Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Catching the Flames on a back to back.

Hope the boys come out hard and fix up our goal differential in this game so that we look better in the standings!

McDavid is due for his first hat trick and Hopkins is due for his first 4 point night of the season!

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
First true must-win of the season.

A win catapults us into sniffing distance of a playoff spot, a loss probably puts us in a 5 point hole. It also might be the breaking point for the Flames season.

Catching a team with terrible goaltending and a struggling defense on a back to back? I want to see another 5 goals.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
they are ripe for the picking. I hope Connor Mcdavid blows them up tomorrow with 4 points, 2 goals, and we blow them out again

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Flames goaltending has apparently been awful. Normally this would imply a Flames shutout incoming......but one cannot predict these things accurately anymore due to the McDavid effect.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Nothing sweeter than putting the final nail in the Flames coffin.. out of the playoffs before November 1st. Now they can suffer like we used to... except they also have to suffer watching McDavid :laugh:

Last edited:

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
This is one of those games the Oilers HAVE to win. Considering how tough the first 20 games are to start the season, this is 2 points they can't let slip away. Hopefully, they actually show up and play a full 60 minutes this time, I can't handle another half-assed effort, seen more than enough of those to the flames.

Our top two lines are cooking, but it's time for the third line to step up.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
A winnable/huge momentum season-changer? I know how these games HAVE gone the last 5 years.

I want to believe...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
First true must-win of the season.

A win catapults us into sniffing distance of a playoff spot, a loss probably puts us in a 5 point hole. It also might be the breaking point for the Flames season.

Catching a team with terrible goaltending and a struggling defense on a back to back? I want to see another 5 goals.

Its probably ridiculous to talk about playoffs but lets sink the Flames fortunes with a Win anyway. I look at it more as breaking the Flames. Would like the Oilers to just hammer them tonight.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its probably ridiculous to talk about playoffs but lets sink the Flames fortunes with a Win anyway. I look at it more as breaking the Flames. Would like the Oilers to just hammer them tonight.

Yup, time to let them know what it's like. That said our division maybe weak enough for us to make a run if we get some reasonable defense and goaltending.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
so Reinhart might be in for tomorrows game and I'd love to see the line up like this

Sekera-Nurse
Klefbom-Gryba
Reinhart-Fayne/Davidson

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

I'm far from projecting the playoffs for the Oilers, but keeping pace with the lower seeds is the absolute most important thing that can happen for the Oilers this year.

The hockey needs to stay somewhat relevant.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm far from projecting the playoffs for the Oilers, but keeping pace with the lower seeds is the absolute most important thing that can happen for the Oilers this year.

The hockey needs to stay relevant.

Exactly. That's how a team learns to win and get the oppositions best.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't have a good feeling about this game.

Even McLellan said he's wondering which team will show up. Whenever EDM gets a little bit of confidence they go into a game and completely get away from everything and just sort of revert back to old habits -- Like they accomplished something amazing and feel like they can "take a break and coast". McLellan wants the team to continue to put the foot to the gas. Get the feeling it'll be option #1. :cry:

I mean Calgary is just God awful. They have no confidence and are playing a back to back. Common sense any other team would come out hard and take it to them, but we all know that never tends to be the case with the Oil. :help: A very small percentage in me thinks they will do just that and the reason it's so low is that we all know how often they go back to old habits. It'll take a long time for me to fully believe they can play hard on a nightly basis.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Guys like Hall and Nuge should come out with fire because Calgary has owned us. HNIC BOA, they had all better show a damn pulse out there!

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
This is a trap game. If the Oilers walk into the rink with the hubris shown by the first few posters here, this could be embarrassing.

That said, after his big game against them earlier, McDavid could cement for himself the title of "Flames-killer" with another one. One hopes, one hopes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm pretty nervous for the game. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the best game of the Flames year. You have to imagine that team is looking at the game as life or death. The oilers can't let a desperate team gain any confidence.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup, time to let them know what it's like. That said our division maybe weak enough for us to make a run if we get some reasonable defense and goaltending.
Definitely prefer your new avatar to the one you have been sporting lately!!! And I am even a big Landeskog fan going back to his Ranger days. :)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm pretty nervous for the game. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the best game of the Flames year. You have to imagine that team is looking at the game as life or death. The oilers can't let a desperate team gain any confidence.

My feelings as well. This is a character game for the Oilers. If they want to be anything but pretenders these are the games they need to make a statement in.

The Pacific is wide open this year. It is actually possible that 86 points could get you 3rd which is pretty much unheard of in recent years. The Oilers need to run the table on the Flames and Arizona.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't have a good feeling about this game.

Me too. The Oilers never do well in statement games where they are expected to win and you just know that the Flames are due for a breakout game and there's no slumpbuster like the Oilers.

I want to believe, I really do, but I can't believe until I see it. I believe in TMac and ConMac, it's the rest of the team that I worry about.
Very nervous about this one mainly because there's hope and a loss in this one could dash it pretty quickly.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm missing this one for Halloween festivities, so I'm hoping to check my phone throughout the night to see a dominant Oilers win.

That said, I also share the nervousness.. It's a game we really should be winning and in the past that meant we were gonna bomb it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad