Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Predators @ 5pm GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think McLellan is not quick to change certain things. Also, as good as Yak has been and as supportive the fans are of him now, if McLellan puts him in the top 6 and he does badly, there will be the same crowd of people turning on Yakupov and wanting him traded for nothing like what we saw last year.

It's still so early, and I'm fine with McLellan not taking the knee-jerk style of decision making. He is a great coach and will give Yak his due in time.
I think they feel the same way about Yak as they do about Drai. They want him to succeed but don't want to give them too much responsibility before they believe they are ready. They both have a bunch to work on still and Drai is doing it in the ahl and Yak is doing it with safer minutes.

Putting Korpi on the 2nd line doesn't hurt Korpikoskis development, and in a way helps McDavid as he won't draw as much attention anymore.

McLellan has a good track record with getting young players ready so I'm not worried about how he is "treating" Yak

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They don't have anyone like Tarasenko. Forsberg is not on that level.

They are still a major opponent but I think we at least look decent. Decent enough to win with some luck and with some good performances.

McDeathbyCheerios*

They don't have anyone like Tarasenko. Forsberg is not on that level.

They are still a major opponent but I think we at least look decent. Decent enough to win with some luck and with some good performances.
Riberio is their top line center. Their forward depth is suspect but their d makes up for it. Should be a fun game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We have a generational prospect on our team in only his second ever NHL game, and he's not on the list of things to be excited about?

I mean, you can be spoiled and need another generational prospect to come along to get excited about because the current one is boring after 1 scoreless game, it makes no difference to me. I just can't fathom how people are so soured around here so quickly. There's still 81 games left in the season, how ridiculous is it going to be to look and and remember how at game 1 everyone was going nuts/dejected already.

Edit: I'll add to that, that everyone who's down and out already are really showing their true colors as far as being reasonable, knowledgeable hockey fans goes. For god sakes, everyone should know that you don't jump off the bridge after one bad day. I'm glad the people running the show are not you guys. ****

Forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy about Purcell and Korpikoski in the top 6 and Ference in for Reinhart.
I was talking about the top 2 lines being unexciting, not McDavid himself. The 3rd line is interesting.
I was happy with the effort against St. Louis so I'm not being pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.

I'm just a fan so I don't claim to know more than Mclellan, just stating my opinion on the lineup. Would love to be wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the first time that I'd be wrong.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Fayne
Ference-Gryba

Why? Just... Why?

No. You know what? I trust you, McKoala. I trust you.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I like most things Oilers thus far, however

Line 1 (Purcell = brutal )
Line 2 (Korpikowski = 4th line)
Line 3 (Slepy = AHL)

Without Eberle & Draisaitle our FWD Lines all have a weak player on every one of them.

3-2 Nashville

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we couldn't score against St. Louis, we won't score against Nashville.

4-0 Predators. Forsberg, Wilson, Jones, and Ribeiro
By that train of thought we won't score against St Louis, Nashville, NYR, Montreal, Chicago, Calgary or Anaheim all year...man what a rough time...

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Fayne
Ference-Gryba

Why? Just... Why?

No. You know what? I trust you, McKoala. I trust you.
Bringing in a veteran, leadership presence to help calm the team down. Last game they were so nervous and it took the Oilers forever to get into the game. Reinhart was our best d-man, but at the end of the day he's still a rookie, and the only rookie on defense. It makes sense that he's the one Ference fills in for tonight.
By that train of thought we won't score against St Louis, Nashville, NYR, Montreal, Chicago, Calgary or Anaheim all year...man what a rough time...

NYR, Montreal, Chicago's defense are nowhere near that level. Calgary's d got shredded in game one by Vancouver.

We generated hardly any good offensive chances against St. Louis. It's not like we were close to scoring. Nashville should have no problem shutting us down too.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Riberio is their top line center. Their forward depth is suspect but their d makes up for it. Should be a fun game.

I think their forwards are actually pretty underrated.

Two 60 point and four 40 point players in their top 6 is pretty damn good.

Arvidsson and Jarnkrok look like good young players on their 3rd line and Gaustad was the next closest player to Gordon for heavy lifiting on the 4th line last season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like most things Oilers thus far, however

Line 1 (Purcell = brutal )
Line 2 (Korpikowski = 4th line)
Line 3 (Slepy = AHL)

Without Eberle & Draisaitle our FWD Lines all have a weak player on every one of them.

3-2 Nashville

I can agree with that, plus I think Reinhart was great, and he's sitting for Ference.

Our forwards are better though. If a few guys can bounce back in our D, namely Sekera and Klefbom, then we will have a good chance to win.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I can agree with that, plus I think Reinhart was great, and he's sitting for Ference.

Our forwards are better though. If a few guys can bounce back in our D, namely Sekera and Klefbom, then we will have a good chance to win.

Nailed it. Sekera and Klefbom have to be much better than they were last game. Schultz exceeded expectations, Fayne was what we expected, Gryba was better than expected. It was our top 2-dmen who disappointed and obviously that's going to hurt us the most.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Honestly I hate how Fayne plays. He can't make a pass to save his life. Off the glass and out at all times, which sucks when you have so many skilled forwards who want to be able to skate the puck out.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
In this thread..

People not understand line make up and just think putting your best players at the top is how to form lines. If so the majority of teams in the league are doing it wrong.

Hall - RNH - Purcell
The line makes sense for the fact that Purcell needs skilled players to cover for his faults and he would be even more of a liability.

Pouliot - McDavid - Korpikoski
McDavid gets 2 vets to help, Korpikoski is good on the forecheck and pretty good at possession, Pouliot can crash the net and has a pretty good finishing ability and getting to the open spots.

Slepy - Lander - Yakupov is a line that might actually be our best line due to all 3 being tenacious forechekers and both wingers having killer shots and Lander having a nose for the net.

The one thing we have to remember is the staff sees the players in practice and they have more of an idea about what's working and what's not right now then we do. If 10 games in they keep trying things that look weird I'll be concerned too but for the first few games the staff has more to go on then we do.

Great post. I want Yak to be paired with McYumyum as much as anyone else, but there's a method to the madness.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Will this game be on the GlobalTV website? When I checked the website schedule it says global news instead. Must watch this game while I'm at work.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Great post. I want Yak to be paired with McYumyum as much as anyone else, but there's a method to the madness.

I'd also like to add that, while I think Purcell is garbage, if he's in the lineup, he should be with Hall, so Hall can drag him kicking, and screaming, along with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad