Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Predators @ 5pm GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Seeing as no one signed up for this game's GDT, I'll make one up for noon-ish.

In the mean time, please discuss here.

Oilers lineup

Hall-RNH-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Korpikoski
Yak-Lander-Slepyshev
Hendricks-Letestu-Klink

Klefbom-Schultz
Sekera-Fayne
Ference-Gryba

Talbot

Last edited by a moderator:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Nashville is good no doubt, but there is nothing about their roster that screams 'unwinnable game' to me in the way St. Louis does.

:nod:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If Mcdavid scores I will be so happy! I think once he scores that first one then the floodgates will open

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What is the thought process behind Korpikoski instead of Yakupov on the line with Pouliot and McDavid? Am I the only one who thinks this makes no sense at all?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What is the thought process behind Korpikoski instead of Yakupov on the line with Pouliot and McDavid? Am I the only one who thinks this makes no sense at all?

It's either Mclellan wants to spread offense out OR, as some have speculated, there is something every coach saw in Yakupov that makes them leery of putting him up "higher" in the line up.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Maybe TMac likes the chemistry with Yak and Lander, ...but not going to lie, I REALLY want to see what Yakupov and McDavid would look like.

Never know though, as I can see TMac trying it out a shift or two during the game...

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Nashville is good no doubt, but there is nothing about their roster that screams 'unwinnable game' to me in the way St. Louis does.

:nod:

You don't think their D is considerably better than the Blues? Not to mention their goaltending being an even wider margin? I get that they don't have a Tarasenko type of talent up front, but I think they're better than the Blues overall.

I think we're looking at another 3-1 loss.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You don't think their D is considerably better than the Blues? Not to mention their goaltending being an even wider margin? I get that they don't have a Tarasenko type of talent up front, but I think they're better than the Blues overall.

Didn't we own the season splits the last few years with Eakins coaching?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

This.

Nashville is arguably better than Louis. We should lose this one in similar fashion.

The good thing about hockey tho is any team can beat any team on any given night.

This is where we will see coaching having an impact.

I would be a tiny bit impressed if we can come out and play a decent 60ish like we did against Louis. Players suffering as much as many of these Oilers have can quickly slide into dispair.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Blues have a better team all Round. Nah has a better defense and goaltending but the Blues play a better team defense and are harder to play against as they have much better forwards than Nashville.

That and Nashville seems to give us space all the time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Don't want to make this a Yak thread but it seems really simple and straight forward to me.

Yak still struggles defensively. He visually just isn't there yet despite looking much better so far this year.

You can't put a player like yak with a rookie... Or shouldn't until all other options are exhausted.

Sure the could rack up goals potentially but the true goal is to win hockey games and a yak McDAvid combo is extremely likely to leak goals against in a detrimental way.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Only part of your analysis that I agree with is that Rinne is a better goalie.

Nashville isn't better than St. Louis anywhere else, and they are a lot worse at forward.

I'm not saying we're going to win, or even that we're the favorite, because we aren't. I just think we should be producing more and conceding less in this game.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Nashville struggled mightily to eek out a 2-1 W versus Carolina.

With our systems, we have a shot, and over the last few years we have proven to be able to win a game or two in Nashville.

3-2 Oilers.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Its gonna be hilarious around here when the honeymoon with McLellan wears off...

For me it won't wear off for a while, IMO if things don't work out then players will be traded. We have a legitimate coach and I'll trust what he does. The line McDavid is on means that he will carry the puck and make things happen, the other two just have to be in position and score or dig pucks out

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I would argue that Nashville and St. Louis are on par with each other in terms of their d corps. Rinne > Elliot, Blues forwards >> Nashville forwards.

It's a winnable game and I don't think the Nashville style of play under Laviolette is as toxic to the Oilers as Hitchcok's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad