Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
moment of silence for the Flames before each Mcdavid shift?

I imagine it would be a moment of silence then prayer... 'Lord Connor McJesus, Son of Hockey God, have mercy on me, a sinner...a mere shinny player.' Many teams, such as Sault Ste. Marie, have died with the one word 'McJesus' on their lips."

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is one of those scary trap games where the team needs to not take their opponent for granted. I want to see them just freaking BURY these guys tonight.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Should be a compelling game.

Think of it from a Flames perspective. Think of how much they'll want this one. At the same time we're in a weird place where we have the most confidence as a team in years, and guys like Nurse and Draisaitl are playing to stay, knowing they are meant to be in the A right now as per the plan.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
As long as they stick to the systems that McLellan is trying to instill in their heads and don't try and entertain (run and gun) they should beat the Flames. Just limit the Flames chances and pounce when the opportunities present themselves and this should be an easy win.

Will they do it? That is why they play the games and we all watch them, right?

Hope Nurse continues his progression. He is looking good so far.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Should be a compelling game.

Think of it from a Flames perspective. Think of how much they'll want this one. At the same time we're in a weird place where we have the most confidence as a team in years, and guys like Nurse and Draisaitl are playing to stay, knowing they are meant to be in the A right now as per the plan.

the fact that they got humiliated last night, right after some hope the previous game from Brodie returning, tells me that the Flames will go all out today. They also have a very good first line that could easily score a bunch of goals if they get some good bounces. Our D might be just the thing that the Flames need to break through more.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We better treat this one like a playoff game. Get your ***** in gear tonight, boys, I want to **** the Flames up.

Edit: Hah, that's funny. Ass isn't filtered, but ***es is.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Flames aren't just playing their second game in a B2B, they're playing their 5th game in 7 nights.

Historically, even amongst good teams, squads that are on the tail end of back to back games post worse numbers in those situations than they do in any other. It's not just that they're tired, it's that they didn't get the time to practice and prepare.

There is no excuse to get outworked or to get countered in our gameplan tonight. An Oilers loss won't come because the Flames are "hungry and embarrassed", they've been hungry and embarrassed for weeks. It will have to come because the Oilers didn't show up with the effort they needed.

Quite a few bad patterns are being broken this year. Let's hope that's one of them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't have a good feeling about this game.

Even McLellan said he's wondering which team will show up. Whenever EDM gets a little bit of confidence they go into a game and completely get away from everything and just sort of revert back to old habits -- Like they accomplished something amazing and feel like they can "take a break and coast". McLellan wants the team to continue to put the foot to the gas. Get the feeling it'll be option #1. :cry:

I mean Calgary is just God awful. They have no confidence and are playing a back to back. Common sense any other team would come out hard and take it to them, but we all know that never tends to be the case with the Oil. :help: A very small percentage in me thinks they will do just that and the reason it's so low is that we all know how often they go back to old habits. It'll take a long time for me to fully believe they can play hard on a nightly basis.

I agree.
This game will tell us a lot about this team. If they win and win big then they are further along than I think they are.
There is no excuse not to win this game. The Flames are a very tired team with bad goaltending and little to no confidence. We shall see if the Oilers give them the gift of confidence. Thats exactly what they would have done in the past.

I have no idea what to expect tonight except to say that this game wont be as easy as some think.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So the Oilers site says that Reinhart is a game time decision. They say Hendricks is very close as well.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think a big factor in tonight's game (apart from whether McDavid decides to single handedly win the game from the mere mortals) is whether Nurse can keep up his form. It's actually insane how when he's playing well, he brings basically every single aspect we're missing on the blue line.

If Nurse plays like he has been playing, I expect a win.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I actually feel confident that we're going to win tonight. That means we'll probably lose, but I don't know. I don't feel any dread whatsoever. I think Hall has a big game tonight.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Lose and nothing has changed. Same old Oilers.

A win would be huge. Would show they actually turning the page. I'm hopeful, but so used to disappointment I expect a loss.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good feeling about this one. Flames got drubbed last night and they are mentally fragile in addition to having the worst goaltending in the NHL.

Score early, score often.

BTW, Flames fans are advocating a brawl to start the game off and/or running McDavid.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Gonna be a good one tonight. What I'm hoping for (a total annihilation) and what COULD happen though, are 2 totally polar opposites. Like many others, I really don't know what to expect. A must win game for both clubs IMO. This would go far for the Oil to win this. I'm sure McLellan is trying to pound that into their heads.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Win tonight and the team goes 5-7 in October. No one would have predicted an almost .500 record for the Oilers in October with the the schedule they had.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im hoping for another streak here, this time 4 games.

Huge game really, should be a statement from the team, if we see it good things await this year.

calvinguy

Sep 12, 2010
I've watched a couple of Calgary games and they are an absolute mess. Horrible goaltending and defence. Their forwards don't produce much offensive pressure either except for the Johnny g line. There is no reason we should lose this game.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Good feeling about this one. Flames got drubbed last night and they are mentally fragile in addition to having the worst goaltending in the NHL.

Score early, score often.

BTW, Flames fans are advocating a brawl to start the game off and/or running McDavid.

This is why I hope he puts up a 6 point night on them. Just to shut up those fans.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I've watched a couple of Calgary games and they are an absolute mess. Horrible goaltending and defence. Their forwards don't produce much offensive pressure either except for the Johnny g line. There is no reason we should lose this game.

I haven't really been following the Flames, but I was wondering how the guy that invented hockey was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad