Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 4-3 ... Arcobello for MVP

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Most?

not true in the slightest considering the limited minutes he gets.

Whats with all the Yak criticism on the board and around the org?

He's barely hitting the ice.

Gotta real bad feeling that the Org is setting up fans for a soft landing on Yak by making it look like there wasn't much there in the first place. A trade of this player would be one of the worst things the org could do right now and would live to regret it. I'd rather have Yak on this club going forward than a lot of these clique floaters that decided Yak is an outcast.

Someone has to be the goat, and since he's not scoring it's easy not to look over his 'rookie' mistakes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Dubnyk was the only reason this game was as close as it was. Markstrom made several key saves to keep it a 3-1 game, and sure enough...

This guy has to get it together. The first and third goals were perfectly stoppable.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Most?

not true in the slightest considering the limited minutes he gets.

Whats with all the Yak criticism on the board and around the org?

He's barely hitting the ice.

Gotta real bad feeling that the Org is setting up fans for a soft landing on Yak by making it look like there wasn't much there in the first place. A trade of this player would be one of the worst things the org could do right now and would live to regret it. I'd rather have Yak on this club going forward than a lot of these clique floaters that decided Yak is an outcast.

Well I'm not actually criticizing Yak, especially if you look at my previous posts. But percentage wise (ainec) he gets the most offensive zone starts, along with the tougher competition, which puts him in the "two way" category

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Someone has to be the goat, and since he's not scoring it's easy not to look over his 'rookie' mistakes.

The funny thing is whenever I post that Yak during his tenure here has just as many goals scored as anybody on this club the room goes quiet. Every friggen time.

He gives up years in age and experience to some of these guys that look like they haven't figured out how to score an NHL goal.

If Yak was seeing anywhere near the PP minutes Eberle was he'd probably be leading this club in goals this year as well.

Meanwhile Arco, one of the few players on this club with brains, realized he's seen this goalie before a lot and scouted tendencies and went high all night. Almost scored a hat trick.. Interestingly not one of the goal scoring rocket scientists on this club even bothered to follow Arcos example by going high.

This was a poor goaltending dispaly and none of our go to guys got it done. None.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Dubnyk was the only reason this game was as close as it was. Markstrom made several key saves to keep it a 3-1 game, and sure enough...

This guy has to get it together. The first and third goals were perfectly stoppable.

Markstrom was horrible and should've been schooled. He was giving up top of net all night long and plays off the post on shortsides something weird. One of the few goalies I've seen this year that I'd have less faith in than Dubnyk.

jebus this game was a gift. We didn't create much of anything tonight against a poor club. For once we faced a stiff in net.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Markstrom was horrible and should've been schooled. He was giving up top of net all night long and plays off the post something weird. One of the few goalies I've seen this year that I'd have less faith in than Dubnyk.

jebus this game was a gift. We didn't create much of anything tonight against a poor club. For once we faced a stiff in net.

True, but the Panthers created significantly less than we did.

Just imagine we have to play Stamkos next game...

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Those just happened to be the games that Yakupov was going head to head with those players for much of the game.

Yakupov was on for ALL 8 goals that Ovechkin and Kessel's lines scored. All 8.

How big of a pile of evidence do you need before you can admit that Yakupov is a train wreck defensively?

I have no problem giving him very sheltered, limited minutes, and getting benched when the Oilers are protecting a lead late.

I would probably give him a little more PP time, but its not like he's really been good there this season either.

Yak needs to earn his icetime if we want him to turn into a player that isn't a liability.

You know who else was on the ice for all those goals? Eberle

Remember how RNH was schooled like the defensively immature player he is by Backstrom when playing Washington? Or better yet, remember when Eakins matched up a 20 year old struggling player in Yakupov against Ovechkin?

Plug in Hemsky on RNH/Eberle's wings, and you get the exact same problem, a line that can't play defense as tonight showed.

Yakupov isn't good enough yet, but he isn't the problem. Have to look up the roster to the sacrosanct wonder-boys making 6 million per year for that, not to mention the coach who thinks they'll just stop being defensive washouts if he plays them against the best players in the league long enough at the expense of team success.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If Yak was seeing anywhere near the PP minutes Eberle was he'd probably be leading this club in goals this year as well.

What are you even talking about?

Yakupov is 5th among Oilers forwards in PP time with 37 minutes.

He's seeing 30 less seconds per game on the PP then Eberle.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
True, but the Panthers created significantly less than we did.

Just imagine we have to play Stamkos next game...

lets see if the Oilers even recognize his number. Somebody point it out in the game day program or something..

Man, Panthers looked like a scoring juggernaut against us as they repeatedly got chances with the trailer.

These guys have played hockey an average of 25yrs and they don't read somebody coming late. Sam Gagner was horrible. Back to school. Nobody else was better.

Reads are horrible on this club. Stamkos should be drooling.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Two awful teams.

Dubnyk almost killed us again. Again!

Jordan Eberle is the cancer of this team and always has been. His piss poor commitment to team play and defence is what holds this team down. He continues to drift along through three coaches, shining up their apples, doing whatever he wants and is never held accountable, never sat out. He got lots of points in Regina but the team was junk. Everyone says trade Yak when I say trade him. This team will be better if he gets dealt for a decent return. Trade him before he's untradeable.

Speaking of Yak, it's hard to give him more minutes when he is playing so completely awful right now. This team needs him but he's just awful right now. I can't excuse the benchings and the scratches but other guys should be benched and scratched as well.

Arcobello is better than pre-injury Gagner. Plus he wins faceoffs and hits and defends and gives a crap. One has just been dealt a much better hand because he was picked 7th overall and didnt go to college.

Junk beat junk tonight. Barely.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Those just happened to be the games that Yakupov was going head to head with those players for much of the game.

Yakupov was on for ALL 8 goals that Ovechkin and Kessel's lines scored. All 8.

How big of a pile of evidence do you need before you can admit that Yakupov is a train wreck defensively?

I have no problem giving him very sheltered, limited minutes, and getting benched when the Oilers are protecting a lead late.

I would probably give him a little more PP time, but its not like he's really been good there this season either.

Yak needs to earn his icetime if we want him to turn into a player that isn't a liability.

Agree 100%. He has all the talent in the world, but he needs to develop a more complete game

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What are you even talking about?

Yakupov is 5th among Oilers forwards in PP time with 37 minutes.

He's seeing 30 less seconds per game on the PP then Eberle.

Strange way to look at it.

Lets not forget yak was benched 2 games this year. Should I bring out the Petr Klima quote?

Eberle has 15 more PP minutes this year. Not insignificant. EBerle also has played 120bmore minutes this year for no great reason.

Get back to me when Eberle gets benched. Not a more deserving playr for it right now.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You know who else was on the ice for all those goals? Eberle

He was on for 7 of them.

Remember how RNH was schooled like the defensively immature player he is by Backstrom when playing Washington? Or better yet, remember when Eakins matched up a 20 year old struggling player in Yakupov against Ovechkin?

Plug in Hemsky on RNH/Eberle's wings, and you get the exact same problem, a line that can't play defense as tonight showed.

Those players aren't great defensively no doubt. They are better then Yakupov however and its not really very close.

Yakupov isn't good enough yet, but he isn't the problem. Have to look up the roster to the sacrosanct wonder-boys making 6 million per year for that, not to mention the coach who thinks they'll just stop being defensive washouts if he plays them against the best players in the league long enough at the expense of team success.

Yakupov is definitely part of the problem. I don't see how limiting his minutes to times in the game when he has a chance to succeed will hurt him in the long run.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The Oilers are batting a terrible 1 for 5 when the other teams pulls their goalie.

New Jersey, Toronto, and Florida forced OT. At least 5 of 6 points were gained.
Montreal scored once, but needed two to tie (someone forgot to tell Gionta that, but I digress...)
Ottawa is the only team that failed to score.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
And our 4th line is awful. I'm tired of watching those guys flop around trying to get the puck out of our end and giving up chance galore. Keep Gazidic, send the other two down and replace them with Lander and Omark.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Strange way to look at it.

Lets not forget yak was benched 2 games this year. Should I bring out the Petr Klima quote?

Eberle has 15 more PP minutes this year. Not insignificant. EBerle also has played 120bmore minutes this year for no great reason.

Get back to me when Eberle gets benched. Not a more deserving playr for it right now.

Yak has 1 PP point in 37 minutes. So if he had another 15 he'd have 1.5 points on the PP?

I'm not sure why you are making the argument that Yak would be leading the team in scoring if given another 15 minutes of PP time. I don't think that's a very reasonable argument to make.

Eberle has played a lot more time at ES.

Eberle GA/60-3.74
Yakupov GA/60-5.16 (team worst)

Eberle is also getting 48% offensive zone starts to Yakupov's 68%.

Do you really think Yakupov has been outplaying Eberle this year?

Edmonton's largest problem this season has been goals against. How does giving Yakupov more time at the expense of better defensive players make that problem any better?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He was on for 7 of them.

Those players aren't great defensively no doubt. They are better then Yakupov however and its not really very close.

Yakupov is definitely part of the problem. I don't see how limiting his minutes to times in the game when he has a chance to succeed will hurt him in the long run.

You're comparing Eberle, 3.5 yrs older, and in his 4th pro season with a player that still realistically speaking is in his rookie year and saying one is better defensively"no doubt"?

lol

If Eberle isn't better defensively than a rookie at this tenure in his career he should be taken out back and shot.

You might not be meaning it, and I can read into what you are trying to say, but the posts just kind of add to the Yak sucks, get rid of him ethos all around right now.

Really I do get the feeling this market is being sold on a Yak trade. The scapegoating by team, players, fans, perhaps contributing to making that easier.

I would far rather get rid of Eberle before the league completely figures out what a sham his game is.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
The Oilers are batting a terrible 1 for 5 when the other teams pulls their goalie.

New Jersey, Toronto, and Florida forced OT. At least 5 of 6 points were gained.
Montreal scored once, but needed two to tie (someone forgot to tell Gionta that, but I digress...)
Ottawa is the only team that failed to score.

So ridiculous and brutal. Complete lack of composure and guts. This team just gets too nervous at winning time.

Gretter

Jul 1, 2013
while it is very difficult to defend Yaks play, it sure is worrisome to see one of our supposed "leaders" in Gagner repeatedly refuse to dish to Nail. multiple times tonight when Yak was either the player in the best position to head man it to or in the slot for a high quality shot and it doesn't go to him. Tough to break that mentality that I believe is strong with Hall, ebs, nuge and now gags.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Great story with Fedun, nice to see Arco pop two aswell. I was laughing when the 'Cats' tied it, twice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yak has 1 PP point in 37 minutes. So if he had another 15 he'd have 1.5 points on the PP?

I'm not sure why you are making the argument that Yak would be leading the team in scoring if given another 15 minutes of PP time. I don't think that's a very reasonable argument to make.
Its a perfectly reasonable argument to make. Yak has 18 goals scored in his tenure here. Eberle despite playing way more minutes, and way more PP minutes, and the vast majority of it on topline has 19. Given a reversed situation in minutes, lines, PP units I wonder what the scoreline looks like.

This is Yak matching Eberle, despite the org spotting Jordan every advantage and Eberle being an NHL veteran.

Eberle has played a lot more time at ES.

Eberle GA/60-3.74
Yakupov GA/60-5.16 (team worst)

Eberle is also getting 48% offensive zone starts to Yakupov's 68%.

Do you really think Yakupov has been outplaying Eberle this year?
I didn't say he was "outplaying" Eberle. I do think he's more of a goal scorer than Eberle going forward. Wanna bet on that? The only thing in my mind that could prevent Yak from being more of an NHL goal scorer than eberle going forward is if Yak opts for KHL which still might happen given the sour faces he's getting from certain *team mates* here. Disgusting really that Hall and Eberle are treating a rook in this manner. seems they'd know better and it hasn't been all that long..

Edmonton's largest problem this season has been goals against. How does giving Yakupov more time at the expense of better defensive players make that problem any better?
The argument started as you recall in a discussion about whether it made more sense to play Yak on say an OT PP than Eberle, who hasn't scored a goal in 20 days. That was the argument, that Yak offers more goal scoring potential and the team could get him going. He had 1min on the PP tonight.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008

I think it would wake the team up. I think it might even wake him up.

But it will never happen. Three coaches through and Eberle just gets to do whatever he wants. Never any repercussions and instead the coaches resort to pansy passive aggressive comments through the media which the players have no respect for and make the coach look like a total joke in the players' eyes. Rinse, lather, repeat. Year after year this team just sucks. Hall would be better without him, RNH would be better without him. If they got even a remotely decent return for him this whole team would be better without him. And the other players would know that playtime is over and who the boss is.

The players have no respect for the coaches or management, period. They want to win playing the game they want to, not the game that will actually make this team good.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

They're older, and in Eberle's case, significantly so in the realm of young players, and saying they are better and it's not even close is a massive overstatement.

When opposing players say the Oiler players play like a junior team, they aren't referring to a struggling bit player like Yakupov who hasn't really made a mark in the league yet, they are referring to the 6 million dollar a year players the Oilers have gone all in on and trump up as future NHL stars, yet are among the easiest players to play against on the entire team.

Eberle himself has displayed high levels of apathy and indifference to a two way game, and has virtually no grit to his game. RNH at least tries, but is roadkill to any top line center in the NHL, and probably will be for a few more years yet.

I don't have a problem with Yakupov getting a smaller role or limited minutes, but the scapegoating by the coaching staff while other players are given a free pass is a major problem.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
And our 4th line is awful. I'm tired of watching those guys flop around trying to get the puck out of our end and giving up chance galore. Keep Gazidic, send the other two down and replace them with Lander and Omark.

I don't agree on the call ups but I agree about the 4th line. They are dead weight out there. Acton wouldn't make any NHL team his dad wasn't coaching. MacT talked about getting rid of players that the best you could hope for was that they wouldn't hurt you, and then signs more guys exactly like that.

Fully healthy our 4th line should be Arcobello in the middle with 2 of Smyth, Gazdic or Jones on the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: