league, that's June wrong.

Well if you want him to be a great player Id be sending him down and telling him what to work on or I'd be looking to trade him. Spezza seemed to turn out alright after spending a year in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad